the day after vino
25 july 2007

clean tour yeah yeah

Sandy
07-25-2007, 07:04 AM
Who?

Elefantino
07-25-2007, 07:17 AM
L'Equipe says someone tested positive for exogenous testosterone on the 11th stage from Marseille to Montpellier.

Grant McLean
07-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Cycling News Flash for July 25, 2007

Edited by Laura Weislo

New positive test leaked

One day after Alexandre Vinoukourov was said to have tested positive for a blood transfusion, news of another positive doping control has hit the Tour de France. L'Equipe reported Wednesday afternoon that one sample from stage 11 has tested positive for testosterone. The analysis to determine if the testosterone was of exogenous origin has already been completed, and the IRMS confirmed that the chemical came not from the rider's body but from a man-made source. The name of the rider is to be released at 15.00 CET.

The testing was performed at the Châtenay-Malabry laboratory - the same lab responsible for performing tests on Floyd Landis' 2006 Tour sample that showed a similar result. This result is the second positive of the Tour, and the third testosterone positive announced this month after Patrik Sinkewitz (T-Mobile) and Matthias Kessler (Astana). Stage 11 was won by Barloworld's Robert Hunter while Rabobank's Michael Rasmussen wore the yellow jersey. Both riders and four random riders would have been controlled after the stage.

Stay tuned for more information as the story develops.

Sandy
07-25-2007, 07:23 AM
While I have little doubt that doping exists at the Tour, why do they use the same lab which seems to always be under fire for how it has handled previous testing? Why not just use a different, totally independent lab, with unquestionable integrity and procedures? Wouldn't that be a wise thing to do?

Old but not so wise,

Dandy Sandy

William
07-25-2007, 07:37 AM
http://justdope.de/images/jdpodcast.jpg

stevep
07-25-2007, 07:40 AM
chicken man?

Elefantino
07-25-2007, 07:42 AM
If it's a rider that is on the road, do they yank him off with a striped cane?

Grant McLean
07-25-2007, 07:42 AM
While I have little doubt that doping exists at the Tour, why do they use the same lab which seems to always be under fire for how it has handled previous testing? Why not just use a different, totally independent lab, with unquestionable integrity and procedures? Wouldn't that be a wise thing to do?

Sandy,

I nominate you to handle it!

Sort of like running for president,
i'm not sure why anyone wants the job!

g

KJMUNC
07-25-2007, 07:53 AM
....or better yet, why leak the preliminary results to L'Equipe before the B-test is confirmed? When you're running only one test and announcing it to a skeptical public before absolutely confirming it's legit, you're bound to irrepairably damage the career of the rider involved.

Grant McLean
07-25-2007, 08:01 AM
....or better yet, why leak the preliminary results to L'Equipe before the B-test is confirmed? When you're running only one test and announcing it to a skeptical public before absolutely confirming it's legit, you're bound to irrepairably damage the career of the rider involved.

um, because there's a race going on?

When the b-test is postive, the rider will appeal, and the whole
process takes a year.

We still don't know who won the '06 tour...

g

Avispa
07-25-2007, 08:13 AM
Stage 11 was won by Barloworld's Robert Hunter while Rabobank's Michael Rasmussen wore the yellow jersey. Both riders and four random riders would have been controlled after the stage.

I still hear thunder around Rasmussen's name, ouch!

A.

bostondrunk
07-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Could also be one of the other Astana riders that have already left......who knows...

J.Greene
07-25-2007, 08:17 AM
I think it would be interesting if it is Rasmussen. To see how the tactics would change instantly on the road would just add to the drama.

JG

J.Greene
07-25-2007, 08:19 AM
When the b-test is postive, the rider will appeal, and the whole
process takes a year.
g

So true...but in this environment your guilty, and then if your proven innocent later your still guilty. I'm not in favor of that but it is the rule of the day atmo.

JG

jeffg
07-25-2007, 08:43 AM

Old but not so wise,

Dandy Sandy

the French do things their way, just like exploding nuclear devices under water in paradise when there is no need to do so. Changing the lab would be admitting there is a problem, no?

So, where is this big leaked announcement? Has anyone noticed only the UCI has refused to comment until the B sample comes out? Strangely professional of them ...

dauwhe
07-25-2007, 08:51 AM
I know there's been a lot of talk about corruption in the labs, and certainly many officials involved have been far from objective. But the continued flood of positive tests, confessions, and other evidence has made me less likely to believe riders who are protesting their innocence. And some riders who have protested loudest have later proved to be some of the worst offenders.

Dave

davids
07-25-2007, 09:07 AM
The announcement was supposed to be at 15:00 CET - Wasn't that an hour ago?

zeroking17
07-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Moreni.

deechee
07-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Cofidis is now gone ... hahah... how come T-Mobile never packed up?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19952446/

Grant McLean
07-25-2007, 04:29 PM
how come T-Mobile never packed up?

Because:

Sinkewitz gave a sample that revealed the presence of testosterone while at a team training camp in the Pyrenees on June 8, NOT during the Tour...

g

BBB
07-25-2007, 06:49 PM

Not only is the race going on, but the athlete in question gets advised that he or she has tested positive. While the result may have been leaked you will have read that it was the management of Astana who advised the TdF organisation of the positive result.