PDA

View Full Version : Hey Serotta, is this for real?

Blastinbob
07-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Ebay Meivici (http://cgi.ebay.com/SEROTTA-CUSTOM-MeiVici-CARBON-ROAD-BIKE-w-ZIPP-WHEELS_W0QQitemZ330152057778QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em330152057778)

Up for auction is one custom-made Serotta MeiVici road bicycle. The winner of this auction will be directed to his/her local Serotta dealer, where he/she will be measured for this bicycle. The bicycle will be manufactured to the rider’s unique specifications.

The bike will be equipped with excellent components, courtesy of Serotta. (Final component package is subject to change.)

* Zipp 404 carbon wheels
* Fizik Aireone saddle
* Thompson seatpost
* Handlebars and stem from a high-end range such as Zipp or Ritchey

MeiVici means My Victory: The first truly custom, full carbon fiber bicycle frame ever built and the only one to meet the performance and reliability standards that set Serottas apart from every other bike. From the detailed custom fit to the highest level of rider-specific performance tuning right down to the finest finishing details, the MeiVici is in a class by itself and like all Serottas, it’s built to be ridden hard…again and again.

Features include:

Exclusive Reynolds Composites Colorado Concept tube set – the lightest and stiffest ever.
Groundbreaking lug design allows for custom geometry possibilities never before available in a full carbon fiber frame.
The lightest, fastest, smoothest Serotta ever.
Multi modulus lug design allows for a wide variety of angles and configurations with unmatched strength and durability.
TorsionCore™ Carbon top and down tubes are the first with dedicated layers of carbon devoted to resisting twisting forces.
Micro SL dropouts; titanium bottom bracket and head tube inserts.
TorsionCore™ carbon tubes in 4 stiffness levels perfectly match your needs and are lighter than ever.

For more information, visit http://www.serotta.com/pages/meivici.html.

The retail price of this package is approximately $13,000. The reserve on this auction is $5,000.

About This Auction

All proceeds from this auction benefit the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute through The Jimmy Fund via the Pan-Massachusetts Challenge (Pan-Mass) charity bicycle event. The organizer of this auction is a team of charity bike riders and fundraisers called Paul’s Posse. For more information on Paul’s Posse and our amazing story, visit http://paulsposse.com/default.aspx. Paul's Posse is participating in Pan-Mass. Paul’s Posse is solely responsible for running this auction and distributing the prize to the winner.

The Pan-Massachusetts Challenge (www.pmc.org), presented by the Boston Red Sox and Overstock.com, is the nation’s first fundraising bike-a-thon and today raises more money than any other athletic fundraising event in the country. On August 4 and 5, 2007, 4,800 cyclists will travel nine routes, logging between 50 and 192 miles over one or two days, through 46 scenic Massachusetts towns to raise $27 million. The event passes 99 percent of all money raised to The Jimmy Fund.

Payment Instructions

The winner of this auction will be instructed to make a donation directly to our contact at Pan-Mass. Paul's Posse will not handle any funds. When Pan-Mass confirms to us that they have received the winner's donation, we will release the prize.

Why Not Use eBay Giving Works?

We are not using the Giving Works service because eBay's partner, MissionFish, takes a fee for every charity auction run through Giving Works. Be not using Giving Works, 100-percent of the auction winner's donation goes to the charity.

Bart001
07-31-2007, 06:38 PM
Way to go Serotta!

Fixed
07-31-2007, 07:10 PM
sounds like them
cheers :beer:

davids
07-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Yes, it's real. "Paul's Posse" is the team riding for Paul Shaye, who was featured on Serotta's website a few months back. He's got both Serotta and Signature Cycles as major fundraising sponsors.

There will be an article about him in the Boston Globe any day now, written by one of my riding buddies.

Serotta_James
07-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey! That's my bike! ***?!?

Kines
07-31-2007, 08:22 PM
your bike? serious? Then maybe you can answer something for me I've been curious about since the first time I saw it: Why would someone build a custom bike, and then put a set-back seat post on it? Isn't that like making a custom desk chair one size too small so that you can put a phone book in it to sit on?

davids
07-31-2007, 08:48 PM
your bike? serious? Then maybe you can answer something for me I've been curious about since the first time I saw it: Why would someone build a custom bike, and then put a set-back seat post on it? Isn't that like making a custom desk chair one size too small so that you can put a phone book in it to sit on?
This hasn't been discussed in days! Go here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=30923) for some perspective.

swoop
07-31-2007, 08:59 PM

no.

SoCalSteve
07-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Who is "thenearpost"? Thats the seller...

Just askin'

Steve

Kines
07-31-2007, 09:47 PM
This hasn't been discussed in days! Go here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=30923) for some perspective.

That's what I get for visiting this forum 3 times a year!

Thanks for the reference - after skimming that thread, it seems that there's a problem with semantics. The photo of a "setback" seatpost is what I call "normal". The ebay MeiVici's "angled" seatpost is something altogether different, and apparently a compensation for poor fit.

Glad I could wander along after a 4 month absence and clear things up....

See ya around Christmas!

Louis
07-31-2007, 10:07 PM
The photo of a "setback" seatpost is what I call "normal". The ebay MeiVici's "angled" seatpost is something altogether different, and apparently a compensation for poor fit.

Kines,

How is the Thomsom post a "compensation for poor fit" and a setback post
"normal"? They both allow the saddle to be placed farther aft relative to the BB. One applies the shift at the top of the post, the other along the length of the post. You end up in the same place - it's purely a matter of aesthetics. (The Thomson post does that so they can use their very handy two-bolt clamp design, which is much more difficult to incorporate in a traditional setback post.)

Louis

Serotta_James
08-01-2007, 08:56 AM
I like setback posts.

davids
08-01-2007, 09:09 AM
I like setback posts.
Me too. But not the Thomson (strictly based on esthetics - I have a no-setback Thomson on my mountain bike.)

Here's the Boston Globe story (http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2007/08/01/i_am_ironman/) on Paul, from today's paper. Serotta & the auction get a mention.

93legendti
08-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Me too. But not the Thomson (strictly based on esthetics - I have a no-setback Thomson on my mountain bike.)

Here's the Boston Globe story (http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2007/08/01/i_am_ironman/) on Paul, from today's paper. Serotta & the auction get a mention.

me too

BURCH
08-01-2007, 10:40 AM
My guess is that the final winning bid is $18,550