PDA

View Full Version : OT: Italy observations

malcolm
07-26-2007, 11:22 PM
With all the bad news, I'll give a little report from my italy trip.
1) All the info I got on this site was very accurate and thanks to all that contributed
2) It was a family thing and I didn't ride a pedal stroke, but man were there some cyclists and even my wife commented on how smooth they looked, no knees and elbows all over the place and some of the smoothest pedal strokes I've ever seen. Reminded me of some of Swoop's arguements.
3) Italy was incredible, I liked it considerably more than France and I really liked France. In France I found the people to be very accomodating but they needed to be approached in Italy the welcome came easier and they seemed truly happy to interact and help you experience their culture. We were in Tuscany between Lucca and Massarosa for a little over a week and in Venice for about 3 days. I liked Venice but it may be one of the most expensive places on the planet.
4) I didn't follow advice from here and drove in Florence several times in a full sized Mercedes diesel van. I don't recommend it. If you must however I do recommend a Garmin Nuvi. We had a Garmin Nuvi 370 with us that comes preloaded with street level detail of the us and europe and it was awesome, I couldn't believe the tiny streets and alleys that it found. It guided us faithfully on foot and in the car for the whole trip.
5) I highly recommend Italy if you can swing it. We had the kids with us and they loved it as well (7&5). This was one of a few trips that I have no regrets, it was worth every penny. I'll definitely go back and bring the bike.

abqhudson
07-27-2007, 01:37 PM
As an unabashed shill (not connected except as a highly satisfied customer) for the Hotel Belvedere, a bike hotel on the Adriatic in Riccione, Italy, I recommend that you check this out before your next trip to Italy:

http://www.belvederericcione.com/cgi/benvenuti.html?lingua=en&sezione=ciclisti

Great place, great people.

My wife, a non-cyclist, went and had a fabulous time. I note that others on this board have also visited, so you can get other opinions if you develop an interest.

Jim

goonster
07-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Tell us about the food!

Did you find anything unusual or interesting on the menus?

(I miss it already.)

Michael Maddox
07-27-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm planning a trip (8-10 days) for next year's Giro, and WILL be on the bike. Does anyone have any suggestions for tour companies? Although it's expensive, the access and bikes provided by Trek Travel seems very enticing. Although I had intended to take the Pogliaghi or the Cinelli (old home week), just packing a saddle and pedals is far more appealing.

BoulderGeek
07-28-2007, 07:35 AM
I am working up my itinerary for August.

It looks like I have 8 days, 9 nights in Italy. I will have a France/Italy 6-hop Eurail pass (4 hops free). But, I need to keep days close to $120 or so.

I would like to do two 4-day stays in areas that I can base from and get to know a little, rather than being constantly on the move.

Anyone know of strategies for cheap lodging for cyclists?