PDA

View Full Version : Techno-Athletes Redefine Natural

Moosedryvr
08-01-2007, 04:14 PM
An interesting article from today's Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/31/AR2007073101997.html?hpid=artslot

Discuss...

Moosedryvr
08-01-2007, 04:21 PM
"By using these agents to transform our bodies for the sake of better bodily performance, we mock the very excellence of our own individual embodiment that superior performance is meant to display."
- Leon R. Kass, University of Chicago and Harvard-trained bioethicist, former chairman and current member of the President's Council on Bioethics

Amen.

Shawn G

MarleyMon
08-01-2007, 06:28 PM
"I think there is still a chance, at least in Major League Baseball, that the culture of the undoctored athlete could be reasserted by the players themselves, by simply shaming their teammates who are in a way betraying the game.

"What is shame? Shame is the experience that we feel when we are caught out in our actions that show the gap between what we would like to be and what we are. That's the way stigma and social shame work."

Not likely. I think Barry Bonds knows no shame and is in fact very proud of himself.
He has maximized his potential and his bank account through, in his mind, hard work. I doubt he cares what anyone thinks of him.

I lean to the "anything goes" camp. So much of sport involves risk taking already.

I can get too excited about spectator sports of any kind.
"Stop watching, start playing", sez me.