PDA

View Full Version : TDF: CG by Team - why are some of those teams even there?

Louis
07-23-2007, 10:22 PM
The table is the current CG by team after Monday's stage.

I know that they are all supermen compared to us, but clearly compared to each other there are some huge discrepancies in the CG time. I assume that the Team time is just the sum of the fastest three guys on each team. If so, then FDJ's top three guys are on average each over 1 hr 45 minutes slower than the fastest teams. I guess they're there for the TV coverage, but it looks pretty sad to me.

dauwhe
07-24-2007, 06:49 AM
I don't think team GC means much. Barloworld is towards the bottom of the list, but Robbie Hunter and Mauricio Soler have both won stages and Soler could win the KOM. And the big time gaps are in the mountain stages, so if your team doesn't have three very good climbers who can stay ahead of the autobus, you're in trouble.

Dave

stevep
07-24-2007, 07:19 AM
team gc is usually for teams that have no one near the top on individual gc.
if you have the leader the last teammates have to give it up for the leader and then basicly stop pedaling to save anything they have for the next stage.

its often the sign of a team with nothing going on in the race when the top 3 guys finish toward the front..theres no one giving it up for the leader..or its simply a team of climbers only.

tch
07-24-2007, 07:46 AM
team gc is usually for teams that have no one near the top on individual gc. Its often the sign of a team with nothing going on in the race when the top 3 guys finish toward the front..theres no one giving it up for the leader..or its simply a team of climbers only.
Like Astana, Discovery, Rabobank, and Predictor-Lotto?

stevep
07-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Like Astana, Discovery, Rabobank, and Predictor-Lotto?

yeah,
but these are the strongest teams by far overall.. they almost have to be up there by accident even.
astana has 3 co-leaders now...re: no leader, no gc contender
disco has 2 1/2 co - leaders... no leader ...mebbe now contador but they had 3 guys on the table w/ no clear leader...kept them all up there at least until the last climb.
rabo is not at or near the top of team gc..but boogard has been a horse for them
lotto "

essentially i mean that team gc is rarely or never a goal going in.
it becomes one due to the failure of the top guy to perform or because of leader uncertainty and the need to keep more than one guy near the front.