PDA

View Full Version : Fork replacement

mcteague
08-01-2007, 06:38 AM
Well, my Joe Young wheels just got trashed by a car that rolled though a stop sign. My Ouzo Pro fork is in one piece but is scratched up so I really need to replace it just in case. Should I just get another Reynolds or go with an Easton EC-90 SL? I think I'll stay away from the SLX and Reynolds UL as they cost much more and the weight difference is not worth it to me.

Also, Reynolds have a crash replacement deal and will send me a new Ouzo Pro for $191.95 but first I have to send them my fork. I was hoping to get a new fork ASAP as I have old wheels and pedals I can use to get back on the road.

Tim McTeague

rePhil
08-01-2007, 07:23 AM
ouch! I hope you are OK...
Are you going to have Joe build you another set?

mcteague
08-01-2007, 09:16 AM
ouch! I hope you are OK...
Are you going to have Joe build you another set?
Yeah, I contacted Joe already and will send him the front hub and rear wheel. Most likely the rear rim and spokes will be replaced and, as you can see, the front rim is toast. I have an avulsion fracture to my left shoulder and LOTS of other cuts and bruises but, all things considered, I made out alright.

Tim McTeague

Ken Robb
08-01-2007, 09:49 AM
how soon can you get back on the road with a fractured shoulder? I've been told not to ride for 2-3 months post-shoulder surgery so I don't risk further damage.

mcteague
08-01-2007, 10:55 AM
how soon can you get back on the road with a fractured shoulder? I've been told not to ride for 2-3 months post-shoulder surgery so I don't risk further damage.
It's an avulsion fracture which, in my case, is just a small bone chip that showed up on the X-Ray. It hurts to lift over my head but I could ride today if need be. I cleaned up my old Mt bike and spun easy around the neighborhood this morning.

Tim

soulspinner
08-01-2007, 11:07 AM
glad you werent hurt worse...

Ozz
08-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Is the driver paying for the new fork / wheels?

You might get the frame checked for alignment too....

echo "soulspinner"....heal soon.

Too Tall
08-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Dang, Joe Young wheels are strong...how's the car? ;)

Ouzo Pro...nice fork. Stick with it.

Peter P.
08-01-2007, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't do ANY replacement of parts until you've received your money from the insurance company. They may want to examine the bike/wheels IN THEIR ORIGINAL STATE prior to settling any claims. This advice was given to me by an attorney after my first accident.

After that, Reynolds Ouzo forks enjoy a stellar reputation so, unless you want to try something different, stick with them. Otherwise, Alpha Q is a strong competitor, but I'm not crazy about their glued-in star nut. Whatever you choose, don't forget to match the fork rake.

mcteague
08-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Well, I called the bike shop to see if the estimate of the damage was completed and it was, although they did not call me. I asked what the evaluation stated and they said that the wheels were trashed but everything else was ok. OK? What about the torn seat, scared up RD, pedals and fork? The guy said he didn't notice any damage to the fork. I told him to look all along the right side which was covered with scrapes. And, this being a carbon fork, should be replaced after a major accident. His reply "if you want to nickel and dime the insurance company that's fine with me."! Nickel and dime? First off, maybe this LBS sells carbon forks for less than I thought. Second, every major carbon fork maker says to replace any fork that has been in a serious crash even if it looks alright.

I called the insurance agent and he assured me they will cover all parts that received any amount of damage from the accident. Guess what bike shop won't be getting a piece of that pie?

Tim McTeague

thwart
08-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Aaah... the LBS guy's wife's sister was the driver of the car, and... he's heavily invested in the insurance industry. :D

mcteague
08-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Here's what Tom Kellogg told me about the Reynolds UL fork, which he had a hand in designing. Maybe I should upgrade as long as I am replacing the fork.

"The ouzo Pro is a great fork, as you know. The UL is better. Forget the reduced weight, it is better in feel. Torsionally and laterally it is stiffer, to the point that you can feel it."
Tim McTeague

Gothard
08-04-2007, 02:07 AM
Tim,
Be careful with the shoulder. If you complete a rotator cuff tear that has started right now with the avulsion fracture, you will be in pain for 6 months at least. Been there, done that.
Make sure with an orthopaedist that you are clear to stress the rotator cuff, before worsening what can be a minor, quick healing injury.

mcteague
08-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Tim,
Be careful with the shoulder. If you complete a rotator cuff tear that has started right now with the avulsion fracture, you will be in pain for 6 months at least. Been there, done that.
Make sure with an orthopaedist that you are clear to stress the rotator cuff, before worsening what can be a minor, quick healing injury.
Good advice, George. I see the ortho on Tuesday.

Tim

deanster
08-04-2007, 01:48 PM
The Reynolds is pretty strong with the alloy dropouts. If if was a fork with carbon dropouts you wouldn't catch me riding it again. The scratching looks superficial. If you are worried the replacement deal sounds good otherwise a little Krylon Crystal clear cleans up scratches in the surface.
Looked like a nice set of wheels. I hope the car driver's insurance is taking care of your woes. If they are then get the replacement fork. Good luck with the body parts.

mcteague
08-04-2007, 03:52 PM
The Reynolds is pretty strong with the alloy dropouts. If if was a fork with carbon dropouts you wouldn't catch me riding it again. The scratching looks superficial. If you are worried the replacement deal sounds good otherwise a little Krylon Crystal clear cleans up scratches in the surface.
Looked like a nice set of wheels. I hope the car driver's insurance is taking care of your woes. If they are then get the replacement fork. Good luck with the body parts.
My guess is the fork is fine but it looks like the guy's insurance company (Geico) is going to cover anything that got damaged even if only superficially. I think I'll go Reynolds UL this time as Tom Kellogg says it is actually is stronger and handles better than the Ouzo Pro. I put on my old wheels and will send the DT hubs back to Joe Young for a rebuild. I'll most likely stick with my Fizik Aliante as I have not found anything more comfortable. I sat on a Specialized Toupe in the store and it felt hard and "edgy". Not a good test but if it felt uncomfortable right away I don't think I'll try to borrow one.

Tim McTeague