PDA

View Full Version : *****

14max
07-26-2007, 08:55 AM

dauwhe
07-26-2007, 09:00 AM
J.P. Weigle Randonneur, 650B, built for the new Grand Bois Hetre 42mm tires.

Front rack, Berthoud handlebar bag, Schmidt generator hub with Solidlight, B17 saddle, Nitto bar and stem, the rest hardly matters!

Dave

itsflantastic
07-26-2007, 09:04 AM
money not an issue?
meivici.

money an issue? (though i still can't afford it :rolleyes:)
a kirk frameworks with a regular rear triangle.

either would be built up with campy record, some custom built wheels. you know. . . real tasteful like and a bit race oriented.

benb
07-26-2007, 09:07 AM
I'd have a cross bike with the ability to take fenders + racks.

Either that or a custom hardtail mountain bike that could also take racks + fenders. Perhaps a 29er... might be the best balance.

The problem with taking something like a Meivici as your one true bike is it's going to suck on lots of terrain or not even let you ride there at all.

goonster
07-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Lugged Steel
Slack seat angle
Brooks B-17
Tutto Nitto
Rando triple (50/40/28) with barcons
Clearance for 700 x 30c with fenders

So, um, that's pretty much the bike I have now, except that the triple isn't on yet, and if I started over from scratch I might go with brazed-on Paul Racers instead of std. reach sidepulls.

There are quite a few builders taking orders today with whom I'd be thrilled to place an order for such a "forever" bike. More, even, than atmo counts on his hand.

14max
07-26-2007, 09:11 AM

zap
07-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Calfee Bamboo/Hemp cross frame with crazy light parts.

mschol17
07-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Only having one bike necessitates fenders and lights, at least in my opinion. I think something something in the spirit of DBRK's Club-Racer style Goodrich would be perfect. Fenders and lights and larger tires on for daily use, and taken off for go-fast days.
Who would build it? That's be the tough question- Goodrich, Weigle, Mariposa, Vanilla, Tournesol...

Fixed
07-26-2007, 09:16 AM
serotta steel fixed gear

14max
07-26-2007, 09:18 AM

14max
07-26-2007, 09:22 AM

sg8357
07-26-2007, 09:40 AM
I had one bike for a while, Rivendell Atlantis MK1.

Club rides, snow days, touring, a little dirt.
Bike worked well, descended like a demon.
I did have two sets of wheels, skinny rim/wheel go fast with a narrow
cassette, and a fat rim/tire with a 12/32 for dirt/touring etc.

Grant Peterson knows All Rounders.
An Ebisu All Purpose would be another.

Scott G.

saab2000
07-26-2007, 09:45 AM
serotta steel fixed gear

Bingo!

'Cept I'd have to have gears. But a Serotta steel bike would be in the top three for a forever bike. Maybe I'd have to go with a Kirk for the steel fork. A forever bike would have to have a steel fork.

TimB
07-26-2007, 09:49 AM
I'd like a Serotta Ti fixie with rack and fender mounts.

Sandy
07-26-2007, 09:52 AM
I think that it would be the one that I own now- Ottrott ST, Dura-Ace 10, with wheels built by Jeremy, Shimano compact crank, wcs stem, Salsa handlebar,.....

I am seriously considering buying a second bike- It would either be a Serotta all steel CDA, a Kirk non-terraplane steel (possibly fillet brazed) or a Spectrum titanium. How could I ever go wrong with one of them??

Sandy

darylb
07-26-2007, 09:57 AM
I would be torn between a Serotta Legend and a Kirk. Fortunately, I cant afford either so I dont have to make that decision. :crap:

Ken Robb
07-26-2007, 10:13 AM
I would be torn between a Serotta Legend and a Kirk. Fortunately, I cant afford either so I dont have to make that decision. :crap:
stay alert for a deal on a used one. :beer:

Fixed
07-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Fixed - How would you change things on it to make it easier for you when you're older? Also, would the frameset be a one-off lugged or would you stick with the current method of TIG welding?
bro I'm old now I'd leave it to mr. smith they( serotta) know what they are doing .to much input from me would just screw it up imho
:beer: cheers
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7537&highlight=track+bike

soulspinner
07-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Spectrum ti. Only 1, ti wont rust, Campy cause Ill be able to get parts till Im gone from the earth...

vaxn8r
07-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Bingo!

'Cept I'd have to have gears. But a Serotta steel bike would be in the top three for a forever bike. Maybe I'd have to go with a Kirk for the steel fork. A forever bike would have to have a steel fork.
The OP didn't say a "forever" bike. He said "one" bike.

