PDA

View Full Version : feel good post of the day

fierte_poser
07-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Today I had the privilege of going on a ride with a young friend of mine. It was his first road ride ever on his first road bike. He's 16 and was quite nervous about being able to keep up with Scott (yellow Bianchi) and myself. After the 11.5 mile ride, he said, "I expected it to be more intense, like the way they ride in the TdF." My response: "Son, there's a big difference between a race and a ride." ;)

Needless to say, my young friend had a great time and is already excited for the next ride. From my perspective, I think I was more excited for him than he was. I didn't start cycling until age 22 and I'm excited to think about all the rides he will get to enjoy between ages 16 and 22. What I wouldn't give to be 16 with a real road bike. :crap:

It was pure coincidence that this inaugural ride occurred on the same day that the Vinokourov positive test was revealed. (We planned the ride last night before the Vino news was out.) If we can all agree that Vino's story is 'what's wrong' with cycling, what I was lucky enough to experience tonight was 'what's right' with cycling.

Here's a pic we took before the ride. I hope it reminds you of 'what's right' with cycling too. :beer:

Best regards,
Kent

Sandy
07-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Great photo. Beat up on that 16 year old now. When he is 16 1/2, he may be beating up on you!! :)

Sandy

Louis
07-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Nice story.

Tell him that he'll go at least 2 mph faster without those reflectors. Or just look cooler... :cool:

fierte_poser
07-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Its a Trek. The reflectors are staying ON!

And this kids dad is quite an athlete. I'll beat up on him while I can, but it won't last long.

Too Tall
07-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Is the "kid" the one on the right or left?

Sandy
07-25-2007, 07:49 AM
To me, the one on the right and the one on the left are kids. The one in the middle is the baby. It is all a matter of perspective. :rolleyes:

Father Time

Avispa
07-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Hey Fierte...

This was a great post to read when I first visited the forum this morning. Great way to start the day.

Great photo. Beat up on that 16 year old now. When he is 16 1/2, he may be beating up on you!!

About what Sandy said... That's not true. I am now 47 and I beating 25 year olds (that do not ride smart). Maybe you don't have to abuse the kid too much, just don't tell him everything! ;)

Thanks for the post!

A.

Lifelover
07-25-2007, 08:07 AM
.... "I expected it to be more intense, like the way they ride in the TdF.".....

Don't underestimate the value of an intense ride for a young kid. I have found that to be the problem with my keeping my 14 y/o interested. He doesn't really just want to go for a ride. He wants some action.

Steelhead
07-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Very cool - looks like a happy kid. Now get those reflectors off so he can join in on group rides. :rolleyes: ;)

tbushnel
07-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Nice pic, great story. Need more of these. Yeah, I agree with Sandy. The tall one in the middle is just a baby (that would smoke me in a sprint I am sure). :)
Ted.

fierte_poser
07-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Let's see...

o The reflectors are staying on until the kid logs 400 miles. They should be viewed by other cyclists on the road as 'warning: novice rider. i might swerve or brake or do other things you don't expect.'

o Lifelover: I didn't say that our rides together won't be intense at some point... but not on night #1. As far as interest goes, like anything else, I won't be able to make him like it if he doesn't. All I can do is set him with the right equipment and show him how to ride properly. After that, its out of my hands. That's why he's rolling on an entry level Trek and not something more expensive. But... I have high hopes for his continued interest... his dad is not local so Scott and I are probably the top two of his positive male influences. Now that he can ride with us, I think he'll jump at the chance to spend more time with 'the guys'.

o The beatdown that wasn't: I'm 34 and I had a great start to the cycling season... great weather here on the Front Range led to me being in good shape heading into April. Then I got busy at work. Then I went to New Orleans with Habitat for Humanity for a week to help rebuild houses for Katrina victims. Then a girl I had been dating went to full on girlfriend status. Then I bought a new [to me] motorycle at the start of June (1999 Honda VFR800). Then I got *really* busy at work. So... long story long... I haven't ridden consistently since April. Needless to say, I'm wasn't exactly ready to hand the kid his @ss last night. We played around messing with Scott on the small climbs we encountered, and the kid stuck to my wheel nicely. He pedaled along with Scott on the flats (which is where I have trouble). Who knows? Maybe the kid is a natural? I won't know anything until I get in better shape and see if he can hang with me on some climbs... we're both 145 (I'm 5'9" and he's 6'1").

Cheers,
Kent

72gmc
07-25-2007, 11:25 AM
fierte_poser, great post. I first got into racing as a 16-year-old with (ironically enough) a lugged steel Trek 560. I think it's great that you guys are there for him to ride with; I did a lot of riding by myself those days. You can do this kid another huge favor by teaching him how to eat and hydrate while riding. My 16-year-old invincibility complex got me into the bonk a lot.

m_moses
07-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Nice post, Fierte . . . this is what cycling is about for me . . . having fun!

I don't see a problem with the reflectors. I'd want to be sure my kid will be seen if he's riding in the evening. They'll be off soon enough.

:beer:

Karin Kirk
07-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Lucky kid to have such nice role models!
Thanks for sharing the photo and nice story, and keep on having fun with him!

Stealth
07-25-2007, 04:07 PM
This took me back 33 years to when I was 16 and all of my great riding memories. Saved all my money and really upset my parents by spending what seemed like an outrageous amount on a Motobecane Grand Record. I had worn out my old bike and dreamed of this one. I still have it! Anyway, riding wasn't just a sport or hobby but a way of life. If you wanted to get somewhere you had to ride. Some really great memories of another time in a galaxy far far away! Thanks for the trip back. Hope he will be writing a note like this 33 years from now. I love cycling. It is still a way of life!

Bike Fett
07-25-2007, 08:38 PM
fierte_poser,
Since when did you start modeling for Assos and bringing along "Juicy juice" on your rides?

Fett

Fixed
07-25-2007, 08:43 PM
give him a couple of months and you guys will looking for his wheel .imho
cheers :beer:

Bud
07-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Nice post, Kent. I'll have to come up and ride with you guys and the kid someday. Keep him at it...