PDA

View Full Version : Grrr!

Jason E
08-03-2007, 10:46 PM
"It'll just be a side project." "A few bucks, some spare parts"

So I had this nice 2003 oclv laying around since my Ottrott came back from paint. It was a little worn in the paint, but altogether in great condition. It's been just hanging there, taunting me, while my Other bikes got ridden, so I hatched a plan.

New Coat of paint in Mrs. E's Alma Matta Orange ('Cuse), a nice Blue KingHeadset, and some parts I have laying around. A little coin, sure, but the Paint and the HS were all I'd have to pay for. Everything else I have laying around.

It came back from Wisconsin looking sharp. I thought this may be what it takes to get her toolin on a road bike, though a size too big, it would be a start. I have no problem with her riding her Hybrid, but it would be fun to go on the road together.

I'm in the garage, not more then 30 minutes ago, about to run the derailleur cables, when I tighten on the guide/barrel adjuster on the non-drive side by the headtube. It was off for painting.

I tighten it down, snug it and notice it feels loose. I touch it and it falls off in my hand. The threaded portion of the stud broke right off.

Now TREK just had this bike so I feel like when they hear this they are gonna think I'm selling them a "JRA" even though I know I am not.

Has anyone seen this before on an OCLV? I've worked in shops for years and never saw this sort of release. Will they even fix this on an old frame? I mean, worst case, if this is my new single speed, I'll live, but c'mon.

I guess I could be more and less pissed.

It's an old frame, so whatever, but if it were a new frame I know they'd make it right. I am curious to see how this plays out when I call them on Monday.

:confused:

Jason E
08-03-2007, 10:47 PM
As an aside, I like Trek, never had any problems with them or their warranty dept, but this particular type of claim is all sort new to me.

Louis
08-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Off the top of my head I can think of two outside the box options:

1) Run the cable housing all the way down to the BB cable guide. (I'm not sure how the extra friction might affect the shifting.)

2) Turn it into a "10 speed" - the right side is still fine (hopefully). If you really want to get funky you can use a long cage r-der and you can put a MTB cassette in back and still get a huge range of gears.

Louis

Jason E
08-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Thanks L,

Yeah, those are options, but I' most likely just make it a SS and get her something else with gears.

The shame of it is if it cannot be fixed, but they cover it, they'll ship out something and then I'll have to send them a piece of this one over a simple boss. Seems like a waste.

Well, I'll call them later and see.