PDA

View Full Version : Merckx carbon

Climb01742
06-29-2004, 01:32 PM
has anyone (dnovo? senor jerk?) seen or ridden or bought the merckx carbon frame (variously called either the MXM or GX2)? does lotto ride 'em or are they riding the team sc? i'm curious because there are many fans of eddy's bikes here on the phorum but i've read/heard not a peep about this frame herein. sounds like a pretty cool technical creation. any info, anyone?

oracle
06-29-2004, 01:50 PM
i rode my friends merckx this spring in italy, and while i initially did not expect much, owing to the fact that i am loathe to admit that any carbon frame is worth riding, came away rather impressed. the bike was springy, snappy, and lively. the handling was good, if a bit squirrely for me due to the short stem and very narrow bars. it was spec'd with a mix of record and chorus 04, with reflex rims and veloflex tubulars. i did not notice an inherent deadness to the frame as i expected i would, rather, the bike really moved under impetus and responded with arabian-like alacrity. it posessed wonderful tracking properties, hands on or off the bars, which is something that did not surprise me.

oracle

EdK
06-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Climb

I have ridden last year's and this year's MXM/GX2. The fork is improved for '04. In short the best carbon bike I have ever ridden. (better than Calfee, better than Giant) Think carbon qualities, stiff in a good way, attenuating like carbon but with traditional Euro geometry. They track and decnd like a Serotta. The Lotto guys have one or more of each (MXM and Team SC) I know Axel likes his MXM better than the SC (he told me so). FWIW, Axel also said his dad wanted these built stronger than any other carbon bike. If I needed another bike (who dosen't need another bike) it would at the top of my list. Before we hear they just another Taiwan Euro carbon thing, I know for certain all of the team bikes are made in Italy (in the same factory as Olmos) I believe (but am not certain) the production frames are made in Italy as well.

bostondrunk
06-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Would Axel ever say that he -doesn't- like his dad's bikes???!! heh heh

And, if a carbon bike is built well, it doesn't matter if its made in Italy, Santa Cruz, China or wherever..

Climb01742
06-29-2004, 02:11 PM
ed, how'd you come to talk to axel? and i've read the frame is made in italy, in easton's factory there.

bostondrunk
06-29-2004, 02:15 PM
'easton's factory'

Amazing how much the Merckx sticker can bump up a price, eh?!
I don't care what the jerk says, if it fits, I say the Giant carbon compacts are the best deal out there for a superlight carbon frameset.
I know, some T-Mobile riders didn't like them, but Once seemed to be just fine when they used them
If someone wants a Merckx, I say get a real one, get a MX Leader.

EdK
06-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Climb

Axel is a friend. Funny he actually rode a Giant TT bike through the first part of the year because he didn't like his dad's. So I guess his actions speak for him.

I recently broke (through no fault of my own) my 6 month old team issued Giant TCR carbon and low and behold Giant won't warranty it. So they provide a team with Giant carbon frames to race on and then won't replace one when it is proven to be deffective because it was a used in a race, huh??? Nice!

I am not a fan of carbon bikes generally especially the Giant. It dosen't track or decend great. The top tube and front end of the bike seems to flex quite a bit (not in a good way) all in all rides like crap. Free is almost not enough motivation to ride it.

I do like the Merckx though.

elblin
06-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Climb

I have ridden an 04 MXM for 5 months now, when not on my Ottrott. I agree with the above comments on the ride quality, it is stiff but not harsh, carbon like feel but not dead, and just seems to want to go fast. The geometry fit me well, which helps. From what I can tell, build quality is great, and even the paint seems to be done well. It isn't the lightest carbon bike out there, but I don't notice it at all when riding, even up hills. The bike is done in special World Cup colors, and signed by The Man himself.....which makes it go faster, I am convinced. :)

jerk
06-30-2004, 09:05 AM
it's stiff, light and really high tech. yes it is made in italy out of american tubing to specifications produced in belgium...if you want to see and ride one in boston i think international has a couple built....most of lotto domo are still riding the team sc but a few have been riding the carbon. the monocoque construction prevents a a made to measure option but the bike is really neat. it's great to see a carob frame that is truly one piece and not some screwed a glued chinese tennis racket thing made out of bondo and oversize golf shafts. the jerk approves.

jerk

coylifut
06-30-2004, 09:15 AM
"...not some screwed a glued chinese tennis racket thing made out of bondo and oversize golf shafts. the jerk approves."

I saw a guy wreck a carbon Obrea and break it into 3 pieces. I should have made a set of kiddie clubs out of it, but Obrea, his sponsor, wanted it back.

Climb01742
06-30-2004, 09:27 AM
on a monocoque, how do they align the carbon threads differently in different parts of the frame? with tubes, i can see how it's done. a monocoque is a mystery.

my original question wasn't so much prompted by a desire to buy a carbon eddy as it was by a) being a slow day at the office; and b) being puzzled why eddy's supposed best frame had attracted so little attention. i can imagine many builders following industry trends, but i guess eddy seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't build something unless he could build it right and with a real purpose.

thanks for everyone's responses.

MarinRider
06-30-2004, 10:28 PM
One by a not so fast Masters guy on the local racing scence, two in a shop in Bakersfield, CA. Bakersfield!

For all I can see it is a work of art. Wonderful curves, lots of details, mad in Italy. So it's on my list of bikes to lust after, right up there with the Time, the new C50 coming out next year, and the Sachs that requires a lot of, well, wait.

Dr. Doofus
07-01-2004, 02:00 PM
for the francophones --

there's actually a review of the MXM in the juin Top Velo...they like it

they also reviewed a dean that was off by a degree on the seat tube, and a cm on the effective top tube...they liked it anyway

wussies