PDA

View Full Version : Any Alternatives for Campy Compact Chainrings?

znfdl
07-27-2007, 12:01 PM
I am trying to determine if any company makes a chain ring that is compatible with the Campy Ultra Torque Compact Crankset?

Will TA Specialties work?

Thanks, any information will be helpful.

mschol17
07-27-2007, 12:09 PM
I would call Peter White, he'll know the answer.

sspielman
07-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Unless they just started making them, T.A doesn't offer them. However, Stronglight does....and they seem to offer a wide range of sizes. Check out www.Stronglight.com
I have no idea if anybody is importing them to the US, but you might be able to order them over the net from www.xxcycle.com who seem to offer nearly everything that Stronglight makes.

MilanoTom
07-27-2007, 12:37 PM
T.A. makes 'em to fit Campy CT carbon cranks, but I haven't been able to find them in the US. They're not even on Peter White's site.

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/chainrings_road/CR_TA_NERIUS_IN.html

bfd
07-27-2007, 01:38 PM
T.A. makes 'em to fit Campy CT carbon cranks, but I haven't been able to find them in the US. They're not even on Peter White's site.

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/chainrings_road/CR_TA_NERIUS_IN.html

Its true that Peter White does not sell the TA Specialities NERIUS chainring, but since the bcd is 110, you can get the *equivalent* TA Specialities Zephyr ring in silver or if you need/want black rings, he has the TA Syrius:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp

Note - the TA Syrius 34t and 36t DO NOT have pick-up pins which may affect shifting on a triple. However, if you're using a double, why would you need them?

sspielman
07-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Its true that Peter White does not sell the TA Specialities NERIUS chainring, but since the bcd is 110, you can get the *equivalent* TA Specialities Zephyr ring in silver or if you need/want black rings, he has the TA Syrius:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp

Note - the TA Syrius 34t and 36t DO NOT have pick-up pins which may affect shifting on a triple. However, if you're using a double, why would you need them?

These rings WON"T WORK with Campag CT...While it has a 110 BCD. one bolt hole is assymetrically centered out of the the circle....

MilanoTom
07-27-2007, 01:58 PM
These rings WON"T WORK with Campag CT...While it has a 110 BCD. one bolt hole is assymetrically centered out of the the circle....

I believe it's only the carbon CT (which is the type referenced in the original question) that needs the special bolt pattern. The aluminum CT cranks, at least in the pre-UT days, used a standard 110mm bolt pattern. I used a non-Campagnolo chainring on a pre-UT aluminum Centaur CT crank, and it worked just fine. Unfortunately, I'm clueless regarding the aluminum CT models.

Tom

goonster
07-27-2007, 02:02 PM
While it has a 110 BCD. one bolt hole is assymetrically centered out of the the circle....

Like MilanoTom said, that was true of the early carbon cranks.

We're still waiting for first-hand confirmation of the UT's. Who's got one? I'm wondering about this too . . .

znfdl
07-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks for all of the info.

I have the UT CT Crank and the 34 inner ring is driving me up a wall. I am hoping that I can switch to a 40 tooth and run 50x40 combination.

I have an email into xxcycle and Peter White is unavailable to take calls this afternoon.

znfdl
07-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Update: I have done some research by sending emails to parker international, total cycling and xxcycles. Stronglight and TA make chain rings that will fit the Compact UT cranks. I have ordered a 39 to go with the 50. I am still trying to find a 40.

Since this is my commuter, I have also switched from a 12-25 cassette to a 13-26 cassette, I give up the 12 but gain an 18, which makes the compact crank more useable for me.

Bittersweet
07-31-2007, 05:33 PM
I've had great luck with xxcycles for what it is worth. Good luck.

bfd
07-31-2007, 06:34 PM
I believe it's only the carbon CT (which is the type referenced in the original question) that needs the special bolt pattern. The aluminum CT cranks, at least in the pre-UT days, used a standard 110mm bolt pattern. I used a non-Campagnolo chainring on a pre-UT aluminum Centaur CT crank, and it worked just fine. Unfortunately, I'm clueless regarding the aluminum CT models.

Tom

This is correct. Early CARBON cranks used the 110/112 bcd. ALL Campy aluminum cranks, including the current Centaur UT use 110bcd, so ANY 110bcd chainring should work.

For those with the CARBON 110/112 bcd, you can modify the 112 hole to make it fit a 110bcd.

musgravecycles
07-31-2007, 07:23 PM
TA rings work with the UT cranks. I seem to remember Zank using this setup somewhere ( maybe his wife's bike...)

NateM
07-31-2007, 10:23 PM
the new UT compact cranks ALL use 110/112 BCD rings.I am using a 2007 Alloy Centaur UT.I purchased a TA 46 outer w/pickup pins and a Sugino 36 without pins (no need for them on inner doubles). I used a dremel and carefully routed the crankarm chainring hole to fit (the offset 112mm one) I then took the 46 tooth TA ring to a machine shop and milled the area around all the holes to match the thickness of the original 50 tooth Campy ring. The bike shifts very well now that I've matched the spacing that came with the Campy rings.You can do this with most any 110 bcd ring.Make sure to use Locktite on that crankarm bolt. Harris cyclery has the TA/Sugino rings.Stronglight makes rings with the Campy BCD if you dont mind Black.The 2006 Centaur did use 110 bcd.

zank
08-03-2007, 10:03 AM
TA rings work with the UT cranks. I seem to remember Zank using this setup somewhere ( maybe his wife's bike...)

Those were the non-UT Centaur Alloy Compacts (the 5-arm spider, sqaure-taper style). Those had a 110 mm BCD.

steve575
08-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Are compact Campy rings hard to find, or just expensive? I'd like to change my UT compact to 36/50. Couldn't my LBS just get me the 36 inner? Does Campagnolo recomend the matched set?

MilanoTom
08-28-2007, 07:59 AM
I bought a 36t AFT (anti friction treatment) inner ring from Cycles Bikyle. It wasn't cheap, but that's the way it goes sometimes. I just installed it, so can't say how smoothly it'll shift with a 50t that's supposed to be matched to a 34. One caution, however. I had a really difficult time removing a couple of the black anodized Record chainring bolts. One side had a slot with a small hole drilled in the center. A regular screwdriver didn't hold it very well, and I came close to stripping one of the slots. If I had to do it over, I'd find, buy and use whatever special tool is supposed to hold the slotted side.

Here's a link to the order page:

http://www.bikyle.com/SmallPartsRd.asp

Best of luck.
Tom

znfdl
08-28-2007, 08:32 AM
I have received a 39 tooth chainring xxcycle and so far it has performed well on my Vanilla. My set up is 50X39 and 13-26 cluster. This is a perfect commuting combination for me. It will be interesting when I take this out on my some of my hillier training loops. I might get a 13-29 cluster for a true bail out gear, as I would only give up the 18 tooth gear.

I am curious as to why the domestic bike shops do not carry the aftermarket chainrings for Campy Ultra Torque cranks.

sspielman
08-28-2007, 10:04 AM
I am curious as to why the domestic bike shops do not carry the aftermarket chainrings for Campy Ultra Torque cranks.

Because they are clueless.....

MilanoTom
08-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Because they are clueless.....

Amen to that, but if more of their customers also had a clue and created some demand, the shops would eventually get with it.

cadence90
08-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Is the OP asking because of cost savings, or just to have something different?
Because, imho, neither TA nor Stronglight are as good/durable as Campagnolo chainrings.
Just curious.

djg
08-28-2007, 03:28 PM
znfndl, have you tried the pro shop? They sometimes have the odd campy part and Noel is back and seems happy as always to work things out. I don't know what they have in the way of chainrings, but they fixed my nucleon a few weeks back without having to order a spoke kit because they had some left over nucleon spokes in the back.

znfdl
08-28-2007, 03:45 PM
znfndl, have you tried the pro shop? They sometimes have the odd campy part and Noel is back and seems happy as always to work things out. I don't know what they have in the way of chainrings, but they fixed my nucleon a few weeks back without having to order a spoke kit because they had some left over nucleon spokes in the back.

djg:

the only people who I found carry the compatible compact UT rings were either in the UK or France. QBP does not carry them and certain not to be named Campy dealers had no clue......

djg
08-28-2007, 04:58 PM
... certain not to be named Campy dealers had no clue......

say no more, say no more ...

That's too bad really. It's not exactly an exotic request and given the quantity of stuff that there is around local shops, one would hope to find the knowledge and a route to the parts, if not the parts themselves.

3chordwonder
08-28-2007, 06:52 PM
I don't know, but maybe the reason there's no crowds beating down bikeshops doors for alternative parts for the UT CT set its that most owners are like me and think the Campy CT ratios work perfectly fine out of the box?

I use mine on long hard flat stages as well as up legbreaking long 9-13% gradient hills and find I have everything I need. ym obviously varies.

Bob Ross
08-29-2007, 10:41 AM
I have received a 39 tooth chainring xxcycle and so far it has performed well on my Vanilla. My set up is 50X39 and 13-26 cluster. This is a perfect commuting combination for me.

You ride a Vanilla as your commuting bike!?!?!?! That's awesome...

MilanoTom
08-29-2007, 12:23 PM
I don't know, but maybe the reason there's no crowds beating down bikeshops doors for alternative parts for the UT CT set its that most owners are like me and think the Campy CT ratios work perfectly fine out of the box?

I use mine on long hard flat stages as well as up legbreaking long 9-13% gradient hills and find I have everything I need. ym obviously varies.

Campagnolo, for most practical purposes, has one compact ratio. They(according to their catalog, at least) makes the Record CT crankset in 34-48, 34-50, and 36-50 chainring combinations. Good luck in finding one in anything but a 34-50.

Maybe your combination (34-50?) works best for you (I presume you based the assessment on your having tried at least one of the other available compact chainring combinations), but after trying both a 34-50 and a 36-50, I found that that 36-50 (with a 12-25 or 13-26 cassette) does a better job of meeting my needs. For the type of riding I do, a 34-48 with an 11-25 cogset might work even better, but there's not much point in wondering about something that's apparently rarer than hen's teeth.

Instead of recognizing the brilliance of Campagnolo (and Shimano) in anticipating the needs of most owners, I'm more of the opinion that demand is lacking because most owners (remembering that folks who can intelligently participate in forums like these are an extermely tiny minority of bicyclists) take what they get and are pretty clueless about alternatives to what's already on their shiny new bikes. I'd bet that the riders who buy a bike with 34-50 and may come to the conclusion that there's something not quite ideal (because, perhaps, they find they have to shift three rear cogs every time they shift in front) just don't know that there are relatively simple changes that could improve their existing setups. Heck, I'd venture a guess that most riders who go into a shop and plunk down a couple of grand for a brand new Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, Lemond, Fuji, et al., for their upcoming charity ride don't even know that they can switch cassettes, let alone chainrings, to suit their riding styles. Heck, a lot of them couldn't even tell you what size tires are on their bike.

In all honesty, I'd most likely be in the same boat, except I (and I'm sure many others on the list) had the good fortune of a darned good LBS and a couple of experienced riders who had the patience and took the time to show me the ropes when I was a new rider.

Regards.
Tom

MilanoTom
08-29-2007, 12:24 PM
"They makes...."??? crap, I need to reread before I post.

Orin
08-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Nashbar have both carbon ($200) and regular Centaur 34-48 ($55) compact cranks in 170 and 172.5 lengths. Some other great deals on Campy Record and Chorus square taper 39-53s as well.

Orin.

3chordwonder
08-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Maybe your combination (34-50?) works best for you (I presume you based the assessment on your having tried at least one of the other available compact chainring combinations)
- Correct, I have used and still use other combinations on the same terrain.

Instead of recognizing the brilliance of Campagnolo
- Speaking for myself, I wouldn't have that much faith in any modern large company, being run by marketing types and 'business graduates' without indepth knowledge of the products.

I'm more of the opinion that demand is lacking because most owners (remembering that folks who can intelligently participate in forums like these are an extermely tiny minority of bicyclists) take what they get and are pretty clueless about alternatives to what's already on their shiny new bikes. I'd bet that the riders who buy a bike with 34-50 and may come to the conclusion that there's something not quite ideal (because, perhaps, they find they have to shift three rear cogs every time they shift in front)
- I've often read that about the CT sets, the multiple shifting being needed to find the sweet spot. I just don't find that with my Ultegra compact, nor my Record compact.

I guess that in the end it's probably partly just that as said before, there are thousands of riders out there who don't even know they have options in their gearing, but also partly that there are thousands who have no trouble finding a gear close enough to what they feel they want in a given situation with the standard setups. Plus, surely some riders are less picky than others about their bikes needing to be millimetre perfect, and it's not always lack of knowledge that makes them so.

Funny thing is I always thought I'm the prototype nitpicking millimetre guy but the Campy CT crankset ratios just happen to not be something that's burnt my toast. The shape of their hoods, yes, the creaking noises from the cables when turning the handlebars, yes, the cheap looking plastic in the Neutron Ultra hubs, yes, the way the rear mech needs frequent finetuning with the barrel adjuster to be noise free, yes, but that's all another story.

I'll start paying more close attention and see if I can identify any times when I'm flipping across gears to get where I want to be, or any other dramas. If so I won't thank you for creating a problem for me where there was none before ;-)

Orin
08-29-2007, 09:57 PM
- I've often read that about the CT sets, the multiple shifting being needed to find the sweet spot. I just don't find that with my Ultegra compact, nor my Record compact.

Well, I grew up with 42-52 double cranksets... I'm multiple shifting with just a 39-53 and a 34-50 is worse (not that multiple shifting is necessarily bad for the riding I do). We'll see how the 34-48 that just arrived from Nashbar does.

Orin.

MilanoTom
08-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Nashbar have both carbon ($200) and regular Centaur 34-48 ($55) compact cranks in 170 and 172.5 lengths. Some other great deals on Campy Record and Chorus square taper 39-53s as well.

Orin.

Shoot, I guess 34-48 ain't as rare as I thought (where the heck do they hide stuff before Nashbar finds it!?!).

Thanks for taking the time to letting us know. I placed my order last night.

Regards.
Tom