PDA

View Full Version : Sad News

William
06-29-2004, 07:35 PM
I just got off the phone with a friend and student of mine who is a police officer in a town next to Boston. Yesterday he was called to the scene of a fatal accident involving a 60+ year old cyclist who had run into the side of a van that had turned in front of him. From what I could gather this gentleman was an avid cyclist (in very good shape for his age) that put in a lot of mileage around the area. He apparently wasn't wearing a helmet and hit the van at a high rate of speed. The description of the injuries indicated trauma to the head with not a lot of outward signs but (without going into detail) evidence of massive brain swelling.
I don't know all the details of the traffic layout, but there was a roundabout involved, which frankly as a cyclist I would avoid at all costs.

I don't want to turn this into a "should have worn a helmet" thread. Rather I wanted to send out my condolences to his friends and family as well as just remind everyone to be careful out there. I know there are a lot of cyclists from Mass here and someone may know this gentleman.

Things can go from happy to tragic in an instant so always be careful and assume that no one sees you out there. Spot intersections before you enter them, even if you have the light. Don't run lights or stop signs...if a car is coming through, you lose every time.

Stay safe,

William

davids
06-30-2004, 08:49 AM
That's horrible!

You don't know what town it was in, do you?

I do my best to avoid rotaries (which is what we call them in Boston - I'm not surprised the term is different way down there in RI! ;)), but I went through one in Brookline on Sunday that had me looking every direction I could as rapidly as possible. And this was at 9:30 on a Sunday, in light traffic. They're bad news.

William
06-30-2004, 11:43 AM
My buddy is a Braintree officer so that's likely where the accident occured.

I do my best to avoid rotaries (which is what we call them in Boston - I'm not surprised the term is different way down there in RI! ;) ),

Rhode Island is a whole different world. ;) Itry to stay away from them as well, too many cars coming from too many directions all at one time.

William

Dekonick
06-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Deleted due to HIPPA concerns.

pjm
07-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Yet another one...
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=262479&category=SARATOGA&BCCode=&newsdate=7/1/2004
Scary, as I ride this road all the time.

Madship
07-01-2004, 09:01 AM
I ride that road as well, Wednesday nights ususally. I was on it last night as Fox was preparing their peice. Very sad. Someone had place flowers on the ground at the scene.

BumbleBeeDave
07-01-2004, 09:45 AM
. . . It is substantially the same as our story in my paper, The Daily Gazette, this morning . . .

Ryan's name does not sound familiar, but there are many cyclists I have been out with on group rides who I would know by face, but not by name.

I am very familiar with this accident scene, as this spot is on the "river loop" route that I have ridden in excess of 50 times. There are several gentle curves in this section and I can pretty well guess what happened . . . kid was going too fast and cut the corner or went off the outside of the other curve there.

Also note that the victim was not carrying any kind of ID. I'm not sure that it would have helped with treatment, but carrying some ID is always a good idea. I had some dog tags made with name, address, SS#, medical info, etc, and always wear them when I ride. I also take my DL with me.

BBDave

<<< Two deadly accidents under investigation
Clifton Park -- Bicyclist struck by vehicle; woman dies in one-car crash
By DENNIS YUSKO, Staff writer
First published: Thursday, July 1, 2004

Police investigated two vehicle-related fatalities in Saratoga County, including the death of a 32-year-old bicyclist who was struck by a vehicle on Riverview Road in Clifton Park.

David T. Ryan of 1365 Van Antwerp Road, Niskayuna, died Tuesday after being hit by a vehicle operated by 18-year-old Joshua Paniccia of Niskayuna, State Police Lt. Timothy Munro said.

Paniccia, of 2201 Lynnwood Drive, was driving north at excessive speed at about 7:30 p.m. when he lost control of his vehicle just east of Sugarhill Road, crossed the road and hit the bicyclist, Munro said.

"The investigation is continuing. We'll make a determination on charges once all the evidence is evaluated," Munro said.

