PDA

View Full Version : Rolf Vigor wheels?

oldguy00
08-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Anyone try these, either the Vigor, or the Vigor-RS? Comments?
thx!

Sandy
08-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Do a search on "rolf vigor wheels" and you will get some excellent threads on your question.

In case you do not know how to do a search- Look above at the listing of options (in long narrow bluish colored strip) and you will see the word search. Click onto it, type in rolf vigor wheels and cllick on the word go. Presto, you will get the threads.

Sandy

DarrenCT
08-04-2007, 09:08 PM
i had a set of the rolf prima elan wheels that are super light and didn't like them. they just didn't feel solid imho...

dt swiss 240's + r1.1 or open pro is da way to go....

SoCalSteve
08-04-2007, 09:17 PM
i had a set of the rolf prima elan wheels that are super light and didn't like them. they just didn't feel solid imho...

dt swiss 240's + r1.1 or open pro is da way to go....

Or if you want even stiffer...Dt Swiss 240's laced to DT RR 1.2's...Now your talkin'

Just talkin'

Steve

DarrenCT
08-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Or if you want even stiffer...Dt Swiss 240's laced to DT RR 1.2's...Now your talkin'

Just talkin'

Steve

exactly...

fyi, its time for a beer.

-d

vaxn8r
08-05-2007, 12:25 AM
I own two sets of Rolfs.

Elan. This is a legit sub 1,300 g alum wheelset. I like 'em. Don't love 'em. I think they are too light for my needs and riding style. They do feel very light climbing so if that's your thing you may love them.

I wish I'd bought the Vigors. They're more aero, faster, probably better balanced if you know what I mean. They are universally loved. Elans...opinions vary.

I just got a set of tandem Vigors and I can't say enough good things. I've owned a half dozen different custom, handbuilt tandem wheelsets and nothing comes close to the Vigors. We are a stout team and climb standing. There is zero brake pad scrub. I've not encountered this before. They are light, roll super well, aero, seem well built. I don't see a weakness unless maybe you are touring. Then it's probably not your wheelset.

Rolf, the company is about 6 guys who are total wheelbuilding geeks. That's all they do and they're good at it. They are very responsive and have same day to next day turnaround. Rolf just noted my buddy's tandem Vigor hubset was an early version and rebuilt his wheel with the new hubset for no charge. Pretty cool!

fierte_poser
08-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Elan. This is a legit sub 1,300 g alum wheelset. I like 'em. Don't love 'em. I think they are too light for my needs and riding style. They do feel very light climbing so if that's your thing you may love them.

vaxn8r,

Can you elaborate on your post? What are 'your needs and riding style'? For comparison, I'm 145 and love to climb, and I currently have Campy Protons. I'm looking to upgrade to a $$$ wheelset.

And when you say, 'they do *feel* very light', do you mean they *are* very light and you can perceive this lightness while climbing, or do you mean something else?

Thanks,
Kent

gasman
08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Vax is a big ,strong guy and over the 180 lb reccomended weight limit for the Elans. But lots of other riders use them around here who are over the limit. I weigh about 175 and like but don't love them. They are so light that on fast decents they make me a bit nervous. They climb really great and roll well on flats. The Vigors are a much stronger, stiffer wheel that are used by many of the big boys in town.They are more aero than the elans. They roll well and seem to be indestructable.
Rolf stands behind their products-I had a spoke break on my elans after using them for about 6,000 miles. They quickly replaced the spoke and I had it back in a couple days.

oldguy00
08-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Vax is a big ,strong guy and over the 180 lb reccomended weight limit for the Elans. But lots of other riders use them around here who are over the limit. I weigh about 175 and like but don't love them. They are so light that on fast decents they make me a bit nervous. They climb really great and roll well on flats. The Vigors are a much stronger, stiffer wheel that are used by many of the big boys in town.They are more aero than the elans. They roll well and seem to be indestructable.
Rolf stands behind their products-I had a spoke break on my elans after using them for about 6,000 miles. They quickly replaced the spoke and I had it back in a couple days.

If I'm riding at a weight of 180, could I safely use the standard Vigors? My road rides are -generally smooth pavement, but there are usually a few bunny hops over train tracks. Or should I go with the RS version?

wasfast
08-06-2007, 02:11 PM
I called Rolf before I bought my Elans to ask about weight restrictions. They said there aren't any. I was told that they had a test rider in Eugene that was 245 and no issues.

I've had my Elans for nearly 4 years and lots of miles. I'm a larger rider was (195 now 185) and have no concerns about the durability of the Elans.

With the Vigors, having that few spokes means that if you damage a spoke, you're walking home most likely. Call the factory and they'll happily answer your questions.

gasman
08-06-2007, 02:33 PM
If I'm riding at a weight of 180, could I safely use the standard Vigors? My road rides are -generally smooth pavement, but there are usually a few bunny hops over train tracks. Or should I go with the RS version?

