PDA

View Full Version : Yet another wheel question - opinions....

saab2000
07-27-2007, 09:55 PM
For the CSI I am working on a newish set of wheels might be in order.

Many of the parts to be used are going to come from my blue Croll and the current wheels there are 8-speed Record hubs laced to Open 4CD rims. Nice wheels.

But I have been thinking of going with tubulars for this bike. Why not make it as sweet as possible?

With that in mind, it occurred to me to think about a winter project involving Zipp 250 rims. They are the really light, low-profile carbon rims from Zipp and are used on their 202 wheels. They are available in the 32-hole version I would require.

Anyone have an opinion on these rims? They aren't classic looking, but they are low-profile and black, though not aluminum anodized black.

Thoughts? Or should I just go with Ambrosio Nemesis? Or GP-4s?

Or what kinda rims for this classic lugged steel bike? FWIW, I have a set of Ambrosios on my Grandis and they have been great wheels over the years. Comfy and responsive and reliable.

regularguy412
07-27-2007, 10:54 PM
-- hearing opinions, too. I'm considering replacing an old Campy Victory Chrono rear wheel that has a 'memory' (won't stay true) from a crash in a race that occurred years ago. I'd really like something in the same weight/low-profile/19 mm rim section to compliment the still-serviceable Victory Chrono front. It, too, would need to be 32 hole, but not necessarily the same bronze anodizing as the Campy wheel.

Also considering the possiblity of lacing the non-drive side 2x and the drive side 3x , with 14-15's. Would this help even out the spoke tensions, side to side?

Mike in AR

((Apologies for the minor hijack, but I was _JUST_ thinking about this today, before I read the board. Actually, I'm amazed this thread showed up. I didn't want to make a, basically, duplicate post -- though I'm not really looking for a carbon wheel.))