PDA

View Full Version : Rifles & the WWW

zap
06-30-2004, 10:46 AM
I went down towards D.C. yesterday to do a local team nooner training ride in Rock Creek Park. As I got closer to the starting point, I noticed helicopters hovering. At the intersection close to the ride start, police officers in flak jackets were squatting around trees with rifles in hand and police cars driving up & down Rock Creek Park at a pretty good clip.

As we gathered for the start of the ride, we briefly speculated on the police activity. Nobody had any idea so discussions quickly changed to the TdF, shaved legs, etc. After 5 minutes we started the ride and the whole scene was forgotten.

Well it turns out that D.C. had turned into the Wild Wild West. Watching the local news last night, I learned that a nearby Bank was robbed by three fellows brandishing rifles and speeding away in their first get away car towards Rock Creek Park. They set the first car on fire and continued their escape using a second vehicle.

We never saw any suspicious activities (probably only would have noticed if the get away car ran us off the road) while circling the park umpteen times and climbing every hill in the vicinity. I had forgotten the whole scene until the newscast.

Upon reflection, I find it interesting that none of us appeared to be overly concerned about the police activity. But then again, during the D.C. area snipper incident two years ago, cyclists were out while our neighbors stayed at home.

Interesting lot, we cyclists.

flydhest
06-30-2004, 01:01 PM
I went down towards D.C. yesterday to do a local team nooner training ride in Rock Creek Park. As I got closer to the starting point, I noticed helicopters hovering. At the intersection close to the ride start, police officers in flak jackets were squatting around trees with rifles in hand and police cars driving up & down Rock Creek Park at a pretty good clip.

As we gathered for the start of the ride, we briefly speculated on the police activity. Nobody had any idea so discussions quickly changed to the TdF, shaved legs, etc. After 5 minutes we started the ride and the whole scene was forgotten.

Well it turns out that D.C. had turned into the Wild Wild West. Watching the local news last night, I learned that a nearby Bank was robbed by three fellows brandishing rifles and speeding away in their first get away car towards Rock Creek Park. They set the first car on fire and continued their escape using a second vehicle.

We never saw any suspicious activities (probably only would have noticed if the get away car ran us off the road) while circling the park umpteen times and climbing every hill in the vicinity. I had forgotten the whole scene until the newscast.

Upon reflection, I find it interesting that none of us appeared to be overly concerned about the police activity. But then again, during the D.C. area snipper incident two years ago, cyclists were out while our neighbors stayed at home.

Interesting lot, we cyclists.

uhhh, zap, if anybody asks, I was with you on that training ride . . . thanks. I'll buy you a new bike :D

Sandy
06-30-2004, 01:48 PM
Tell Flydhest no. Then be patient and wait a few more weeks, or possibly months. I foresee a 1 billion dollar reward for the arrest and conviction of the bad guys in these robberies. You can be the passing cyclist who saw Flydhest at the scene. I will say that I was in the bank as Flydhest tried and tried to climb over the 4 foot counter to get to the stash of cash. You know how the rest of the story goes. We will split the 1 billion dollars evenly, 200 million for you and 800 million for me (I have a lot of expenses).

You are much too smart to fall for Super Fly's pathetic offer. Stick with me, and most of your 150 million share (my expenses are really going up and up) of the reward money will be coming your way.

Perfect witness number two,

Dandy Sandy

Sandy
06-30-2004, 01:51 PM
No cadence computer yet. I have looked and looked for a wireless computer with cadence, that is easy to operate, not obtrusive when installed, and has an excellent record for durability. Heven't found one yet.

Sandy

Kevan
06-30-2004, 02:01 PM
cadence...

gotta laugh! :D

Bill Bove
06-30-2004, 03:04 PM
sandy, check out the Cat Eye Double Wireless. retail is about a buck and a half and so far seems to work very well. The new Mavic WinTech is also nice but cost is closer to 200 dollars.

TmcDet
06-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Bill is that Cateye double wireless really available yet? I have a friend that has been wanting to get one for month's but hasn't been to find one