PDA

View Full Version : Backroads cycling trip in France - what can I expect from their bikes?

3chordwonder
07-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Anybody here been on a cycling trip in France organised by Backroads who wouldn't mind telling me a bit more about the level of bike the tour operators provide?

I'm scheduled to go there later this year and am trying to decide whether to ship my own roadbike over there, or whether to just use one of the 'performance' bikes they provide and bring my own saddle, pedals and tyres.

Their 'performance' bikes look more like a cyclotourist randonneuring bike to me (Merlin Ti frame but with Shimano 105 triple/26mm tyres), which would be fine except that I'll be riding with a bunch of people bringing their own lightweight racers... you know how it is - I'm wondering if I'll be kicking myself for not bringing my own bike (modern steel with 07 Record).

eddief
07-31-2007, 10:39 AM
why not give them a call or send an email. i live near headquarters, but have not been on one of their tours for many years.

eddief
07-31-2007, 10:40 AM
why not give them a call or send an email. i live near headquarters, but have not been on one of their tours for many years.

3chordwonder
07-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Well, they've already sent me a link to a web page showing the bike - but you know how it is, reality often differs enormously from what the advert says, hence I was hoping somebody might have used one and can provide a reality check. Reading the specs is one thing, but riding one would be another.

Specs are:

• Lightweight titanium frame • Adjustable handlebar stem to fine-tune ride position • Drop handlebars for a varied range of hand positions to reduce fatigue • Shimano 105 STI shifters for precise gearing and braking • Ergonomic saddle designed to minimize points of contact • Triple Shimano 105 crankset and 9-speed cassette for riding on varied terrain • 26c tires for more precise cornering and superior acceleration • Mavic CXP-22 rims with 32 laced spokes • Shock-absorbing carbon-fiber fork • Pedals with toe clips (or bring your own pedals) • Rear rack with optional trunk bag • Map case.

palincss
07-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Anybody here been on a cycling trip in France organised by Backroads who wouldn't mind telling me a bit more about the level of bike the tour operators provide?

I'm scheduled to go there later this year and am trying to decide whether to ship my own roadbike over there, or whether to just use one of the 'performance' bikes they provide and bring my own saddle, pedals and tyres.

Their 'performance' bikes look more like a cyclotourist randonneuring bike to me (Merlin Ti frame but with Shimano 105 triple/26mm tyres), which would be fine except that I'll be riding with a bunch of people bringing their own lightweight racers... you know how it is - I'm wondering if I'll be kicking myself for not bringing my own bike (modern steel with 07 Record).

And which of the two would be more appropriate for a tour in France, a light touring bike or a racer?

bocarider
07-31-2007, 01:11 PM
My wife and I have done a lot of Backroads trips (6 as of last month). We bring our own bikes, but being a gear-head, I have checked out the current fleet pretty carefully. You get a decent looking ti frame (it is custom fabricated for Backroads by the company that used to do the mail order Zeplin frames a few years back) and a generic carbon fork. Gearing is all Shimano - 105 triple crank and derailleur in the front but I think it's Sora in the back. You get basic Mavic wheels. All-in-all a pretty functional bike.

In talking to people on the trips who are serious riders, they say the bikes are fine. Not particularly light, but reasonably stiff.

Seriously consider bringing your own pedals and seat. The Backroads guides will pull off the toe clip pedals and put yours on (they have pedal wrenches or the 8 mill hex wrench, so you don’t have to schlep your own). The Specialized Body Geometry seats may not be your thing, so consider bringing your own.

If you have any other questions on Backroads, pm me - we are big fans of their trips.

jbrainin
07-31-2007, 02:01 PM
I've done 12 Backroads trips over the years, including 2 at the TdF. If you want to avoid the hassle of dragging your own bike to France, the Backroads bike is good enough to warrant that. If you will be doing a tour in the Alps or Pyrenees, or are doing a Provence trip and intend to climb Ventoux, I recommend bringing your own bike if it's lighter than 17 pounds.

