PDA

View Full Version : Road Riding in Winston-Salem, NC Area??

climbgdh
08-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi Folks;

I have an opportunity to go with my wife to Winston-Salem, NC for 5 days in mid September while she is on a conference. Anyone here know what the road riding is like in that area? Looking for rides in the 60-90 mile range. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Serotta PETE
08-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Called the Triple Hump around Winston Salem,,,Hills and nice riding....

PETE

Kines
08-01-2007, 09:55 AM
I've been riding out of Winston-Salem for over 10 years now, and I know every ridable road in this area like the back of my hand. Depending on where you are coming from, you are in for a treat. We've got some great climbs with steep grades (Google Pilot Mountain State Park and Hanging Rock S.P.), rolling routes, "destination" routes, and if you're willing to get in the car for a bit, you can do the Blue Ridge Parkway. The only thing we don't have is flat rides, but we do have plenty of routes in your 60-90 mile range with no challenging climbs. Let me know which one sounds best and I'll point the way for you. KN.

Kines
08-01-2007, 10:19 AM
yeah, the "triple hump" is Pilot, Sauratown, and Hanging Rock. I just did it yesterday. It's a great ride, but from W-S it's over 90 miles, and has lots of climbing. Here's a photo I found on the internet of the three humps (photo taken from Hanging Rock looking at Sauratown, then Pilot). This is making me want to go for a ride.

climbgdh
08-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the info. I have no problems dealing with the hills. I'm used to riding in the mountain in British Columbia or northern Washington state. I'd prefer to limit my time in the car getting to the riding to an hour or so each way if that helps to narrow it down. It looks like Pilot Mtn is about 25 miles from W-S. As for the Blue Ridge Parkway - what entrances to the Parkway are near W-S? Recommendations on a couple of "hilly" rides and maybe a couple of nice 60 - 90 mile rides with no major climbs? I'll be by myself so would be looking for loops or out-back rides. Thanks.

Kines
08-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Out and back from downtown W-S to the summit of Pilot is 62 miles. Not much climbing at all until you get there. You can follow this easily by Google map: Take Reynolda heading NW out of town, R on Bethania, R on main through Bethania, it changes names a few times but keep going north until just before Hiway 52, take a L on Spainhour Mill Road which changes names to Perch, then just after crossing 52 take a L on Old 52 through the village of Pinnacle (a good stop for reloading on the return) then L on VFW/Old Winston Road, L on Pilot Knob Road which takes you up to the park.

The closest access to the BRP is by going straight up 52. You can get to Mt Airy in 45 minutes and just park somewhere there, on the NW side. Google "Lambsburg VA" for a map. For an absolutely sublime climb to the BRP (which you can then take either direction as far as you please), take Pipers Gap Road out of Mt Airy through Lambsburg and up to the BRP.

Let me know if any of this isn't crystal clear, or if you need more info!!

KN

climbgdh
08-01-2007, 02:21 PM
KN - thanks. Appreciate the info. I'll map it out and let you know if I need more info. Sounds excellent!!! This will be a great place to break in my new Merckx that is being built as we speak ;-).

BobC
08-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Out and back from downtown W-S to the summit of Pilot is 62 miles. Not much climbing at all until you get there. You can follow this easily by Google map: Take Reynolda heading NW out of town, R on Bethania, R on main through Bethania, it changes names a few times but keep going north until just before Hiway 52, take a L on Spainhour Mill Road which changes names to Perch, then just after crossing 52 take a L on Old 52 through the village of Pinnacle (a good stop for reloading on the return) then L on VFW/Old Winston Road, L on Pilot Knob Road which takes you up to the park.
KN

Pilot Mountain is my fav ride -- my wife is from here and and I do this ride every chance I get when we go back to visit her mom (she still lives off Olivet Church Road). Good, wide open roads and a tough climb if you want it, or just ride around the King/Pinnacle area if you want to do rolling hills instead.

One word of warning - Pilot Mountain's middle section can be a leg breaker. I can do it (and suffer) with a 39x23 when in good shape but prefer (and recommend) at least a 25.

- Bob

justinf
08-02-2007, 02:48 AM
Yeah, the three mountain, aka triple hump, is a very good ride. Some of the grades approach 15% or so if I remember correctly. . .stout.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is always wonderful if you have the time to take a car for an hour or so. . . well worth it.

climbgdh
08-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks Guys - I've mapped out a couple of the rides suggested - Pilot Mtn from W-S and a couple of rides in the 90-110 mile range on the BRP. Could any of you provide a better description of the Three Humps ride from W-S so I can map it out as well. Thanks in advance. It looks like I'm in for a real treat in the area.

Kines
08-03-2007, 12:14 AM
The three hump route? Hmmm... There are a lot of turns. And I'm looking at the Google Map now - it's not entirely accurate between Pilot and Sauratown. Maybe I'll just happen to have the same day off that you're planning to go, and I can just show you. You can email me through this forum, no?

The BRP is absolute cycling nirvana. I was just up there riding today. On the less popular areas on a weekday, you have it almost to yourself. Even on a "crowded" weekend, there's no commercial traffic allowed, and speed limits are enforced (and for the most part followed anyway) at 45mph. Some areas are much more spectacular than others, but if you do 100 miles on any part of it you'll get a good sampling. The best of it, IMHO, is south of Asheville. But that's a much bigger trip from W-S.....

Enjoy!!

KN

Kines
08-03-2007, 12:17 AM
Yeah, the three mountain, aka triple hump, is a very good ride. Some of the grades approach 15% or so if I remember correctly. . .stout.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is always wonderful if you have the time to take a car for an hour or so. . . well worth it.

Pilot exceeds 20% in a few spots according to ibike. And my legs believe it.

KN

justinf
08-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Pilot exceeds 20% in a few spots according to ibike. And my legs believe it.

Hmm, that's why it hurts so bad. I believe it too. :beer:

Kines
09-10-2007, 01:04 PM
climbgdh, are you headed this way yet? Let me know, as I have a couple of weekdays I could ride, we just might happen to coincide if you want a guided tour....

KN