PDA

View Full Version : OT: Funny Names on Maps

itsflantastic
07-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Just looking over my map planning my route for my lil' ride to Maine.
I soon found myself laughing aloud.
There is a lake, in Massachusetts called

"Chargoggagoggmanchaugagoggchaubunagungamaug"

seriously. You can google it.

According to the Encyclopedia of New England, the word -- of Algonquin Indian origin -- roughly translates to "You fish on your side, I fish on my side, and nobody fish in the middle."

Anyone have any other good names? Buttzville comes to mind. . . :rolleyes:

torquer
07-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Its in New Jersey. Conjures up an image of a trembling cheesecake, about to blow. 8 on the Richter scale.

Fred D
07-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Don't forget Intercourse and Blueballs Pennsylvania.
There's also Flushing N.Y. and maybe Cammode N.J.
There is also a No. Ware N.H.

Fred D

William
07-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Drain, Oregon.

Joe, Montana

cpgardner
07-24-2007, 03:05 PM
If you're riding up to Maine, you might as well check out the Passagassawakeag River

itsflantastic
07-24-2007, 03:07 PM
If you're riding up to Maine, you might as well check out the Passagassawakeag River

yeah, well I don't want to start mocking Native American Languages. I can at least pronounce that one (I think!) :cool:

As for Joe Montana. . . that's pretty good. . .

skyflash
07-24-2007, 03:12 PM
How about -

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch, Wales

or

Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayuttha yamahadilokphopnop- paratrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharnamorn phimarnavatarnsathit- sakkattiyavisanukamprasit, Thailand

itsflantastic
07-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Wait. . . Those are real places?!?!?
I thought you were foolin'!!!

itsflantastic
07-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch means; "St. Mary's Church in the hollow of white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the red cave."

myette10
07-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Just looking over my map planning my route for my lil' ride to Maine.
I soon found myself laughing aloud.
There is a lake, in Massachusetts called

"Chargoggagoggmanchaugagoggchaubunagungamaug"

seriously. You can google it.

According to the Encyclopedia of New England, the word -- of Algonquin Indian origin -- roughly translates to "You fish on your side, I fish on my side, and nobody fish in the middle."

I work in Webster right across the street from that lake and most normal people just call it Webster lake. There aren't many normal people here though and some of the locals pride themselves on their ability to say the whole name in one breath... others argue about the exact pronounciation... lots of free time I guess.

I stumbled across a town in Northern Norway called "Hammerfest" a few months ago. Great name.

Serotta_James
07-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Durkeetown, NY always cracks me up a little. Especially because the entire town consists of one house.

manet
07-24-2007, 03:42 PM
dinky joe rd.
edmeston, ny

Kevan
07-24-2007, 03:53 PM
has its Succabone Rd.

Really nice neighborhood with mostly dirt roads.

BURCH
07-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Pennsylvania has some funny town names...

Mars, Pa
Moon, Pa

ti_boi
07-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Pennsylvania has some funny town names...

Mars, Pa
Moon, Pa

and Virginville, PA.

spiderlake
07-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Hell, Michigan
Bad Axe, Michigan
Colon, Michigan
Climax, Michigan

Just a few off the top of my head.

Bud_E
07-24-2007, 04:38 PM
The famous Zzyzx, California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zzyzx,_California)

MarleyMon
07-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Gnaw Bone, IN - good MTB trails there
Its just W of Stony Lonesome
SE of Beanblosssom

Ken Robb
07-24-2007, 04:59 PM
It's Blue BALL, PA. We used to joke that to get to Paradise, PA. from Lancaster you had to go through Intercourse, PA. and a wrong turn would get you to---you guessed it---Blue Ball. Lititz, PA. is nearby, not to mention Bird-in-Hand, PA.

Honest!

hybridbellbaske
07-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Iron Knob, South Australia

BumbleBeeDave
07-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Durkeetown, NY always cracks me up a little. Especially because the entire town consists of one house.

. . . I've ridden my bike through there. There is ALSO a church! :no:

BBD

Elefantino
07-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Big Bone Lick State Park, Kentucky.

Ken Robb
07-25-2007, 08:59 AM
French Lick, Indiana is slightly amusing.

JasonH
07-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Big Bone Lick State Park, Kentucky.

Not to mention Beaver Lick next door. I almost crashed when I rode by the Beaver Lick Baptist Church once on 42.

And of course, Rabbit Hash, KY. So named because of the dish of the same name served there.

dave thompson
07-25-2007, 09:53 AM
George, Washington, along with Queets and Humptulips.

Not everyone here can pronounce, let alone do the Puyallup.

jspa
07-25-2007, 10:06 AM
About twenty years ago some inspired graffiti artists changed the name of ONTARIO NY to BLOWFARTO on the town watertower. You could see it for miles. Still makes me snicker.

Spinner
07-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Long Dong Road in Shanghai several weeks ago, a street of dreamers.

Spinner
07-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Long Dong Road in Shanghai several weeks ago, a street of dreamers.

Vancouverdave
07-25-2007, 05:50 PM
I like the names in my own state of Washington--Hamma Hamma, Colonel Bob Wilderness, Napavine, Ryderwood, Sequim, and the confusable La Center and La Conner.

Birddog
07-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I like the names in my own state of Washington--Hamma Hamma, Colonel Bob Wilderness, Napavine, Ryderwood, Sequim, and the confusable La Center and La Conner.

You should have included Tum Tum and Walla Walla with Hamma Hamma, towns so nice, they named 'em twice, and the neat thing about Sequim is that it's pronounced Skwim. Oh, and one more, you forgot Humptulips!

Birddog

PS, I live in OK where we have Gotebo, Bugtussel, Bowlegs and Maude. BTW, you have to go through Bowlegs to get to Maude. Traveling through Arkansas you can't miss Toad Suck!

stevep
07-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch means; "St. Mary's Church in the hollow of white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the red cave."

been there. funny sign entering the town.
whoooa, what?
really?
thats it?
they need some vowels