PDA

View Full Version : Bicycling Australia

rpm
08-01-2007, 02:45 PM
A question to our friends from down under. Is this magazine worth ordering in its cheaper electronic form? I'd also like to know whether Emma Colson writes reguarly in it. I'm a big fan of hers, and if she's writing in it regularly, it might be worth the price for her columns alone.

cs124
08-01-2007, 05:51 PM
BA is not bad. It's sort of what Bicycling should be. Lots of "How To..." articles but not the "Ripped quads in 4 days!" type. More like "Salvatore Comesso shows you how to launch attacks that stick" and "Climing the Ardenes with Cadel Evans".

Emma Coulson was regular contributor a few years ago but I haven't seen any of her articles in the recent editions.

In the print version at least, there's lots of local racing and club stuff that non-aussies would probably find a bit of a yawn.

Russity
08-01-2007, 06:04 PM
BA is not bad. It's sort of what Bicycling should be. Lots of "How To..." articles but not the "Ripped quads in 4 days!" type. More like "Salvatore Comesso shows you how to launch attacks that stick" and "Climing the Ardenes with Cadel Evans".

Emma Coulson was regular contributor a few years ago but I haven't seen any of her articles in the recent editions.

In the print version at least, there's lots of local racing and club stuff that non-aussies would probably find a bit of a yawn.

cs124 tells it like it is. A great magazine, but possibly not too much diffrent to what you guys already have. RIDE magazine is another Aussie mag, which comes out quarterly and is loaded with stuff. Although there is alot of Aussie specific articles, it is still a great read. If you get the chance, check it out. R.

rustychisel
08-01-2007, 08:23 PM
No. Fairly persuasively lightweight, has suffered from typographical and art errors. 'Ride' magazine is the one to go for for quality race oriented product and analysis, it's big and phat and glossy; available in the US in print form through www.bicyclinghub.com I believe.

Simon Q
08-01-2007, 10:05 PM
I think I have said this before but I just want to confirm what these guys are saying. My local newsagent seems to have all the main English speaking cycling mags (US, Candaian, UK and Aus at least) and IMHO Ride is by some margin the best produced mag anywhere. Sure, it has some local content but mainly covers the international scene and has four in depth bike reviews and a new products section. Check it out.

I also dug Emma's articles. I have been to see Emma Colson at Olympic Park in Melbourne and she offers what seems to be an almost Andy Pruitt style analysis without the computer graphics. Gave me some really great exercises to correct imbalances and also soem riding technique pointers. Worth remembering for the Melbourne posse.

hybridbellbaske
08-01-2007, 10:44 PM
I agree with rustychisel. I cannot read Bicycling Australia because the proofreading is just so appalling.

andy mac
08-02-2007, 03:44 AM
fyi, the talented and lovely emma has a website with a ton of great free info on it:

http://www.topbike.com.au/physio.htm

:beer:

andy