PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Tom Snyder

David Kirk
07-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Tom Snyder died over the weekend. Those who never saw his show and his interview style really missed something.

My first job in the bike biz was working the midnight shift at **** Sonnes Ski, Hike and Bike in New Hartford NY. I worked the night shift cleaning bikes after they had been repaired. I got out of work at some ungodly hour and went home exhausted and turned on the "Tomorrow Show" with Tom Snyder to unwind before trying to fall asleep. It's funny how his show and that job are almost on in the same in my mind.

I'll miss him. I don't miss that job but I'll miss him.

Long Live Tom Snyder.

Dave

William
07-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Tom Snyder died over the weekend. Those who never saw his show and his interview style really missed something.

My first job in the bike biz was working the midnight shift at **** Sonnes Ski, Hike and Bike in New Hartford NY. I worked the night shift cleaning bikes after they had been repaired. I got out of work at some ungodly hour and went home exhausted and turned on the "Tomorrow Show" with Tom Snyder to unwind before trying to fall asleep. It's funny how his show and that job are almost on in the same in my mind.

I'll miss him. I don't miss that job but I'll miss him.

Long Live Tom Snyder.

Dave

I remember his show. And Dan Akroyds impersonation of him. :D

May he RIP.

William

Bart001
07-30-2007, 10:24 AM
TV like that just doesn't "work" any more. (At least it doesn't "sell.") Why? Are we too accustomed to gags and skits and technology and a fast pace?

I suppose that Larry King is the closest we come now-a-days. Larry King is no Tom Snyder.

Ahneida Ride
07-30-2007, 10:28 AM
I enjoyed Tom also ...

Tom projected a vibrant integrity end enthusiam.
I do and will miss Tom.
The modern characters don't compare.
May God rest his soul.

Ray
07-30-2007, 10:33 AM
"You're Paul Stanley and you play guitar, and you're Gene Simmons and you play the bass", which Tom pronounced like the fish, not the instrument. At which point the band announced that Ace Frehley played the flounder. Tom had NO idea what they were laughing at. Classic TV. There's plenty of good TV today, but like everything else, it's more fragmented so you have to look harder for it. I'll take Charlie Rose over Snyder any ol' time. And the stuff on HBO these days just slays almost any of the old dramas or comedies.

-Ray

soulspinner
07-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Ill never forget the Bob Marley show where he was tokin in the studio...**** Sonnes is about 10 miles from where I grew up. My condolences! :p

deechee
07-30-2007, 10:39 AM
gotta love that laugh.
I love how you guys talk about him like no one younger saw him but he had a good run on the cbs late late show where I thought he was hilarious...

Kahuna
07-30-2007, 11:38 AM
He was a real trooper and a great personality. He made light of his predicament with leukemia on his blog and tried to remain upbeat throughout his ordeal.

+1 on Charlie Rose.

MarleyMon
07-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Ill never forget the Bob Marley show where he was tokin in the studio.

Ya Mon!
Other great interviews were w/ John Lennon when he faced deportation as an undesirable for an old bust in England, but really for his anti-war stance.

And the guy who wanted to change his name to 1069 (pronounced One Zero Six Nine), but was denied by a Federal court because it was dehumanizing. That guy was tripping his A$$ off and Snyder was laughing his off!

Ahh, the colorful 70s.

Z3c
07-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Yea, wow what a bummer to hear that he passed. I spent a lot of my early teen years staying up late watching his show; my Dad smoked so the clouds of smoke seemed familiar. I think I really learned a lot watching Tom and his direct no-nonsense approach to people..

Scott

cadence90
07-30-2007, 01:35 PM
He was great.

Here's a terrific interview he did with the Clash. Great sense of humor.

Tom Snyder/Joe Strummer/Topper...R.I.P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVygiX0KEEw

R.I.P. Ingmar Bergman also....

Climb01742
07-30-2007, 02:06 PM
slick he wasn't. god bless him for that.

davids
07-30-2007, 02:21 PM
He was great.

Thanks - I remember watching the Tomorrow Show that night, hanging out with my housemates after a long evening of studying.

Several years earlier, Tom had done a report on this wacky English subculture, revolving around DIY fashion and music... His short report on Punk opened my ears and changed my late adolescent life.

p.s. That little star badge that Joe pinned on Tom's lapel? My wife still has hers in her jewlery box.

Bill Bove
07-30-2007, 02:25 PM
How about his interview with Charles Manson? I slept with the lights on for a week after that!

steelrider
07-30-2007, 03:31 PM
He was great.

