PDA

View Full Version : 9W - From Nyack to Bear Mtn Bridge

97CSI
07-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Just drove up 9W to pick up a couple of pieces for my other passion (FM tuners, picked up an Accuphase T-100 and Sony ST-J75 - both in excellent condition). Must have passed a couple of hundred riders between Nyack and the bridge. Thought it might have been an organized ride, so stopped and ask a couple of folks. They said, 'nope, just a normal Sunday morning on a nice day.' So my question for you locals: where is a good place to start in order to ride out about 20 miles, give-or-take, to make a round-trip of 40 miles. Looks like a great area to ride.
Thanks.

Serotta PETE
07-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Mark and I started today at CYCLESPORT in PARKRIDGE NJ 201-391-5269. Rode back roads and along the Hudson River thru Peirmont and Nyack...Stopped at the SPOON Bakery in NYACK...Probably 50 cyclist there at any given time. They have water AND the bakery products are excellent. Another option could be to park in ALPINE NJ or there abouts and ride up to that area via 9w and come back the same way.

Mark is from NC and sad the ride today was one of the best he did....

Just drove up 9W to pick up a couple of pieces for my other passion (FM tuners, picked up an Accuphase T-100 and Sony ST-J75 - both in excellent condition). Must have passed a couple of hundred riders between Nyack and the bridge. Thought it might have been an organized ride, so stopped and ask a couple of folks. They said, 'nope, just a normal Sunday morning on a nice day.' So my question for you locals: where is a good place to start in order to ride out about 20 miles, give-or-take, to make a round-trip of 40 miles. Looks like a great area to ride.
Thanks.

neverraced
07-29-2007, 06:53 PM
I would suggest driving to Nyack, parking, and then riding as far up 9W as you want--20, 25, 30 miles, whatever. There's a great bike shop in Nyack, as well as the bakery where you can stock up with food and drink. You probably want to take the GSP to 87, the NYS Thruway, then get off at exit 11 which brings you right into town.

Fixed
07-29-2007, 06:58 PM
bro in the 70s i lived in west havastraw i remember how hard the hills were .cheers :beer:

Steevo
07-29-2007, 07:33 PM
I live in the Nyack area and do most of my riding around here. Bike Route 9 is well marked starting at the George Washington Bridge, running along the top of the Palisades on Rt 9W and then dropping down into Piermont and Nyack on local roads along the Hudson. The marked cycling route continues north out of Nyack, returning to 9W to crest the Palisades. The bike route eventually leaves 9W again, going through the village of Haverstraw and then joins the Husdon for a few scenic miles. The route rejoins 9W, continuing north with a scenic 1 mile climb over Dunderberg Mtn, followed by another climb to the Bear Mtn bridge. At Bear Mtn, Bike Rt 9 crosses the Hudson on the Bear Mtn Bridge and continues north on Rt 9D to Cold Spring and Beacon.

All of this riding is generally scenic, especially on the local roads, where car traffic is relatively light. The roads are in decent shape with a good mix of hills and flats. There are plenty of rest stops in Piermont, Nyack and Cold Spring. The carousel house at Bear Mtn park is also a good place for pit stops.

The approximate length of back and forth rides starting from Nyack on Bike Rt 9 are:

Nyack to GWB - 40 - 45 miles RT

Nyack to Bear Mtn - 40 miles RT

Nyack to Cold Spring - 50 miles RT

Inland (west) from the river is tons of great riding on the county roads. I generally avoid the state highways (except 9W), which are too busy with cars. There are many loop combinations combining Bike Rt 9 with the inland county roads.

In all, a very nice place to ride in the NY metro area.

skyflash
07-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Mark and I started today at CYCLESPORT in PARKRIDGE NJ 201-391-5269. Rode back roads and along the Hudson River thru Peirmont and Nyack.

Did I see you riding a Concours, I think, wearing a Serotta jersey in Old Tappan around Noon?

EDS
07-30-2007, 11:00 AM
9W is good riding for the most part from the GW Bridge to Bear Mountain with the exception of some sketchy areas between Piermont and Nyack and around Haverstraw.

The repaving of the hill after the state line is a huge plus.