PDA

View Full Version : pitlock skewers

d_douglas
07-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Has anybody used these? I am being stupid and getting rid of my beater in favour of commuting on a nice bike and now feel as though I need to buy skewers to discourage a select few from running away with my wheels.

So, I have heard Pitlock skewers are a good idea and are reliable. Is this true? Short of mangling the frame or fork and damaging the wheels, is it difficult/impossible to steal wheels that use these skewers?

Also, can the rear be used on 130 and 135mm axles? ie. could I use them on another bike with different rear spacing? I have seen that they have an Ahead Lock as well - good idea, as STI shifters ain't cheap.

How much do I need to pay for the set? Opinions?

mschol17
07-26-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm sure you know this, but check out Peter White's website for all the information you ever needed on Pitlock skewers. He says, "The rear hubs can use any axle length up to 145mm. Please specify your rear axle length so we give you the right skewer." So, I'm not sure that they'll work on both 130 and 135, but I can measure mine when I get home tonight.

I have a new set of wheel skewers that I'd be willing to sell, because I've never needed them like I thought I would. PM me if you're interested. You could add the seatpost binder and aheadset pitlock onto the set through PW.

chakatrain
07-26-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm curious about this too.

itsflantastic
07-26-2007, 11:33 AM
I live in nyc, and I went and got these (i think they are the same thing . . the skewers with removable quick release levers, right?)

Anyway, my experience with them was terrible. The wheels would not always stay straight in the drop outs after some hard riding or if I hit road imperfections too hard. I remember I was riding home from work one day, and no matter how hard I tightened the rear skewer, after a matter of about a block, the wheel would find it's way to rubbing the inside of the chain stay. I ended up carrying the bike home on my shoulder.

I think the better thing to do is just get extra kryptonite locks and lock your wheels to your bike. I use the big NYC Kryptonite chain lock that goes through my rear wheel, frame, and whatever i'm locking to, and a smaller cable lock that's just big enough to lock the front wheel to the frame. it's been 5 months and I've had no problems. I also lock my seat to the frame.

good luck!

palincss
07-26-2007, 11:40 AM
I live in nyc, and I went and got these (i think they are the same thing . . the skewers with removable quick release levers, right?)

No, they seem to be completely different. Here's a link:
http://peterwhitecycles.com/pitlock.asp

Anyway, my experience with them was terrible. The wheels would not always stay straight in the drop outs after some hard riding or if I hit road imperfections too hard. I remember I was riding home from work one day, and no matter how hard I tightened the rear skewer, after a matter of about a block, the wheel would find it's way to rubbing the inside of the chain stay. I ended up carrying the bike home on my shoulder.

According to Peter White's site,Pitlock skewers make it very difficult for a thief to steal your wheels, seat post, even your threadless fork and brakes. Pitlock replaces your hub's quick release skewers, brake fixing bolts, 1 1/8" threadless headset top bolt and cap, seatpost fixing bolt, and even replaceable rear dropout bolts with special bolts that require a special stainless steel key or "Pit" wrench to open. The locking nuts can't be opened without one of 256 individually shaped "Pits".

So no, these don't sound even a little bit like the system you tried, and your bad experience would not be a reason to not consider these.

itsflantastic
07-26-2007, 11:58 AM
I've also seen guys go to the hardware store and get things that look like metal zip ties. . . to fasten the quick release in a closed position to the bike. that seems to work very well

itsflantastic
07-26-2007, 12:00 PM
That is the same system conceptually, just put out by a different company. I guess I didn't describe it too well. The one you are looking at looks a bit better.