Either model would be fine but the RS is probably overkill-give them a call. They will answer your questions honestly.

vaxn8r
08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
vaxn8r,

Can you elaborate on your post? What are 'your needs and riding style'? For comparison, I'm 145 and love to climb, and I currently have Campy Protons. I'm looking to upgrade to a $$$ wheelset.

And when you say, 'they do *feel* very light', do you mean they *are* very light and you can perceive this lightness while climbing, or do you mean something else?

Thanks,
Kent
I have owned 2 sets of Protons and obviously the Elans. In comarison, you absoutley will be able to notice the difference between them. The Elans are about 500+g lighter than the Protons! What you give up is some descending "feel". It's hard to describe because when your on the Elans they descend fine. Then you get on a more typical wheelset and you've got more control at high speed through the twisties. But the Elans will accelerate better, they'll climb better. OTOH the Protons will last longer. Some people complain about Elans with braking vibrations. I never had this happen.

Again, if I had to do it again I'd get Vigors. If I weighed 50lbs less I'm not so sure. I've had fun with the Elans but I have so many wheelsets I just don't use them too much. Let me know if someone wants mine because I could easily sell them. Very, low mileage.

As for the weight limit, I've been assured that the 180 lbs is not a true limit. Lots of heavier guys use them and Rolf doesn't discourage it. I do suspect the heavier you are the quicker you'll wear them (bearings, braking surface, spoke failures etc.) but this applies to everything on a bike, not just wheels. I know of several tandem teams which race on Ksyriums. They go through them every year or so but that's OK, they're race wheels.

gasman
08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
I called Rolf before I bought my Elans to ask about weight restrictions. They said there aren't any. I was told that they had a test rider in Eugene that was 245 and no issues.
I've had my Elans for nearly 4 years and lots of miles. I'm a larger rider was (195 now 185) and have no concerns about the durability of the Elans.

With the Vigors, having that few spokes means that if you damage a spoke, you're walking home most likely. Call the factory and they'll happily answer your questions.

My bad- i thought there was a weight restriction.

I broke a rear non-drive spoke on my elans on the tour-de-blast in June. 38 miles back with the rear brake pads removed. It wasn't so bad and a risk with any low spoke count wheel.

Fixed
08-06-2007, 10:09 PM
bro i rode with rolf a few years back i think he had something wrong with his hip ... he kept stairing at my funky shimano paired spoke wheels.he was freind of shook ..
cheers :beer:

vaxn8r
08-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I thinks he's broken both hips. The second one while riding here in town. Had a bad fall. Still riding though.

jhcakilmer
08-06-2007, 11:31 PM
I don't have a lot of experience...I rode a friends bike for a couple of weeks, with the vigors, and I didn't like them at all.

- ride was very rigid, not forgiving at all....uncomfortable
- made creaking sounds while sprinting (wheels only had 400 miles of easy riding on them)
- question I have, since the paired spokes are so spread out, what happens if the spot that needs to be trued is between the pairs....it seems as though it pose a potential frustrating situation.

At 220lbs I punish wheels, but overall I've not had many problems with wheels. I was impressed with the aero effect, and rolling inertia on the flats, but sprinting, and climbing (especially at my weight) was a little intimidating.

I'm riding a set of DT Swiss 1450 right now, and they are great, except for the stupid radial lacing in the front....why people like this I'll never know. Though they don't have some of the aero advantages of the Vigor, overall seem to be more versitile, and durable.

I am probably way over the weight limit on these wheels, but any wheel that has a weight limit under 200lbs scares me....and probably rightly so.

fierte_poser
08-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. You've convinced me that the Elan Aero's are a wheelset I should consider. I'm sure I don't put out much power in all out sprints and I don't push it on technical descents (I save fast corners for my Interceptor ;) ). I also understand that the wheelset won't be as durable as my Protons.

And for the record, my 2006 Proton wheelset is said to weigh 1640g, while the 2007 Elan Aero's are said to weigh 1300g... a difference of 0.75 lbs.

One more question... how difficult is it to change tires on the Elan Aero? I generally use Continental GP4000's, but any info would be useful.

Kent

vaxn8r
08-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Tire changing is a breeze with Elans.

My Protons both weighed close to 1,750g/set, maybe a tad more or less iirc. The newest set is 2004 or 2005, the first set is from 2000. I'd be surprised if Neutrons weigh less than 1,600g in a clincher version. Compared to Ksyrium SSC SL and Shimano DA which weigh almost exactly the same, you will save a little over 300g per wheelset. I know the Protons weigh more than either of those two wheelsets.

I hope you like them. You will notice the difference.