PDA

View Full Version : Got My First Dog Today- A Beagle (1 year old)

samtaylor1
07-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Any recommendations as to what to get my new boy?

SoCalSteve
07-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Ceaser Milan DVD's...

http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/

Or, just set up your TIVO to the National Geographic Channel and watch "The Dog Whisperer".

Great insights into how to train dogs. Actually, training people on how to think about their dogs and be the "pack leader".

Good luck with your new puppy!

Steve

Ken Robb
07-26-2007, 07:22 PM
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

It's music if you like that sort of thing.

dave1215
07-26-2007, 07:25 PM
make sure he has plenty of dog toys to chew or he will start chewing other things

Ken Robb
07-26-2007, 07:40 PM
make sure he has plenty of dog toys to chew or he will start chewing other things
Maybe, but this dog is no puppy so the worst of the chewies should be in the past.

Sandy
07-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Qualification for anything I say here- I don't own a dog and never trained a dog.

I recommend that you socialize your dog with both people and other dogs. That is very important. Take him out and let him meet lots of people in lots of situations and lots of other dogs- assuming that he has been properly vaccinated and the vet says that it is ok.

Take him for obedience classes.

Understand that your Beagle is a scent hound and a good one at that, so his nose will rule a lot of how he acts.

A crate might be a good idea, especially if you need to housebreak him. Lots of dogs like a special place of their own.

Beagles are real pack animals and love to be with their pack. Your family will be his pack. There will be a hierarchy established within the pack. You should establish that for him.

Give him lots and lots of love, as he will give that back to you. Try to reward positve and wanted behavior and don't punish unwanted behavior, but try to substitute tha unwanted behavior by a wanted behavior.

Take him to the vet for a complete exam.

Dog bones etc. are excellent for a dog, but I would ask the vet which ones are ok. I don't really know.

Milk Bone Sandy

manet
07-26-2007, 07:41 PM
http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/

Sandy
07-26-2007, 07:44 PM
PS- Where may I ask are some photos????

Shuttergug Sandy

jhcakilmer
07-26-2007, 08:26 PM
We have a beagle, and basically you and your family will be ruled by his nose! You have to train him well, otherwise if you let him of the leash and he picks up a scent that is enticing, you can forget about him coming when you call......he will not hear you, nor will the throwing of rocks or sticks distract him......it's almost a hypnotic trance that they go into......it's crazy!

We don't do anything special, just reward positive behavior.....and after 2 years it's working well!!

Good luck, we love ours....great dogs!

Dekonick
07-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Get an electric fence and train that dog to stay inside - beagles have wanderlust...

Fantastic dogs - gotta love 'em.

J.Greene
07-26-2007, 09:56 PM
We used them for rabbit hunting growing up. Beagles are great. But the nose will lead them into some unsafe places like the street. Be careful.

JG

We have a beagle, and basically you and your family will be ruled by his nose! You have to train him well, otherwise if you let him of the leash and he picks up a scent that is enticing, you can forget about him coming when you call......he will not hear you, nor will the throwing of rocks or sticks distract him......it's almost a hypnotic trance that they go into......it's crazy!

We don't do anything special, just reward positive behavior.....and after 2 years it's working well!!

Sandy
07-26-2007, 11:49 PM

Yep. I think that jccakilhammer has it nailed. As an excellent scent hound, a beagle will absolutely follow its nose. If he gets a scent, he follows it very quickly in a most focused and determine way. That is what scent hounds do.

"...just reward positive behavior..." sounds like a great approach. If your dog is exhibiting a negative behavior, try not to punish that behavior, but instead, try to substitute that behavior with an acceptable and desired behavior by rewarding that particular behavior. Try not to overreact or react at all to the negative behavior, as this often perpetuates it. Replace tha behavior. At least that is how I see it.

Sandy

Too Tall
07-27-2007, 07:39 AM
hahaha. So true about beagles. "Trixie" is a beagle who lives 6 houses north. I've got her owners phone # in my speed dial :rolleyes: When I see her, I just open the door and call.

William
07-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Congrats!

Sandy has some good tips. Also...

Yep. I think that jccakilhammer has it nailed. As an excellent scent hound, a beagle will absolutely follow its nose. If he gets a scent, he follows it very quickly in a most focused and determine way. That is what scent hounds do.

Very true. If Rhea Basset gets a scent, fa-getta-bout it. She'd be gone in a heart beat with nothing else to distract her. Fenced yard and always on a leash out side of the yard.

BaaWoo!
BaaWoo!

William

BigDaddySmooth
07-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Any recommendations as to what to get my new boy?

A wabbitt or tree rat. They would be alot of fun for the pup.

Beagle's are not the smartest dogs in the pack. They tend to follow the nose and not see the obvious, such as the rabbit 10 feet away, frozen, as the beagle sniffs around in circles. Mine once brought home a rear leg bone of a deer. Good girl.