Ryan, who was not carrying identification, died at the scene, Saratoga County Coroner John DeMartino said. Authorities ultimately identified him through responses to media reports of the accident.

In the crash in which Ryan was killed, police said both Paniccia and a passenger, Douglas Pazeke, 18, of 29 East St., Niskayuna, received minor injuries. Munro would not comment if drugs or alcohol played a part in the crash.

Paniccia's vehicle sustained substantial damage. Contrary to early reports, he did not flee the scene.

Anyone having any additional information about the incident should call State Police in Wilton at 583-7000.>>>

William
07-01-2004, 10:07 AM
I am sadden to hear of these events.

Good point on I.D. carry. You should always carry I.D. with any special medical information. I like your Dog Tag method.
I have an old license with current info laminated on the back side. I also punched a hole in one corner for a key ring with one key.

William

pjm
07-01-2004, 03:36 PM
David T. Ryan is listed as a Mohawk-Hudson Cycling Club member. So sad.

johnnyk
07-01-2004, 04:48 PM
It truly is sad. Here in Connecticut it became such a problem that the State adopted a statute for this situation.

It reads: Sec. 14-242F; No person operating a motor vehicle who overtakes and passes a person riding a bicycle and proceeding in the same direction shall make a right turn at any intersection or into any private road or driveway unless the turn can be made with reasonable safety and will not impede the travel of the person riding the bicycle.

Since this became a statute a few years ago I have not heard whether or not it ever had to be used after an accident of this nature.

Bruce K
07-01-2004, 05:22 PM
There is a company that advertises in the bike magazines called Road ID or something like that.

They make a dog tag style of ID (my teenager's choice) and a velcro band with an engraved ID plate that you can wear on your ankle, as a wristband, or as a watchband (my method).

The price is reasonable and the service freindly and quick.

It seemed to me to be the easiest way to have ID readily available without people having to think about looking in your saddlebag or jersey pockets.

BK

Dekonick
07-01-2004, 07:48 PM

Dekonick
07-01-2004, 07:51 PM
a random thought- I just photocopy my drivers lic. and laminate it. I keep it in my bag with my spare tube, cell phone, patch kit and $$. I like the bicycling magazine ID leg band. I may have to get one!

Ride safe!

rnhood
07-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Can someone translate the description of his injuries?

Dekonick
07-01-2004, 08:09 PM

Please be safe out there folks!

rnhood
07-01-2004, 08:22 PM
This sounds terrible. Now I wish I had not asked. I am just real glad he is alive. This has been a bad week. The individual killed referred to in the original post on this thread was riding as part of a threesome of friends on a training ride. He decided to drop the other two and accelerated. He built a bit of a lead and, trying to maintain this lead, he ran a stop sign and just did not see the van in time. The other two got there quickly and tried to revive him - but to no avail. Very tragic.

Kevin
07-01-2004, 08:22 PM
I use the Road Bike ID velcro band for the wrist. You get to include your address and three telephone numbers.

Kevin

William
07-01-2004, 08:55 PM
The individual killed referred to in the original post on this thread was riding as part of a threesome of friends on a training ride. He decided to drop the other two and accelerated. He built a bit of a lead and, trying to maintain this lead, he ran a stop sign and just did not see the van in time. The other two got there quickly and tried to revive him - but to no avail. Very tragic.

Apparently the kid driving the van had a suspended license with numerous traffic violations racked up. There was also the smell of pot present but none found. This guy shouldn't have been driving but unfortunatly the cyclist ran a stop sign...which will probably make all that a moot point.

William

William
07-01-2004, 08:57 PM
I'm likeing the sound of the Bike ID. band. I'm going to look into that one.

William

Dekonick
07-01-2004, 09:00 PM
I hate when my friends run red lights or stop signs. I feel forced to follow when riding with them. It puts YOU at risk, and makes cyclists look bad in the eyes of motorists. Bummer.

Cars suck.