PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Campag Crank Question

djg
07-28-2007, 08:11 AM
I need a new crank for a build. "Need" may be a bit strong (or entirely fictional) as I actually have a NOS Chorus alloy crank (10 speed, but pre-hidden arm) and a bb for it and that's a very fine crank and ready to go. The thing is, everybody and his uncle seem to be blowing out pre-ultra-torque cranks and I'm tempted. In 2006 model cranks, Record alloy are available for about 125 or so, Chorus Carbon for about 200 bucks, and Record carbon for under 3.

I expect that the performance differences are small at best. I have older record and chorus cranksets and have never noticed problems flexing the arms as some report. Apart from strong preferences for the look of polished alloy or the look of carbon, does anybody have any feedback on these choices? Of course, the other question is whether to contemplate one of the new cranks, but then we're talking 350 or so for chorus and just a bunch for record, and I'm not sure I wanna pay that freight.

Thoughts?

Dekonick
07-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Just bought a Chorus carbon '06 - it looks nice.

SoCalSteve
07-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Ask Grant M about the 14% improvement with the Ultra Torque gear...

Just sayin'

Steve

djg
07-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Ask Grant M about the 14% improvement with the Ultra Torque gear...

Just sayin'

Steve

Steve

Sure, 14% just makes me wonder: 14% of what? I posted some obnoxious remarks when I read what seemed to me dubious claims that the new crank/bb was such an obvious improvement in drive-train efficiency that it gave the rider an extra gear. Although my doubts were genuine, the ribbing was intended in fun and I hope it was taken that way. In any case, I'm not expecting to get an extra gear out of this. The fact is, this would be about bling/marginal weight savings on a budget. The "old" record alloy cranks are, IMO, one of the best looking pieces of bike kit ever produced. The CF ones look cool. For a couple hundred bucks -- especially when I could sell or hold in reserve the older Chorus crankset -- I'd consider it. I'm just wondering how folks have found the CF cranks. If the reaction is just, "both the alloy and the CF have worked fine for me and I haven't noticed any difference past the appearance," that's a perfectly good piece of feedback. Other observations, including problems, would also be welcome. It's all ad hoc and it's mostly subjective, but that's ok -- it's why I asked.

Alexi
07-28-2007, 07:53 PM
i've loved the alloy record, and will be picking up an alloy record tripple in 2 weeks.

just my 2 cents

cadence90
07-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Both the alloy and the CF have worked fine for me and I haven't noticed any difference past the appearance.