PDA

View Full Version : dbrk

LegendRider
06-29-2004, 03:11 PM
dbrk's passion for bicycles is a joy to behold. I'm not a collector or traditionalist (I only own two bikes - Legend and Faggin fixed gear), but I simply love how much he loves bicycles.

Black Bart
06-29-2004, 03:29 PM
"In the life of worlds, races, nations, and individuals, Karma cannot act unless there is an appropriate instrument provided for its action. And until such appropriate instrument is found, that Karma related to it remains unexpended. While a man is experiencing Karma in the instrument provided, his other unexpended Karma is not exhausted through other beings or means, but is held reserved for future operation; and lapse of time during which no operation of that Karma is felt causes no deterioration in its force or change in its nature."

I think our good Doctor has made clear what he believes to be an "appropriate instrument". He seemingly has about fifty of 'em.

oracle
06-29-2004, 03:33 PM
beavis: "heheheh he be holding his passion..passion passion! hehhehheh!

butthead: "shut up beavis...why are you exited about his passion? huhuhuh"

dbrk
06-30-2004, 07:33 AM
I'm grateful for these kind words. It's my hope that I inspire Fellow Geeks, Nuts, and Flakes and create an appropriate foil for those of you with spouses you must persuade when you buy another bike. As in, "Well, I know this guy...and HE has...", all in the service of making yourself look sane and only mildly addicted while I am cast in the role of Full-Fledged Nut Case, a role I am only too happy to take should it ever do you any good. For those with Buddhist-like inhibitions about material acquisitions, their impermanence, and sure place in advancing the karmic roles of suffering, I say, Get Over It! Buy yerself a bike! Don't worry about it! Go for a ride on two or three bikes at a time with your Celestial Body!!

I have never subscribed to Zen minimalism except when it comes to the ordinary economies of being. Lust is good! How long you think yer gonna have a pulse? Enjoy! Hindus, it is said, have 330 million gods (at the very least) and while I do not aspire to own any fixed number of bicycles, I would like to try that many and ride that many miles before I die (this time, since rebirth means redeath as well). I am also of the opinion that there are at least that many ways to have fun on a bicycle and to fit one properly. Bicycles are like gopis and we are like Krsna: dance with them all, He says! Hari, hari, and all that! Why not?

N.B, I would love to know BlackBart's source for that quotation, it being one that I wholly subscribe to; a far more subtle rendering of the law of karma than is usually passed off in most western renditions of this complex notion. Nice job!

Current profligate lust will soon deliver Mr Thompson's Hors so that I can finally see what all the hubbub is about. Since this is a Serotta-Kirk collaboration, it just has to be good: both have a way of getting it especially right. This past week an old Mercian with skinny 531 tubes showed up from JB: I paid less than $150 for the f/f on eBay and a lot more than that for a classic Mercian paintjob, you know, the sort with the barbershop pole seat tube? I'll post some pictures lalter today if I get a chance. I'm in the midst of shellacking the bar tape honey brown to match the Brooks B-17 saddle. All together now: INHALE on the denatured alcohol in the shellac mix!! This will cause further bicycle-induced madness. Good, good, again, please...

There is also a near-to-the-last-new-one Cooper that should be shipped this week. Ron really is going to retire and when that happens we will see the passing again of another Great One. Mine will look a bit like Cranky's but is, again, oldtubes, old fork crown, oldold stuff for a classic look and a great ride. Mike Barry of Mariposa has finished my 650B single speeder with Honjo fenders, integrated lighting, and custom front rack, a sort of Rene Herse gone one speed. I need to get to Toronto soon.

This week some 35 people are coming to our house to practice yoga and listen to me blah-blah, so I don't know how much I will be around to hang with my Serottapals. But this is such a wonderful lot of folks, I really enjoy the company. Thanks for that, and thanks to Ben for making more than just great bicycles.

Gotta go breathe some denatured alcohol. Did you know that you can mix your own shellac to get _just_ the right color? How good is that?

dbrk