PDA

View Full Version : I seem to bounce - why & how can I fix?

abqhudson
07-26-2007, 03:21 PM
On my new-to-me Serotta Concours, I seem to have a tendency to bounce when I'm seated and pedaling hard at a high cadence - which I don't do that often. I've had bigger frames and smaller frames - no bouncing. I did try to set this frame up like its predecessor. Lower Bottom bracket and longer chain stays than the other bikes cause this?? Or, maybe I'm in better shape and pedaling harder and all of the frames would have acted the same?? I note that the seat has been creeping upward and is now a little higher than it was - any impact? Buy a NOVE?

I really like the ride of this bike, but, If there is a way to stop the bounce, I'd like to do that. Any thoughts as to how I might correct this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

Fixed
07-26-2007, 03:24 PM
bro leggs ain't use to speed yet ....relax let your leggs do the talkin
imho cheers

justinf
07-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Seat height change will do it.

Ken Robb
07-26-2007, 03:33 PM
when we get our saddles a bit higher it can cause us to rock our hips. Think about pedalling circles and see if you can smooth it out. If not, drop the saddle until you can.

palincss
07-26-2007, 07:01 PM
On my new-to-me Serotta Concours, I seem to have a tendency to bounce when I'm seated and pedaling hard at a high cadence - which I don't do that often. I've had bigger frames and smaller frames - no bouncing. I did try to set this frame up like its predecessor. Lower Bottom bracket and longer chain stays than the other bikes cause this?? Or, maybe I'm in better shape and pedaling harder and all of the frames would have acted the same?? I note that the seat has been creeping upward and is now a little higher than it was - any impact? Buy a NOVE?

I really like the ride of this bike, but, If there is a way to stop the bounce, I'd like to do that. Any thoughts as to how I might correct this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

Try lowering your saddle a few mm.

myette10
07-26-2007, 07:22 PM
bro leggs ain't use to speed yet ....relax let your leggs do the talkin
imho cheers
spot on advice here: commit to sit. let your a$$ do it's job and circle those leggies.

Sheldon4209
07-26-2007, 07:25 PM
I have found that keeping my feet flat and pulling back on the bottom of the stroke keeps me from bouncing. Might give it a try.
Sheldon

gasman
07-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Try a good sports bra

;)

abqhudson
07-26-2007, 08:09 PM
I appreciate all of the comments - I'll try lowering the seat some and work on my stroke.

Jim

StephenCL
07-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Try this excerise.

1) First warm up and do a few high rev spins.
2) Remove one foot from a pedal. Pedal with just one leg... where is the flat spot?
3) If the flat spot is at the bottom of your stroke, your saddle could be a touch too high.
4) If the flat spot is at the top of the stroke, your saddle could actually be too low.

For years, I knew my exact bb to saddle top measurement. Last spring I bought a couple new rides, read a bunch of books and started messing with my position. In particularly I had lowered my saddle.

To make a long story short, I realized that by lowering my saddle, I had created a spot in my spin where I was too bunched up. Lifted my seat back to the old postion, and violia I was spinning nice little circles again immediately.

Good luck.

Stephen

regularguy412
07-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I have found that keeping my feet flat and pulling back on the bottom of the stroke keeps me from bouncing. Might give it a try.
Sheldon

+1 on this suggestion

Also, if you move your saddle down a bit, but still feel cramped, e.g., 'reach to the bars' -- you may want to move your saddle a very slight amount ( few millimeters ) toward the back. This should keep your 'leg reach' to the pedals about the same, but allow you to more easily get the pedal over the top of the stroke and/or pulled through the bottom of the stroke. Remember to do _SMALL_ changes and ride those changes for a few days before making a decision about that, one, position.

Mike in AR

Ti Designs
07-27-2007, 12:10 AM
This is the type of question where you ask a bunch of people you know nothing about for advice for a problem they can't see. I feel there's only one good answer I could give - Sawzall!!! (the sports bra was a close second)

OK seriously, find someone who knows cycling and go for a ride.

Kevan
07-27-2007, 06:17 AM
I dunno...I'm just throwing it out there.

Giff
07-27-2007, 08:51 AM
"Perfect Circles...Perfect Circles....Perfect Circles..."

:D

RPS
07-27-2007, 09:05 AM
"Perfect Circles...Perfect Circles....Perfect Circles..."

:DA fixed-length crank arm rotating about an axle ensures that. :)

Seriously, pedaling creates up and down forces. When these forces become large enough, everyone will bounce. The magnitude just happens to go up very fast along with cadence, which is why so many people bounce at very high RPMs.

Unless the saddle is too high, it's hard to bounce at low cadences regardless of technique.

dave thompson
07-27-2007, 11:15 AM

Jim
Two weeks at the Belvedere & race rides everyday with Glen = no bounce! :)

abqhudson
07-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi Dave.

You don't need a vacation - you've already had a vacation.

:banana: