PDA

View Full Version : Fitting question

Dan Le foot
07-29-2007, 08:43 AM
Hi you fitting experts.
My Legend has a 59st and 20cm ht. I use 3cm of spacers and a -17, 110mm stem.
I just bought Old & Ugly's stock CDA. (Nice man). It has a 58st with about 17cm ht. Also has 3 cm of spacers plus stem over the CK headset.
I'm obviously going need to go with a different stem rise. But I am unsure how much rise I will need to bring the bar up to where I need it. (I'll need to go with a 120mm stem)
Wish I paid attention in geometry class.
What do you think?
Dan

dave1215
07-29-2007, 08:56 AM
i'm not a fitter but maybe this could be a helpful resource:

http://www.zinncycles.com/stemFit.aspx

Z3c
07-29-2007, 09:15 AM
If I am thinking about this correctly, you need to make-up 4cm of bar height. It may not be that much as the headtube length difference may not all be on the top end... You will nead to set the saddle on the new bike and then see where the same amount of drop/reach would place the bar on the new bike. I assume you are running the current stem flipped downward? If so, I think a plus 17 will yield a bar that is 4.5cm higher; you could then have .5cm less spacer. Or, a +12 stem will yield about 3.8cm higher bar location which is pretty close assuming the 4cm is the target..

Good luck,

Scott

michael white
07-29-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm not a fitter, but this isn't such a simple matter as measuring the steerer. Seat position, meaning bb drop and sta, as well as some other geo issues, come into play. So you have to be fitted on the bike to determine what works and what doesn't . . .

a different stem might be a start, but it's only a start.

Peter P.
07-29-2007, 05:07 PM
With the following chart, you should be able to easily determine what specs are required for the stem you want. At least if it's not available in a stock item, you could have one custom made and with this chart you'll be sure the dimensions are spot on.

http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

michael white
07-29-2007, 05:39 PM
sorry, but that chart is pretty much worthless, without factoring in the rest of the bike, including important things like bb drop, which determines how high you ride off the ground. you can likely get in the ballpark, but with a whole new bike, you can't determine contact points without looking at the whole bike. preferably with rider on it.

stevep
07-29-2007, 05:43 PM
take a yard stick and make the bars the same distance from the ground. should be very close ... if the drop is the same... close enough anyway.