PDA

View Full Version : Pedal stroke

toaster
08-02-2007, 09:44 AM
What are some of the current theories regarding heels down or toes down pedaling styles?

I recently changed my pedaling style a bit when I started to question the idea of concentrating on the power part of the pedal stroke (approximately at 1-2 o'clock to 3-4 o'clock) and therefore pedaling with my heels down at those angles to try and gain more leverage there.

Currently, I'm relieving the tension in the lower leg (flexion in the anterior tibialis and contraction in the soleus) by pedaling at the above power part of my pedal stroke with a neutral heel position, i.e. neither heels down or toe down.

What I'm noticing is that without the tension in the lower leg (probably wasted watts) I can focus more on the powerful gluteus muscles (seated, of course) and pedal more efficiently.

Wouldn't this neutral attitude of the heels allow the soleus and gastrocnemius to contribute more naturally? Was the lower leg tension contributing to my tighter calf muscles which required more frequent stretching?

Ray
08-02-2007, 09:56 AM
What are some of the current theories regarding heels down or toes down pedaling styles?

I recently changed my pedaling style a bit when I started to question the idea of concentrating on the power part of the pedal stroke (approximately at 1-2 o'clock to 3-4 o'clock) and therefore pedaling with my heels down at those angles to try and gain more leverage there.

Currently, I'm relieving the tension in the lower leg (flexion in the anterior tibialis and contraction in the soleus) by pedaling at the above power part of my pedal stroke with a neutral heel position, i.e. neither heels down or toe down.

What I'm noticing is that without the tension in the lower leg (probably wasted watts) I can focus more on the powerful gluteus muscles (seated, of course) and pedal more efficiently.

Wouldn't this neutral attitude of the heels allow the soleus and gastrocnemius to contribute more naturally? Was the lower leg tension contributing to my tighter calf muscles which required more frequent stretching?
From what I can tell, there's a new theory every week between cleat placement and heel up or toe up or level or whatever. With all of those new theories, I say do what feels right to you - even if it only feels right because you've been doing it for years. That's good enough reason sometimes.

-Ray

Fixed
08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
bro old habits die hard imho

ask your coach .
cheers :beer:

Squint
08-02-2007, 10:22 AM
http://vnuuk.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/red_herring.jpg

regularguy412
08-02-2007, 11:02 AM
One of Greg's early coaches/ DS's was Cyrille Guimard. IIRC, he asserted that 'during seated pedaling, the calf should be thought of as nothing more than a taught string through which power from the upper leg and buttocks is passed to the foot/ pedal'.

This method seems to work for me,, (maybe because I've been doing it a long time).

Mike in AR

andy mac
08-02-2007, 12:43 PM
http://www.topbike.com.au/pdfs/colson-bicyc-austjuly_aug2002.pdf

from this site:

http://www.topbike.com.au/physio.htm

:beer:

andy