PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott.............The Agony and The Ectasy

drbob
06-28-2004, 09:03 AM
:) So I finally got my ottrott and the fit was spectacular. I rode it a couple of times and it felt great and fast (see "ottrott in the house!!") and then............... :confused: click-click, click-click etc... A couple of trips later to the LBS and still click-click, click-click. More trips to the LBS.......... :confused: click-click, click-click. The clicking seemed to be only with pedal strokes. Although I wasn't sure. I tightened my pedals. Lubed my cleats. Tightened the cassette etc.. Click-click, click-click. My spectacular bike sounded like a beater bike and it was making me crazy. :butt: I was wracked with guilt. So I'm riding home alone, despondent after a pretty good morning ride and am trying everything I know to ascertain where the noise is coming from and then.... :banana: I found it! The noise was coming from the saddle. I sprayed the rails with my T9 lube and it was gone! The skies brightened. The sun shone. I could breathe. And my bike whirred along perfectly quiet except for the sound of the tires on the road. :beer:

ericmurphy
06-28-2004, 10:55 AM
I have the same problem with the Arione saddle on my Legend. I narrowed it down to the saddle when I realized the ticking went away when I stood up out of the saddle. Seems like it must be a pretty common problem.

A little spray lube on the rails makes it go away? I'll suggest that to my LBS when I bring it in for its 30-day.

BumbleBeeDave
06-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Don't you just hate those niggling little things that crop up on a new bike?

I think if you sent it along to me I could finish breaking it in for you and take care of any more little glitches so they will not bothered you if . . . uuuh, I mean WHEN I send it back to you! ;)

BBDave

drbob
06-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Actually, I sprayed the rails and the creak was still there. Then, I loosened the seatpost clamp, and really sprayed at the interface, and that did the trick.

Tony Edwards
06-28-2004, 04:22 PM
You might want to use something heavier in that interface (waterproof grease or anti-seize) to prevent a recurrence. I pretty much use anti-seize or Teflon tape everywhere another metal contacts titanium on my bikes (including interfaces with ti parts, like your saddle rails), because ti seems to have a vexing tendency toward clicking and creaking.

Tom Robison
06-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Had the same problem with my saddle and its titanium rails. A little grease, clamped it down and that was enough to quiet things right down.

Tom