PDA

View Full Version : 29.4mm carbon seatpost recommendations?

TimD
08-01-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm starting to look for a carbon post for my Marcelo. Required diameter is 29.4mm IIRC. Does anyone have items to recommend or to avoid?

Thanks!

merckx
08-01-2007, 12:04 PM
FSA makes the Force lite in a 29.4. However, I just got a USE shim for my marcelo and use a Nitto NJSP72 post which offers great setback, infinite tilt adjustment and is strong as heck. Best of luck.

jeffg
08-01-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm starting to look for a carbon post for my Marcelo. Required diameter is 29.4mm IIRC. Does anyone have items to recommend or to avoid?

Thanks!

That's the right carbon post for the job!

cadence90
08-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Yes, 29.4mm
I asked this same question when I got my Marcelo.

The FSA is the only one I've seen in the US.
The WR Compositi is nice but too expensive, imho.
I just use a 27.2 shim.

SoCalSteve
08-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes, 29.4mm
I asked this same question when I got my Marcelo.

The FSA is the only one I've seen in the US.
The WR Compositi is nice but too expensive, imho.
I just use a 27.2 shim.

29.4 to 27.2 shim and then you have MANY more choices...

Thats what I did on my Marcello and it works perfectly.

I prefer the Cane Creek shim over the USE, if you care. :banana:

Nice bike! Its a really sublime ride, unlike my BLE which was "just too much" bike for me.

Good luck,

Steve

TimD
08-01-2007, 02:46 PM
The "IIRC" was down to me being too lazy to shlep out to the garage and measure my existing Thomson Elite with my handy digital caliper.

Is there not some concern re: shims and carbon posts? From an mechanical perspective I'm not sure why there would be, but since I don't trust the damn things I'm wary.

The Marcelo rocks to be sure, but mine (a 61cm) currently seems a bit too small and so I feel the need to keep fiddling with the reach. Or so I keep telling myself, in order to justify purchase of some new whizzy part. Had I not sat on the 66cm Ottrott on consignment at Mountain Cycology last weekend I probably would not be thinking this... [Ahneida, just buy it, it is gorgeous!]

Dave B
08-01-2007, 04:08 PM
This is the diameter on IF Steel Deluxe mtbs

Go with Thomson, they are the perfect design for everybody size...period.

TimD
08-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Agreed, I have several, but they are all straight. The bent design just doesn't do it for me so I'm surveying the market.

BTW, I very much doubt the assertion in another thread that the bent post is meaningfully less strong than the straight version, the claimant not obviously having conducted a test...but that's for the other thread.

Climb01742
08-02-2007, 03:54 AM
one more vote for a shim. i've never heard of any concerns about a carbon post and a shim. the shim will let you use a 27.2 post, giving you all sorts of options to get the setback and look you like.

Climb01742
08-02-2007, 03:57 AM
Its a really sublime ride, unlike my BLE which was "just too much" bike for me.

steve, i've never ridden a BLE, so i'm just curious. when you say it was too much bike, in what sense? not being argumentative at all; just curious. thanks!

dbrk
08-02-2007, 06:25 AM
When the seat collar is perfectly round, like it is on a Pegoretti, then there is no doubt that I would use a shim. I've done this a number of times and never had a problem. Shims don't look so great but work just as well if the seat tube top is more...sculpted. I've also used the Thompson in 29.4---always fine if you like the look of a shaft style post--- and the WRCompositi, which is expensive and a bit finicky to set up (it's the clamp with the bolts, nothing else) the but fine once you have it in place. Unless I already had a post, I'd use whatever I liked in 27.2 with the shim, easily had, no aesthetic interference, perfect function.

Of all the Pegs I've owned, BLE is by far the stiffest, most intense ride. ALL power goes to the drive train but definitely at some cost to comfort when compared to Marcelo or even the stiffer-than-Marcelo GGM, imhoatmo.

dbrk

TimD
08-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks dbrk. I looked about for a WR Compositi dealer and came up empty. Do you have a suggestion?

SoCalSteve
08-02-2007, 09:53 AM
When the seat collar is perfectly round, like it is on a Pegoretti, then there is no doubt that I would use a shim. I've done this a number of times and never had a problem. Shims don't look so great but work just as well if the seat tube top is more...sculpted. I've also used the Thompson in 29.4---always fine if you like the look of a shaft style post--- and the WRCompositi, which is expensive and a bit finicky to set up (it's the clamp with the bolts, nothing else) the but fine once you have it in place. Unless I already had a post, I'd use whatever I liked in 27.2 with the shim, easily had, no aesthetic interference, perfect function.

Of all the Pegs I've owned, BLE is by far the stiffest, most intense ride. ALL power goes to the drive train but definitely at some cost to comfort when compared to Marcelo or even the stiffer-than-Marcelo GGM, imhoatmo.

dbrk

+1

Climb01742
08-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks dbrk. I looked about for a WR Compositi dealer and came up empty. Do you have a suggestion?

tim, douglas enlightened me about this shop: http://www.wheelfineimports.com/index.html i think he can hook you up.

Loro_tomas
08-02-2007, 11:49 AM
For a less expensive option. Ridley's house brand of components 4ZA makes a inexpensive carbon seatpost. Any Ridley dealer can get that for you.

C-POST 29.4x300 CARBON SEATPOST 220g

cadence90
08-02-2007, 03:30 PM
tim, douglas enlightened me about this shop: http://www.wheelfineimports.com/index.html i think he can hook you up.
That looks like a great store. Thanks for posting.

Again, I second the shim option for this application but, if one absolutely "must have it", these guys also sell WR Compositi. (http://www.bikeonline.it/catalog/index.php?cPath=91&osCsid=3e95be7fef337b6443fc07df2d4b4ca1)
Good service; they speak/write English; but it is expensive and shipment is from Italy.

cadence90
08-02-2007, 03:34 PM
For a less expensive option. Ridley's house brand of components 4ZA makes a inexpensive carbon seatpost. Any Ridley dealer can get that for you.

C-POST 29.4x300 CARBON SEATPOST 220g
Nice suggestion. I think Glory Cycle sell them also.

By the way, Loro, I keep meaning to ask you: what brand/model are the cages on your Marcelo?
I love them; love the whole bike actually. :)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11530&stc=1