PDA

View Full Version : Touching up scratches on ti surface

cowboys
07-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Any recommendations for what to use to clean up some scratches on a polished ti surface of an ottrott seat tube...i tried a scotch bright pad but this does not seem to polish enough...any recs would be appreciated...thanks

abqhudson
07-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Try the finest (four zeros or something like that) steel wool you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. Seems to work for me if I don't rub too hard.

Ahneida Ride
07-27-2007, 07:10 PM
try semichrome at velo orange.com

Semichrome Polish (http://www.velo-orange.com/simepo1.html)

Actually do the whole bike with this suff and take the finish up a notch.

Also try Mother's metal Polish..

SoCalSteve
07-27-2007, 07:14 PM
try semichrome at velo orange.com

Semichrome Polish (http://www.velo-orange.com/simepo1.html)

Actually do the whole bike with this suff and take the finish up a notch.

Also try Mother's metal Polish..

It can be bought at any hardware store....

Mix a bit of Semichrome with Pedros Bike Lust...Ok, my secret is out!!!

Works amazingly well on all bike surfaces...

The deeper the scratch, the more Semichrome.

Good luck,

Steve

cowboys
07-28-2007, 11:30 AM
thanks guys for all the great ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

palincss
07-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Any recommendations for what to use to clean up some scratches on a polished ti surface of an ottrott seat tube...i tried a scotch bright pad but this does not seem to polish enough...any recs would be appreciated...thanks

I scratched up the seat tube on my polished Santana Ti700 pretty badly when putting on a chain watcher device (the sort of zigzaggy marks you see on seatposts). They polished right out with Simichrome used on a rag.

Simichrome is great stuff. You can also use it to turn one of those matte finish Performance Strada stainless water bottle cages into something very shiny and polished, that looks like it's worth 4 times the price. Takes about an hour per watter bottle cage.

cadence90
07-28-2007, 07:40 PM
The rust colored Scotch-Brite pads and Simichrome or jeweler's rouge.

cowboys
07-29-2007, 07:34 PM
I have looked everywhere for Simichrome in lincoln nebraska.....anyone know where to purchase this stuff??? thanks

Ahneida Ride
07-29-2007, 08:00 PM
I have looked everywhere for Simichrome in lincoln nebraska.....anyone know where to purchase this stuff??? thanks

Velo orange.com

See my link above ....

dave thompson
07-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Try motorcycle shops, used pretty commonly there.