PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Dura Ace 7700/7701 wheels experience

eddief
12-27-2003, 08:11 PM
Have a used set of 7701's coming and was wondering if any of you knowledgeable contributors have experience or anecdotal evidence to share about quality, reliability, ride characteristics, how cool you think they look, etc.

Sandy
12-28-2003, 06:49 AM
Eddie,

I seldom see these wheels, but I have heard a few good comments about them. The owner of a bicycle shop said that he prefers them to the Ksyrium SSC wheels, since they have a much better ride quality. I once followed a cyclist down a hill on my Open Pros and noticed how much faster he seemed on the Shimano 7700 wheels than me on the Open Pro set. He later said that he was an engineer and he liked the engineering/design aspects of the wheel, in particular the spokes. Go to Roadbikereview.com, as I am sure that they have a few reviews there. Hope that helps you.

Sandy

Random
12-29-2003, 12:22 PM
I must say, I love these wheels. I have ridden two sets over the last couple of years, over 30,000 miles between them, starting with the "proto" green models. I find them to be very quick and very tough. I am not easy on wheels, and tend to climb a lot, as well as descend :) I outfitted the wheels with Veloflex Paves and the total experience is remarkable. I am back on my winter wheels for the season and I miss the Dura-ace wheels - but Spring is coming.

Too Tall
12-29-2003, 12:29 PM
An LBS let me try a set for two weeks. They a very very nice in windy conditions and do have a smooth ride. My gripe is flex in the rear wheel during hard jumps. Otherwise a marvelous product.