PDA

View Full Version : Tufo "tubular clinchers"

Elefantino
06-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Has anyone tried the Tufo Elite t/c or any of the others? Seems like a good idea but I'm not sure how much is hype vs. fact.

Mike

William
06-28-2004, 08:34 PM
I have never tried them but you peaked my interest on the tubular clinchers. I checked out the website and saw that my new local contact (courtesy of Quattro :cool: ) was listed as a dealer. I gave them a call and asked about them. They seemed to feel that it was a good cyclocross tire (and that's what they carry) that would allow you to run at a lower pressure for better traction but still be good at avoiding pinch flats. As far as on the road, it's heavier than a clincher (of equivelent size) and you would be better off running straight tubulars (lighter and less rolling resistance) or clinchers at a slighter larger size than you do now if your getting a lot of pinch flats.

That's the conversation as I remember it, but then again, I've been hit in the head many times and...and...
That's the conversation as I remember it, but then again, I've been hit in the head many times and...and...
That's the conversation as I remember it, but then again, I've been hit in the head many times and...and...:confused:

Umm, I hope that helps.

William :)

Sandy
06-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Only three times.

Sandy

coylifut
06-28-2004, 09:32 PM
I researched this subject quite extentively and opted to go with traditionl sew-ups. The cyclocross model stretches over time and I've seen them roll many times. Luckily it's been on dirt, at low speed ,and the riders came away ok. If it happaned on the road It would be a disaster.

Bob H
06-28-2004, 10:15 PM
I use the Tufo Elites on my tubular wheels and they have been a good handling, reliable, long wearing tire - if not the fastest rolling. I also use the sealant and so far... no, I'm not going to say it. :no:

The tubular clinchers are the same tire, but with a rubber backing verses a canvas backing. I tried mounting a set on my clincher wheels, but couldn't use them because if the rim design (American Classic 350s). The rubber seal extended just a bit beyond the rim edge and I couldn't get the brake pads to fit properly. The AC rim has an unusual braking surface design, so you probably wouldn't have the same problem.

Concerning the weight, make sure you compare it with the weight of the clincher tire plus inner tube and rim tape. If you forgo the spare tire and just use the sealant/cell phone emergency kit, you probably come out ahead.

Bob