PDA

View Full Version : Happy Feet

Tom Kellogg
08-01-2007, 11:47 AM
:p

Shimano R-300 custom fit. Holy Moley! They feel like the straps aren't even done up, but your foot can't move at all. Super comfy ... functionally, they are amazing BUT,...

boy are they ugly! Can you say "Moon Boots?" I love them anyway. Others?

znfdl
08-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Can you convince my wife that I need a pair ;)

Buzz
08-01-2007, 11:58 AM
I have been using them for about 3 months now. Real good. We were actually able to re mold them a second time to better accomodate a bunion. Thumbs up.

Ray
08-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Felt so good and the sole is so stiff that I converted my 'road only' bike to SPD and now I ride with walkable shoes on EVERY ride. The 'platform' feels just as secure and stable with spd using these shoes as it did using my big-*** Looks with my various roadie shoes. VERY comfortable.

-Ray

72gmc
08-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the report, Tom (and Ray and Buzz). I have a feeling custom-molded shoes are in my future. Although I will probably go the podiatrist/Rocket 7 route... don't tell my wife

Waldo
08-01-2007, 12:42 PM
:p

Shimano R-300 custom fit. Holy Moley! They feel like the straps aren't even done up, but your foot can't move at all. Super comfy ... functionally, they are amazing BUT,...

boy are they ugly! Can you say "Moon Boots?" I love them anyway. Others?

Tom, a question:

What happens on long, hot rides, when feet swell? How do the shoes accomodate that?

mcteague
08-01-2007, 01:01 PM
What is with all these silver shoes? My Shimano R-150s need replacing and nothing seems to fit except Shimano and Sidi. The Genius 5s either have a sole that feels strange to my foot or flexes. When I stand on the pedals I seem to feel pressure just behind the cleat as if the sole is flexing. My Shimanos with carbon soles don't do this. The carbon Sidis are too expensive so I'm not sure where to go next. I suppose it is my size 12 foot that is responsible. Non carbon soles are tough to keep rigid in this size.

Tim McTeague

oldguy00
08-01-2007, 01:12 PM
I got a pair and hated them.
I still have and use a pair of the R215's (blue/silver).
I bought the same size in the custom shoes, and:
1. I found they felt longer, even in the same size
2. The main issue, even though the were formed to the top of your foot and upper heel, I found them to be -very- stretchy compared to the R215's. So even when I tightened the straps a lot, it felt like the upper was stretching upward when I pulled up on the pedals.

I don't think it is fair to call these custom fit. All they are doing is making the upper form a little better to the top of your foot. There is nothing custom about the sole. They do heat the insole, but that just allows some toe prints in it, its not an orthotic or anything.

Big thumbs down from me. If you like Shimano shoes, then stick with the R215's. If you need custom, then get a real custom shoe, like R7, etc.

Ozz
08-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the report, Tom (and Ray and Buzz). I have a feeling custom-molded shoes are in my future. Although I will probably go the podiatrist/Rocket 7 route... don't tell my wife
If you find a good podiatrist for cyclists....let me know.

72gmc
08-01-2007, 01:42 PM
If you find a good podiatrist for cyclists....let me know.

Will do, but it may not be soon fyi. I'm experimenting now with molded insoles in Specialized shoes--just couldn't get them to work well in Sidis, even the Megas. I believe you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to contact points, so I can see myself going the serious shoe route someday.

bocarider
08-01-2007, 01:47 PM
I have had a pair for 3 months and like them a lot. The molding process yields a really comfortable fit. However, if you do not like a super-stiff carbon sole, then these are not the right shoes for you.

One aspect I really like is that the shoes are extremely well ventilated, which in Florida is a nice feature. Shoe covers would be a must in cold weather.

Bill Bove
08-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Tom, a question:

What happens on long, hot rides, when feet swell? How do the shoes accomodate that?

Wear a pair of med weight wool socks when you do the molding process, this will allowforsome swellingof the feet in warm weather. This does not seem to effect the fit in normal weather at all but if youstillfeel tight when it gets really hot just remold again wearing thicker socks. It seems to be working for us here in Florida. Now if we could just do something about the humidity.

eddief
08-01-2007, 02:37 PM
http://www.wellfeet.com/index.htm

regularguy412
08-01-2007, 03:43 PM
What is with all these silver shoes? My Shimano R-150s need replacing and nothing seems to fit except Shimano and Sidi. The Genius 5s either have a sole that feels strange to my foot or flexes. When I stand on the pedals I seem to feel pressure just behind the cleat as if the sole is flexing. My Shimanos with carbon soles don't do this. The carbon Sidis are too expensive so I'm not sure where to go next. I suppose it is my size 12 foot that is responsible. Non carbon soles are tough to keep rigid in this size.

Tim McTeague

Shimano apparently still makes the R-151's and R151L's. I just bought a pair of the L's from an online source on sale (about two months ago) for approx $129. These are full carbon sole w/ three velcro straps -- all black. I wear these on my bikes that have the old style Look pedals. I still like my silver R-215's better. I use them on my CSI w/ Campy Profit Titaniums.

Mike in AR

Kevan
08-01-2007, 03:46 PM
but Shimano shoes have always been good f'r me.