PDA

View Full Version : Cycling with a stress fracture

SamIAm
07-25-2007, 11:24 AM
In training for a road race recently, I sustained a stress fracture mid shinbone. I don't really feel it unless I press on the area. I thought I would be fine to just stop running and continue cycling. When riding I do not notice any pain at all, but sometimes after a hard ride, during the night it really starts to hurt. If I get up and walk around and stretch a bit it subsides.

I don't really want to stop riding as it is my ony form of excercise at this point. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

thejen12
07-25-2007, 12:22 PM
I had a mid-shin stress fracture about a year and a half ago. I stopped running (even stopped most walking for a few months) and continued cycling. I didn't feel any pain when cycling, unless I was standing. I also didn't really feel any pain after cycling, unless I'd been walking. I iced daily, even when I didn't feel pain. (I got a shin compression wrap and put the ice pack under that - it held it on well, to make icing easier. I also wore the compression wrap when I knew much walking would be required during the day.) I probably wasn't really riding as hard as you are, so take that into account.

Good luck!

Jenn