The Backroads bikes are made by the company formerly known as Airborne. The frames are ok and the components adequate except for the heinous adjustable stem they've got on all their bikes. (Bring your own stem and ask them to swap it for you. The folks in the CA office will say this can't be done for liability purposes but the people working your trip will likely be a bit more flexible.)

keno
07-31-2007, 02:10 PM
oddly enough, just about 30 minutes or so ago I got off the phone with a Backroads help desk person. My wife and I are going on the Vietnam and Anghor Wat trip at the end of the year. I was told the following about the bikes that would be available:

All frames, wheels, tires, and saddles are identical, aside from size, for ALL of the bikes. All that differ are the pedals, either flat or cages, and the handlebars, either straight or drops. I asked her to find out what the size of the bars are, as she told me that in each category they are identical. I told her that as a user of 44cm drops, I would not be comfortable with 40cm drops. She promised to do some research.

bocarider, does what she had to say ring true in what you saw of their offerings? BTW, she said the offerings were trip independent, that is, Tuscanny bikes and Vietnam bikes are the same. Seems weird to me, but it's a weird world out there. Have you been on their Vietnam trip? I'd love to know a bit about your experience. Feel free to PM or email me at keno555@earthlink.net.

Thanks,

keno

spokehead
07-31-2007, 02:11 PM
We took a trip with VeloVacations last summer, and I took my Ottrott. This year they added some high end carbon fiber bikes, and I wouldn't take mine again. It's certainly feasible, but always a hassle. There's nothing like traveling light. Lightweight titanium, 105 - sounds pretty good, although your own pedals are a must, and saddle too if you're particular.

JonnyComeLately
07-31-2007, 02:14 PM
My wife and I have done a lot of Backroads trips (6 as of last month). We bring our own bikes, but being a gear-head, I have checked out the current fleet pretty carefully. You get a decent looking ti frame (it is custom fabricated for Backroads by the company that used to do the mail order Zeplin frames a few years back) and a generic carbon fork. Gearing is all Shimano - 105 triple crank and derailleur in the front but I think it's Sora in the back. You get basic Mavic wheels. All-in-all a pretty functional bike.

In talking to people on the trips who are serious riders, they say the bikes are fine. Not particularly light, but reasonably stiff.

Seriously consider bringing your own pedals and seat. The Backroads guides will pull off the toe clip pedals and put yours on (they have pedal wrenches or the 8 mill hex wrench, so you don’t have to schlep your own). The Specialized Body Geometry seats may not be your thing, so consider bringing your own.

If you have any other questions on Backroads, pm me - we are big fans of their trips.

This has been my experience too. The frame is a nice, but not spectacular, Ti frame, built up with mid-level Shimano components. Perfectly serviceable. I second bocarider's recommendation of bringing your own pedals and seatpost/saddle. This will help so you won't have to get re-used to the places where your body touches the bike. I also brought along a computer and attached it to the bike so I'd be able to keep track of mileage.

Some of the other folks on the trips I took (Bryce/Zion/Grand Canyon and Canadian Rockies) brought their own bikes, and were able to arrange to store the carrying cases at the jumping-off/return point for the trip, but I'm not certain such storage space is universally available. If you're considering bringing your own ride, definitely check with Backroads about where to store the case. I think that I'll try to bring my own bike on the next BR trip I take, but that's only because I love my own bike so much, not because theirs are bad.

I'm also a big Backroads fan, and am very jealous of your trip. Have fun, and post some pictures for us when you get back!

sg8357
07-31-2007, 02:23 PM
And which of the two would be more appropriate for a tour in France, a light touring bike or a racer?

The Alex Singer you pick up in Paris ?
With integral wine and baguette racks.
Being able to carry a fine picnic lunch is essential when touring France.
Eating a powerbar in France is a crime against nature.

What ever you ride, you need to carry the Michelin Red Guide and The
Relais and Chateaux Guide.

http://www.relaischateaux.com/page.php3?lang=en

Scott G.

jbrainin
07-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Some of the other folks on the trips I took (Bryce/Zion/Grand Canyon and Canadian Rockies) brought their own bikes, and were able to arrange to store the carrying cases at the jumping-off/return point for the trip, but I'm not certain such storage space is universally available.

