PDA

View Full Version : Oversize VS Standard Bars

FierteTi52
06-26-2004, 06:01 PM
My Ottrott is due in the second week in July and all the components have been speced except for the bar and stem. I was able to convince my LBS to upgrade the bar to a carbon bar to close the deal. I'm either going with a FSA K Force Carbon Bar and their OS115 stem, or a newly designed Easton EC 90 Equipe and a Ritchey WCS stem. The FSA is oversize the Easton is available in a standard or oversize clamp. my two questions are:
How do you mount a computer with the OS?
Given the choice, should I use OS because the bar is carbon?
I'm 5'7" 170lbs.
Jeff

Peter
06-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Yes; if you choose a carbon bar you should go oversized. Carbon bars in "normal" diameter (26.0mm) flex more than their aluminum counterparts. Some flex is good, and aluminum bars have proven themselves through the decades for strength and a little bit of flex for shock absorption. But for a given diameter and wall thickness, carbon will flex more. So go oversized on the bar, but remember stiffer is not necessarily better.

Last I knew, Specialized was the only manufacturer who is marketing a computer to fit oversized bars. There IS an adapter device out that allows you to mount a standard diameter computer mount to oversized bars. It's basically a plastic hose clamp like piece that wraps around you stem extension and provides a little cylindrical nub to clamp your computer mount on. Ask your local bike shop to order them.

06-26-2004, 07:10 PM
A Polar mount fits onto 31.8 mm bars just fine. All the Ciclosport cyclometers fit just fine. I also tried a Cateye Cordless 7 recently and it fit as well. I actually haven't tried one yet that didn't fit OS bars although I'm sure they're out there.

As for choosing OS bars, I really like them. They're stiffer. The larger front mount of the stem may make it a bit stronger as well. The Ritchey WCS OS you have in mind is dynamite -- it seems to be every shop's number one recommendation and it's certainly mine. I've never had a glitch with them. As for OS bars, the Deda Newton bars are really good and available in shallow and deep drops, anatomic and classic bends, in a wide range of widths. There are plenty of other good ones as well. OS is becoming the new standard (like 1-1/8" headsets) and now shows up in MTB and elsewhere. Go for it.

va rider
06-26-2004, 07:28 PM
I have a new Cateye Astrale 8 and the clamp adjusts to fit OS bars. I have Deda Magic OS bars with a shallow drop. When you are pulling on the bars, they are definately stiffer. I feel like they allow me to leverage myself better, especially when climbing.

I have heard that the Ritchey OS bars are excellent.

vaxn8r
06-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Ciclos and Cateye cordless both mount without a problem.

The question with oversize is are you needing the extra stiffness? It may end up creating a harsher feeling front end which may cause more fatigue on the ride. Maybe they'll let you try a combo out and switch it if you don't like it.

Jeff N.
06-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Most computers these days come with clamps designed to fit either one. I've had bad luck with carbon bars/seatposts so I stay clear of them and stick with aluminum. Good luck. Jeff N.

zap
06-27-2004, 04:01 PM
Nothing wrong with 26.0 carbon or al bars. Plenty of strong sprinters us them. Some will flex more than others but several 26.0 carbon bars are very stiff. Easton, Zipp and Modolo come to mind.

Some circles believe oversized bars and stems to be nothing more than a marketing gimick.

Climb01742
06-27-2004, 04:07 PM
check out modolo curvissimo (sp?) bars. i have two now...fast becoming my favorite bar...except for their sinking price, they are awfully sweet.

BumbleBeeDave
06-27-2004, 04:28 PM
. . . has a mounting bracket available to fit oversize bars, but I’m not sure whther it is special order or not.

BBdave

Jeff N.
06-28-2004, 12:40 AM
This is my own personal thing, but stay clear of anything that says ZIPP on it. You can do better, and usually for far less denero! Jeff N.

Jeff N.
06-28-2004, 12:42 AM
. . . has a mounting bracket available to fit oversize bars, but I’m not sure whther it is special order or not.

BBdaveBoth sizes come with the kit, JN

duke
06-28-2004, 04:40 PM
The June issue of Cycling Plus profiles numerous bars, both standard and oversize. They also did a deflection test on quite a few. I'm not sure less deflection in a static test situation equals a stiffer bar, but it is food for thought.
Good Luck, duke.