It would have to be a race bike. Fenders are great for an all rounder but one bike? It's gotta be mean, lean and fast. It might be a Robusta tandem. If not I still haven't ridden a better bike than my Tetra Pro.

slowgoing
07-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Only having one means splurging more than I would otherwise spend for the right one, huh?

It would be one of the following:

Meivici
Legend
Kirk
Weigle Randonneur
Merckx MX Leader
Merckx Majestic

While the Majestic doesn't have the same reputation as the others, I continue to be pleasantly surprised by how nice this ride is.

J.Greene
07-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Too tough to call.

Richard Sachs signature road is probably my favorite.

If I could have another new bike it would be Weigle without question.

JG

Jeff N.
07-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Holland Exogrid, decked head to toe with Dura Ace...including 7801SL wheels. Jeff N.

myette10
07-26-2007, 12:12 PM
timeless hand made bike built by a friend.

SoCalSteve
07-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Holland Exogrid, decked head to toe with Dura Ace...including 7801SL wheels. Jeff N.

Dont you already own this?

Just sayin'

Steve

Jeff N.
07-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Yep. And if I could only have one custom bike, the Exogrid'd be it. Jeff N.

MilanoTom
07-26-2007, 01:16 PM
As far as what I already own, my Grandis Overmax Light is pretty darned tough to beat (especially with the pimped out purple/white/orange fade paint job).

If anything goes, I'd wait for Dario to be back to full steam, pay a visit (heck, it's been a while since I've had a real vacation), and see what he'd surprise me with a few months later.

Regards.
Tom

rickygarni
07-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Yes to full-steam Dario.

In the meantime, I will be corny and say "the bicycle I already have" which also is a Dario, Marcelo, with Chorus, with Vredesteins. But no streamers on the handlebars. Someday.

I am trying to imagine a better bike. I think my imagination is OK, but still, I can't. Perhaps one day I will find out if the Responso tops it.

Ricky

davids
07-26-2007, 01:25 PM
I can't do it. Minimum number of bike I need is two, one for the road and one for the woods.

Only one, ultimate road bike? Today, I'd pick a Serotta Ottrott, with geo nearly identical to my Nove, but with slightly sharper handling and (maybe) slightly stiffer ride. I'd want the comfort of my Nove with the precision of my Love #3. Tint the carbon blue and put white decals on the top and downtubes.

Components? Arione saddle (white, with matching Fizik bartape), 3TTT Forgie bars, PMP seatpost and Oval Concepts stem. Dura Ace components, and a whole bunch of wheels, from low-profile DT Swiss clinchers to Mavic Cosmic Carbone tubies. And an assortment of Michelin and Veloflex rubber.

Grant McLean
07-26-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm super-glad there is no reason why I have to choose 1 bike!

To do everything I want, and all the riding into one bike,
i'd have to choose be either a Weigle Sportif, or a Sachs Cross bike,
both choices roll a whole bunch of versitility into one package.

Mountain biking on the Sachs, or riding the Weigle on the velodrome
might be a bit of a stretch, and either way, i'd have to find a more
secure place to lock it up than on the street!

g

Kirk007
07-26-2007, 01:35 PM
with that very idea in mind: Kirk Terraplane with room for 30-32 mm tires and fenders; alloy components where it matters most to me: seatpost, stem, cranks, Phil bottom bracket, and Campy drivetrain.

Fine, predictable handling on the road, loves gravel/dirt, goes all year, looks great, durable and reliable.

Greg

93legendti
07-26-2007, 01:43 PM
...made from a "custom" maker, what would it be?

This question is, of course, building off the "If you could have three bikes..." thread in the Custom Bikes folder.

Which one bike would you have and how would you kit it out? My answer?:

Richard Sachs Custom (frameset)
Component mix of R600 (crankset/brakeset), 6600 (bottom bracket, chain, cassette, hubs), and 7800 (bar end shifters, derailleurs)
Oval Concepts (bar, stem, seatpost)

The component mix is optimal for me. I feel I'm getting the best of each category without compromising anything. I get high performance shifting, workmanlike drivetrain, and the ability to run fenders when I feel like it. It's still racy but not strictly so.

Edit: Money is not an issue. Remember: this will be the last bike you will ever own in your lifetime.
A Serotta Uniscasi (ti!) with eyelets for racks and fenders (and pump peg!) I am about to sign off on.

dave1215
07-26-2007, 02:58 PM
A Serotta Uniscasi (ti!) with eyelets for racks and fenders (and pump peg!) I am about to sign off on.

what kind of fenders go through the carbon fork?

