PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Ravello Bikes??

jrisles
06-28-2004, 03:57 AM
Hi Guys

I have just done a forum search on "Ravello" and there has been absolutely nothing said about this bicycle manufacturer on here??

Who knows of them and their bikes. I noticed in the road bike section he is bringing out a Ravello frame set with SS lugs and Carbon Forks.

Also what do you make of this style of design for a tandem?? I noticed that Cannondale and Sanatana and most other tandem manufacturers all opt for a "straight through" diagonal tube. A diagonal tube that goes straight through the captains seat post to meet up with the steerer tube. But these diagonal tubes stop at the Captains seat post.

Also doesn't the "Ravello" logo remind you of the "Seven" logo?? It certainly does to me.

(Sorry couldn't upload any of the Ravello bikes as the images from their site are too large to be uploaded to this forum. So i have posted a link instead for comparison).

http://www.ravellobikes.com/blue_coupler_frame_1.JPG

cheers
Jeff
Brisbane, Australia

BumbleBeeDave
06-28-2004, 06:39 AM
. . . but here’s a downsized pic. Do all their bikes come with couplers?

BBdave

jrisles
06-28-2004, 06:46 AM
what exactly is a coupler for?? Am i right in assuming that a couple allows you have both a single as well as a tandem if and when the mood and time permits?? If this is so .. what a fantastic idea!! Or does a coupler merely allow you to dismantle the bike for easy portability?

cheers
Jeff
Brisbane, Australia

BumbleBeeDave
06-28-2004, 06:59 AM
. . . are for dismantling the bike for travel. They unscrew, from what I hear. Ritchey also makes a bike that breaks in half with a different coupler system. Several other manufacturers I have heard of also make bikes that break in half without benefit of couplers, but they shall remain nameless! :rolleyes:

I do not know of any bike that changes from single to tandem with couplers, but it IS an intriguing idea . . .

BBDave

jrisles
06-29-2004, 04:58 AM
Hi Guys

I wanted to bring this back to the top of the postings list. I am amazed that no one on here has heard of this frame builder. His bikes look very good. It would be good to hear from someone who knows of this builder and whether or not anyone has ridden any of his bikes.

cheers
Jeff
Brisbane, Australia

BumbleBeeDave
06-29-2004, 06:34 AM
. . . is he located? If he’s Down Under, then it’s not that big a surprise that no one here has heard of him. You are the only Australian Forum member I know of.

Can you post a link for his home page, not just that photo?

BBDave

dave thompson
06-29-2004, 07:29 AM
Ravello is a very small builder in San Diego, California: http://www.ravellobikes.com/ There seems to be a strong link between the Grand Bicycles in Escondido and Ravelllo. Common ownership maybe?

jrisles: There are hundreds and hundreds of custom bicycle builders in the U.S. that are not known out of their local area. Some will last and become well known, others will fade away after a few frames built. I believe that the U.S. has more custom frame makers now than anywhere else in the world, yet how many other than a handful, are known on a national let alone a world level? Only a very few.

jrisles
06-29-2004, 07:39 AM
Dave says; There are hundreds and hundreds of custom bicycle
builders in the U.S. that are not known out of their local area. Some will last
and become well known, others will fade away after a few frames built. I
believe that the U.S. has more custom frame makers now than anywhere else
in the world, yet how many other than a handful, are known on a national let
alone a world level? Only a very few.
So i guess by exposing the builders to forums like this they gain recognition. And it is this recognition that will seperate one brilliant frame builder from another brilliant frame builder.

BBD; i posted the link in my original posting. Dave T has just reposted the link for you. So he is a CALIFORNIAN!! NOT a little unknown Australian :D From the pics you must agree his work does look good?? Just in case you may be wondering i am in no way connected to this company .. i just somehow stumbled across his website (as you do when one surfs the net and his frames looked on par with alot of other good looking frames posted on here. So i thought if anyone had heard of him .. then i thought someone on here would have. And it seems i was right. Anyone actually ridden a Ravello??

All the best my Northern Exposure Friends.

From the Land of Antipodes

(Surely i am NOT the only Aussie forumite on here??) Aren't you guys going to have your next Serotta Owners weekend here in Aus?? That is when one of you is going to bring over my new Serotta!!! ;)

Jeff
Brisbane, Australia

dave thompson
06-29-2004, 08:04 AM
jrisles: This is for you: http://www.bikesutra.com/manatoi.html That should occupy you for sevearl years :D

mso
06-29-2004, 10:42 AM
He is a small builder in Escondido, CA. He owns Grand Bicycles, a LBS shop on Grand Ave. I've only seen his bikes, the one he rides and one in the shop. No idea how they ride. Paint is nothing special but I think you can get whatever you like.

hybridbellbaske
06-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Hey Guys Don't forget about little old me!

Serotta fan from Adelaide

BumbleBeeDave
06-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Sorry about that, HBB . . .

BTW, is a “Forumite” anything like “Vegemite?” ;)

BBDave

hybridbellbaske
06-29-2004, 11:51 PM
BBD,

No worries, mate! as we say in Australia. Actually, there is another Australian saying to the same intent- "No wuckers" which is short for "No wucking furries" which is itself a spoonerism of "No f....." Oh never mind!

Vegemite is great! Have you ever tried it? My girlfriend, who is from England, insists however that Marmite is the only sort of yeast spread. I guess it all depends on what you are brought up on.