Nice going with the clip. Ahh the memories of the 80's. Tom did have a very genuine nature about him. Got to see The Clash a couple of times as well.

gary135r
07-30-2007, 07:15 PM
TV like that just doesn't "work" any more. (At least it doesn't "sell.") Why? Are we too accustomed to gags and skits and technology and a fast pace?

I suppose that Larry King is the closest we come now-a-days. Larry King is no Tom Snyder.
Remember David Suskind? definitely a different kind of show that wouldn't work today either.

Elefantino
07-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Snyder did Tomorrow interview with a man who was lawfully allowed to smoke medical marijuana (from official "U.S. Government" packs) …

Snyder kept motioning as if to say, "come forward, come forward" — but, of course, he was just trying to get some of the smoke to waft toward him.

Perfect.

Fixed
07-30-2007, 08:20 PM
remember "The **** Cavett Show.
it was hip imho
cheers :beer:
ok rick cavett show ..you can't say **** here

rickygarni
07-30-2007, 08:53 PM
The **** Cavett shows are available through Netflix, and they are extraordinary. Not to be a grumpy old geezer, but let's compare to the present day, shall we? Actually, let's not.

Check 'em out. Esp those with Katherine Hepburn, Fred Astaire, CSN/Jefferson Airplane/Joni Mitchell (the day after Woodstock! Steven Stills was still wearing his muddy boots!)

Extraordinary to see a guest refer to a host with a title ("Mr. Cavett", as in the case of Fred Astaire) or also, with the same guest, to hear someone speak of "George's" personal habits and realize that he is actually speaking of and reminiscing about wistful memories with George Gershwin.

There was a level of reflection, grace, and dignity that has not been matched of late (although I do hold out hope for the future.) Watch and see if you, too, sigh.

As for Tom Snyder, also astounding. What struck me most was his ability to exude a paternal protectiveness towards guests that a more typical host might avoid with all haste in that time and place (Patti Smith, for example, and the tragic Wendy O. Williams, who, if memory serves, blew up a convertible on the stage that night ...) although he certainly held John Lydon and PIL on a short leash – would have been interesting if he had treated them kindly – do you suppose that Johnny Rotten might respond to gentleness and vulnerability? Before you shout no ... think about it ... the answer may be 'maybe' ...

Ricky

David Kirk
07-30-2007, 10:53 PM
The **** Cavett shows are available through Netflix, and they are extraordinary. Not to be a grumpy old geezer, but let's compare to the present day, shall we? Actually, let's not.

Check 'em out. Esp those with Katherine Hepburn, Fred Astaire, CSN/Jefferson Airplane/Joni Mitchell (the day after Woodstock! Steven Stills was still wearing his muddy boots!)

Extraordinary to see a guest refer to a host with a title ("Mr. Cavett", as in the case of Fred Astaire) or also, with the same guest, to hear someone speak of "George's" personal habits and realize that he is actually speaking of and reminiscing about wistful memories with George Gershwin.

There was a level of reflection, grace, and dignity that has not been matched of late (although I do hold out hope for the future.) Watch and see if you, too, sigh.

As for Tom Snyder, also astounding. What struck me most was his ability to exude a paternal protectiveness towards guests that a more typical host might avoid with all haste in that time and place (Patti Smith, for example, and the tragic Wendy O. Williams, who, if memory serves, blew up a convertible on the stage that night ...) although he certainly held John Lydon and PIL on a short leash – would have been interesting if he had treated them kindly – do you suppose that Johnny Rotten might respond to gentleness and vulnerability? Before you shout no ... think about it ... the answer may be 'maybe' ...

Ricky

Word to that.

Dave

big shanty
07-31-2007, 01:04 AM
Letterman moved to CBS in '93 (same year I started college) and hired Tom Snyder to do the Late Late Show afterwards. I always found Tom Snyder to be very soothing to pass out to while hammered on a weeknight. He was genuine and warty and awkward and often distracted. He didn't feign fascination with boring guests like Charlie Rose does, and I always respected that.

BumbleBeeDave
07-31-2007, 08:51 AM
. . . interview Manson, but he was in the same room with him! That would totally creep me out if I was him! That took real moxie . . .

(Kinda like sitting in the same booth with Kevan and Sandy at dinner! ;) )

BBD

rickygarni
07-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Don't know when Conan did this, but a nice little ditty for TS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiSEbyhAR0k