MilanoTom
07-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Yes to full-steam Dario.

In the meantime, I will be corny and say "the bicycle I already have" which also is a Dario, Marcelo, with Chorus, with Vredesteins. But no streamers on the handlebars. Someday.

I am trying to imagine a better bike. I think my imagination is OK, but still, I can't. Perhaps one day I will find out if the Responso tops it.

Ricky
The Responsorium is what got me seriously interested in finding a Pegoretti for myself.

Based on my riding style (or lack thereof), his fatter-tubed frames might have been more than I really needed (I test rode an 8:30AM, and frankly, I don't think it was for me). I was very fortunate to find a NOS Palosanto about a month ago.

I finished building the Palosanto last Saturday and haven't had a chance to give it a really good once-over on the road. From a half-hour test ride, however, I could tell that it felt fast as crap and smoother than anything else I own. It could well end up as top of my modest heap, but since we're talking about the ultimate here, it would be worth the trip overseas not only to meet him, but also to see what his imagination would conjure up for me.

Regards.
Tom

Dekonick
07-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Hors Categorie - I just wish mine had room for larger tires...

So...

Guess I am pretty lucky to already have mine. I just wish I could have gotten custom geo with more options...

as that is no longer an option probably a Kirk - or a mevici (gotta try one first but they sound like a sweet bike) IF it can stand the test of time.

Campy bits, centaur or better.

32 spoke wheels on record hubs.

Brooks B-17 baby - doesn't need to be Ti - just a good 'ole B-17.

:banana:

tv_vt
07-26-2007, 03:52 PM
If I could only have one bike, it would have to be titanium. Maybe part painted just to make it pretty, but the rear end-Bb would stay unpainted. Could ride it year round. Would have to have a pump peg. Clearance for 28c tires, but not worried about fenders and lights. I don't trust drivers to not kill me after dark.

It would be close to the Merckx Ti EX I have now, with slack seat angle. Maybe a head tube extension and a 1-1/8 steerer would be improvements I'd make over the Merckx, which is a late 90's model.

A custom Legend, in other words :)

Thom

itsflantastic
07-26-2007, 04:41 PM
http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2139

I fell in love with that bike about 2 years ago when I saw it. That's the ride I would ride if I could ride any ride.

taz-t
07-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Too tough to call.

Richard Sachs signature road is probably my favorite.

If I could have another new bike it would be Weigle without question.

JG

650B or 700c? And how cool was his personal time trial bike at Cirque this year?

- taz

stevep
07-26-2007, 04:48 PM
im waiting for a zanc cross frame.
perish the thought of only owning 1 bike, though.

taz-t
07-26-2007, 04:52 PM
RS signature with fender eyelets. Campy Record alloy components, 9sp era

And maybe one of those pinup girls like on Dario's WhyNot? scheme painted in a discreet place (with my sweetie's face - how sappy is that?)

- taz

14max
07-26-2007, 04:53 PM

93legendti
07-26-2007, 05:01 PM
what kind of fenders go through the carbon fork?

No plans for that yet, as in general this is a travel road bike with the options of fenders and/or racks if necessary, but some options for fenders are:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=25233

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=250198&postcount=9

texbike
07-26-2007, 10:34 PM
It would be my Telekom Team-painted Merckx MX Leader. It's a solid 21 lbs of good-handling, smooth-riding, responsive fun. It more than handles my meager wattage and has a certain level of coolness to boot.

Texbike

Ti Designs
07-27-2007, 12:04 AM
I have a road bike. everything on it mostly works 'cept maybe the rider. Can we expand the question to include legs or lungs???

Climb01742
07-27-2007, 04:39 AM
the first bike dario builds the day after the doctors tell him he's cured.

stevep
07-27-2007, 05:57 AM
the first bike dario builds the day after the doctors tell him he's cured.

hey,
whats up w/ yr other peg?

cs124
07-27-2007, 07:11 AM
the custom 531 framed workhorse that my parents bought me for my 21st.

14max
08-13-2007, 05:50 PM

bostondrunk
08-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Pina Dogma custom.

C5 Snowboarder
08-13-2007, 06:00 PM
I can comprehend 1 bike senario...
I have 3-4 cars, 10 snowboards, 4 sets of golf clubs, to list a few bad habits.

I am sure the next year or 2 will bring a couple more bikes into my house.

BTW - I am single -- maybe that helps! :banana: