PDA

View Full Version : Hors Maintenance?

Gat64
12-11-2003, 03:18 PM
I bought a Hors Categorie this year (2001 model) and I am wondering if there is anyone with a maintenance guide or manual? I would love to get a copy - I'll pay for the copies and shipping!

I'm not sure if the pivot section needs regreasing etc.

Also, does anyone know if the elastomer strips are still available for purchasing from Serotta? If so, how much??

Thanks for your time.

ps: Man, I love this bike. I hopped from a 81 Bianchi Super Legere to this... it was quite a techonological shift....

Stewball
12-11-2003, 03:38 PM
If you have a bushing at the pivots and not a bearing go to the Serotta/Store/Components, you'll see the DKS rebuild kit. Make sure the old parts on the bike aren't damaged, (doubt it) clean the pivot area very carefully, use an assembly lube generously on all parts. Be careful with the sealwashers, any forcing may cause them to separate and this is the only problem I've ever had with this bike. If the sealwasher fails, the lube will not be there and you may get an ANOYING creek. Reassemble, wipe any grease off that comes out, ride for several thousand miles. If you ride in wet conditions reapply the lube often. This is the greatest ride, go find the mountains, pedal like the begezzus all the way down, (pass on the right). There is no need to do this very much at all; the parts don't ever really wear.
As far as I know the elastomers are available and I better get a couple of sets if more people are going to be attacking the supply. Elastomers came in three settings; as required by the rider. You're not the orginial rider and you may want to find out what that person specified when the bike was ordered.
Other than that rear triangle you have a Legend ti, take care of it as such. Be a good bike owner and the bike will last longer than you.
There is only one way to get a better ride, have one custom built. Unfortunately, your custom built bike won't be the Hors Catagorie, so I hope the one you have is real close.
Enjoy it, mine will never leave my ...possession.

Have fun,
A.J.

Stewball
12-11-2003, 03:41 PM
I can't belive I wrote that!!!

PASS ON THE LEFT! Please.

Hating myself.
A.J.

Keep right, pass left!

Gat64
12-12-2003, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the great info!

When I bought the bike I was told the elastomer was a medium. Not sure if there is that much of a difference between them.

I'll tackle the maintenance as described tonight. Thanks again!

Oh... and... <ahem>....

I solemnly swear to respect and honour my Hors....

dnovo
12-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Why not ask 'the man?' Dave Kirk is usually pretty decent about answering questions. Drop him a note at his website, listed under 'members' here or www.kirkframeworks.com Dave N.