PDA

View Full Version : Dave Moulton on Tubies

jthurow
07-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Not sure if any of you kids check out Dave Moulton's blog but today he has a post on tubulars (http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/tubulars-part-i.html). Sounds like he's going to offer some tips on repairing and gluing on Monday. I wanna know where he gets those Vittoria Evo Corsa CX for $47.

jimi

fiamme red
07-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Dave Moulton's blog is great. I love the Kermit the Frog story (http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/tagged-again.html):

In 1983 I opened my own frameshop in San Marcos, California. It was all work back then trying to get the business off the ground.

The bane of my life was people soliciting and selling all manner of stuff I didn’t need. It got so bad that I would lock the door to the front office.

One day a guy walked in selling Kermit the Frog glove puppets. He had a puppet on each hand, with little red tongues that shot in and out, and immediately when into his sales pitch.

I shouted, “Who the f--- left the front door unlocked.” I walked towards the guy to show him the way out and lock the door behind him.

He must have thought I was about to attack him and he turned to run. The problem was the door had closed behind him, and he couldn’t turn the door knob because he had a Kermit the Frog puppet on each hand.

As I got closer, and closer, he kept glancing back over his shoulder with a look of sheer terror like an animal in the slaughter house.

Just as I reached him, he got the door open and was through the front office and out the front door in a flash. I locked the door behind him and went back to work.

I wonder about this guy. Did he realize he was not really cut out to be a Kermit the Frog puppet salesman, and get a real job?

Maybe after this incident he at least left one hand free to open the door for a quick get away.

And by the way, to quote Sheldon Brown: "I save my scorn for those who call tubulars 'tubies' and folks who say 'crank arm' or 'brake arch.'" :no:

Too Tall
07-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Shwing :) Thanks.

labratmatt
07-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Go to http://probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Vittoria%20Tubular&START=0&LIMIT=21 for the $47 tubbies.

I liked his tip on aligning stems.

sspielman
07-27-2007, 01:36 PM
I think that"tubies" are used by "roadies" who go "biking"...before converting to "tubies" one should always make sure to have the proper type of "hoops" as they are specific for that type of tire. As an aside, all"bikers" should make a habit of making sure that their "gooseneck" is of the correct size, or their "brifters" may not be in the proper position...

zeroking17
07-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks for posting the link to Moulton's blog. I was not aware of it.

My LBS in the mid-80s had a luscious FUSO frame hanging in the window. I dreamed of the day I'd be riding a custom FUSO.

By the time I could afford to order one, he'd left the framebuilding business.

chrisroph
07-27-2007, 04:38 PM
I wanna know where he gets those Vittoria Evo Corsa CX for $47.

jimi

I got 4 earlier this year from sdeals overseas for about $47 ea. and I've seen them for similar prices from other sources that I can't remember at the moment. They are great tires for that price (or any price really).