PDA

View Full Version : Chain recommendations

cowboys
08-01-2007, 04:58 PM
I have a campy record groupo and wanted opinions on what quick connect/disconnect chain is recommended by serotta owners. thanks

Bill Bove
08-01-2007, 05:05 PM
I use a Sram PC 1090R, one note, Sram recomends that you NOT reuse the connecting link, that you replace it whenever you break the chain. I have not had this issue arise as I clean my chain on the bike. I did ask them how many quick links you could use on a chain and they said as many as you want, they just didn't want you to open and close one link.

cleavel
08-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi,

I have been using Wipperman (stainless and "regular") since 2003 and I've been very happen with them. I use Wipperman on all of my road bikes.

cowboys
08-01-2007, 05:09 PM
I am a little confused by this.....are you saying that you have to replace the conncecting link each time it is opended? what would be the use of this?
Also, why do you have a quick disconnect link if you dont use it to take the chain off when you clean it??? thanks

Bill Bove
08-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Yes and I'm lazy.

Sram wants you to buy a new link for four bucks each time you open the chain, my guess is so the connecting link isn't overstressed and fails.

I use the link because it comes with the chain, wich I like and is cheaper than Campy's. I don't take the chain off to clean it because I don't think you have too. A rag soaked in solvent works well enough for me. Some people prefer one of those chain cleaner contraptions, I think they're messy, and some take it off and soak it. It all works, my way works for me.

abqhudson
08-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I really like the KMC X10SL chain on my campy drivetrain. Quiet and smooth - wears well. Reusable quick link makes cleaning a snap.

Jim

hypnos
08-01-2007, 08:59 PM
The link the comes with the SRAM 10-speed chains are not meant to be reopened. In fact, they call it a Snap-Lock. If you want a removable link for use with an ultra-narrow 10-speed chain (SRAM, Campy, or SRAM), get a Superlink IV (http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0337-59') .

pdxmech13
08-01-2007, 09:01 PM
for best performance i'd use the campy.

quick links are the devils work......

don compton
08-01-2007, 09:20 PM
for best performance i'd use the campy.

quick links are the devils work......
+1, no-brainer. buy the master link, but don't use it until you need it.
don c.

jemoryl
08-01-2007, 09:24 PM
I really like the KMC X10SL chain on my campy drivetrain. Quiet and smooth - wears well. Reusable quick link makes cleaning a snap.

Jim

I'm having good luck with a KMC X10SC, which is the non-drilled out version of the above (much cheaper, unless you are really concerned about weight). Works as well or better than my genuine Campy chain (also fastened with a KMC Missing Link, BTW).

Simon Q
08-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Wipperman works as well as Campy IMHO and the link is child's play.

fiamme red
08-01-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't take the chain off to clean it because I don't think you have too. A rag soaked in solvent works well enough for me.I'm curious, Bill, what kind of solvent do you use? Citrus or petroleum based?

chuckred
08-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I am a little confused by this.....are you saying that you have to replace the conncecting link each time it is opended? what would be the use of this?
Also, why do you have a quick disconnect link if you dont use it to take the chain off when you clean it??? thanks

The real benefit of a quick disconnect link is really to have a spare link to throw on when you break a chain on your mountain bike - throw the quick link on and you're off again...

I don't see the point in taking a chain off your road bike to clean it - they clean up pretty easily on the bike...

thwart
08-01-2007, 11:02 PM
The link the comes with the SRAM 10-speed chains are not meant to be reopened. In fact, they call it a Snap-Lock. If you want a removable link for use with an ultra-narrow 10-speed chain (SRAM, Campy, or SRAM), get a Superlink IV .
I agree. On different bikes, I have an older (wider) Campy 10 speed chain, a Wipperman 10 spd Campy chain, and an Ultra Narrow Campy with a Superlink. The last one is definitely the best in terms of noise and shifting smoothness. Only 400 miles, so we'll see about durability...

dancinkozmo
08-02-2007, 06:50 AM
sorry for hijacking...if you use a campy chain, do you need to install it with their tool as well ??

jemoryl
08-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Wipperman works as well as Campy IMHO and the link is child's play.

There have been some issues with Wipperman chains cracking around the rivet holes - especially with the SS version. Wonder if they have got that sorted?

znfdl
08-02-2007, 08:37 AM
I use a camp chain with the wipperman link for shimano. Best combination that I have found. As for wipperman chains, I used to break them every 800 miles.

Dekonick
08-02-2007, 08:41 AM
The real benefit of a quick disconnect link is really to have a spare link to throw on when you break a chain on your mountain bike - throw the quick link on and you're off again...

I don't see the point in taking a chain off your road bike to clean it - they clean up pretty easily on the bike...

one reason is chains wear faster than cassette's. You can have 2 or 3 chains that you rotate on a weekly (or mileage) basis so they wear evenly, and match the cassette's wear. No skipping with a new chain on an old cassette... and when the three chains are gonners, the cassette will be toast as well.

AND - you can always have a clean chain -
pop it off, into the degreaser/ultrasonic cleaner/whatever method you want - meanwhile you put the clean chain on and go ride. Come back, and dry the now clean spare chain, and repeat next week. (BTW - an air compressor dries a chain like a champ - but make sure you have a towel to catch the spray...

:)

Kurt
08-02-2007, 09:27 AM
I use a camp chain with the wipperman link for shimano. Best combination that I have found. As for wipperman chains, I used to break them every 800 miles.

the UN campy chain is a thing of beauty to me and work great with the connex link - I have over 30k+ using this combo and never an issue and totally quiet using atb