Even for a logistically insane TdF trip in 2004 going from the Pyrenees to Provence then the Alps, Backroads was able to accommodate all the bike cases of the guests who brought their bikes. They are very good about these kind of logistics.

Moosedryvr
07-31-2007, 05:30 PM
If you are particular about your gear, I would highly recommend taking your own bike. There was a lady on a TdF trip I took a couple of years back (not Backroads) that was a total pain about getting a "perfect" fit on her rented bike. The staff (Great Explorations) went out of their way to make her happy (eventually purchased a brand new Bianchi in her size) but lets just say her performance was off-putting to say the least and her van was not a very happy one (to her credit she had been ultra-specific about her requirements prior to the trip and they had told her no problem).
Additionally, there is something to be said for riding your bike on a super-memorable vacation. I've gone on two overseas biking vacations and both times it was important to me to have my bike. One, I knew it would fit and wouldn't create any problems for me on a "once in a lifetime" type trip. Two, while lugging the bike through airports, train stations was a pain, it was worth it, to me, in the end to have pics of me and my beloved bike (which I no longer own :rolleyes: ) at the top of the Tourmelet, etc.
All of this is, of course, negated if you need to get both your, and your significant other's bike through airports, train stations, etc. While it would be nice to have your stuff with you, any benefit would be greatly outweighed by the negative impact to your relationship that will inevitably occur as you race to catch your train while yelling at your partner to "suck it up and hurry" as they try to unsuccessfully to manage the unmanageble bag drag. This is the unfortunate voice of experience talking. Take my word, it's no way to start a vacation and makes for a nice, long (and quiet) train ride.

Shawn G

3chordwonder
07-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Oh yeah, the long quiet train ride aspect would be real and imminent threat... hence my considering the BR bike as a tradeoff.

Thanks for all the responses, I knew there'd be people here who have used them. I'll get some prices on having the bike shipped to the starting point and back out so I don't have to lug it through Paris and the TGV. That can be the deciding factor. Might be cheaper for me to buy a carbon Look or Time in Paris and sell it at the end of the trip ;-)

Re the touring bike vs racer, I like the touring idea but in this case I'm going to be with a bunch of competitive dudes who are just not going to be able to help themselves - so I need to know I can keep up and not be dropped for dead up the Alpe because my bike is creaking, doesn't fit and weighs 20lb. Hence the question in the first place.

Ken Robb
07-31-2007, 10:13 PM
If you are riding touring distances for days in a row who's to say that you might not be faster at the end of the day on a "touring" bike? If the rental bike gets sick you get it fixed or replaced. What happens with your own?

3chordwonder
07-31-2007, 11:56 PM
Ken, my own roadbike has Record on it, and the Campagnolo catalogue informs me that Record is 'unarrestable', so apparently I wouldn't have to worry about anything breaking.

Shimano Sora on the other hand... I don't have that catalogue... but I do remember how incredible much better Ultegra felt after riding a bike with low/medium level Shimano components. One-bike-fits-all philosophy is kind of scary, if that is correct - I'll have to look into that.

Ken Robb
08-01-2007, 12:25 AM
I can't tell much difference in function from 105-Ultegra-DA. Don't know about Tiagra but it's probably ok too. I just hate schlepping a bike on public transport. I guess that's why I got a BikeFriday. :banana:

3chordwonder
08-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Well... I love travelling light, but I also love riding a really nice bike. On this occasion the two clash. To quote the Stones, 'you can't always get what you want...'

BoulderGeek
08-01-2007, 04:25 AM
I'm just about to leave my apartment in the Savoie and go on the road for a few weeks in France.

I can't tell you how uninspiring it was to schlep my bike case to and from train stations, and muscle it around on the trains. So uncool.

I'm going to ship it home when I am done. I would just love to leave it with someone in France. Anyone here?

In my experience, toting a bike case in Europe only works well if you have a rental car waiting right where you get off the plane.

But, having your own ride that you know well is far preferable, I think. That is, if the trip is more about the riding than the dining.