PDA

View Full Version : Verbally accosted while riding home

znfdl
07-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Verbally accosted while riding home. One of my teamates and I were riding home and chatting. We are going over the route 7 bridge on the W&OD trail just outside of DC and come upon an ipod wearing power walker, and I say power walker because her arms were flailing from side to side. I said passing on your left four times and finally yelled ipod and finally got the power walkers attention and she started to cuss me out.

I asked her if she had a bad day and needed a hug, but she only continued with her verbal assault. Go figure.

She did give us a good laugh.

Jeff Weir
07-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Last week I has on my first ride with my brand spankin new sachs, and some loser drives by and asks if I have a "richard" stuck up my a_ _.

I figured he must have some problem with richard sachs, so I laughed it off.

H's probably at the end of the waiting list....

Bill Bove
07-23-2007, 08:46 PM
She should be thankful you weren't a mugger, or worse. I can't believe how people will go out into a dangerous world and purposely allow themselves to be so distracted.

jnmanou
07-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Fellow riders,

I've been "told off" for not moving over when I've been walking. But I'm deaf and the riders doing the yelling have no clue that I simply can't hear. Rather than give me the benefit of the doubt that I couldn't hear, they assume that I'm being arrogant.

The woman walking probably wasn't hearing impaired, but was probably scared out of her wits when "ipod" was yelled out, hence the verbal outbursts. Could you guys have ridden around her? I wasn't there so I'm just asking.

James Manou (Menlo Park, Calif.)

dbrk
07-23-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm pretty sure I was told off yesterday but I wasn't paying enough attention to really catch what was said. I was on a rural road and a guy in a car coming in the other direction yelled something...uhh...disobliging. I was in the proper lane, all the way over on the side, about as far away from the fella' as I could be. You think he didn't like my pink Goodrich?

dbrk

Kevan
07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I was told off yesterday but I wasn't paying enough attention to really catch what was said. I was on a rural road and a guy in a car coming in the other direction yelled something...uhh...disobliging. I was in the proper lane, all the way over on the side, about as far away from the fella' as I could be. You think he didn't like my pink Goodrich?

dbrk

a car window opens, arms are flailing inside the dark interior in apparent exasperation and something is be screamed at either me or the group and I haven't the foggest idea what is being said. I wave back in return with a smile.

Then there's the times that really frosts me....

We are traveling some really back road with nearly zero traffic and some knucklehead sticks their head out and pleads, "Come on boys...single file! as if it's a major road."

For cripesake... does it kill these people to pass us?

BumbleBeeDave
07-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Fellow riders,

I've been "told off" for not moving over when I've been walking. But I'm deaf and the riders doing the yelling have no clue that I simply can't hear. Rather than give me the benefit of the doubt that I couldn't hear, they assume that I'm being arrogant.

The woman walking probably wasn't hearing impaired, but was probably scared out of her wits when "ipod" was yelled out, hence the verbal outbursts. Could you guys have ridden around her? I wasn't there so I'm just asking.

James Manou (Menlo Park, Calif.)

. . . znfdl SAID she was wearing an iPod! I have the same problem on the bike trail near here fairly regularly when I ride over there. Headphone-wearing walkers/skaters/bikers cruising down the middle of the lane totally oblivious. Happened again last week . . . evening ride, came up on fairly good looking woman flailing along on her inline skates taking up the whole width of the pavement. I usually call out "coming up behind you" a hundred feet or so before I get to them, then say "passing left" just before I actually do the deed. I announced myself four times for this one, then cruised along behind her for almost a minute saying, "Hello? Hell-O!" right behind her. No response. I finally just yelled, "HEY!" and she jumped a foot, then glared at me as I rode past.

If I was a robber/molester/rapist she would have been dead meat. Totally absolutely oblivious. I try to be courteous, but exactly how far backwards am I supposed to bend over backwards to accommodate these people who just don't have a clue?

BBD

ThasFACE
07-23-2007, 09:59 PM
We are going over the route 7 bridge on the W&OD trail just outside of DC

Ah, the W&OD. I can't tell you how many afternoons I spent on that thing as a youngin' with my friends. Riding bikes, going to 7-11s, good times.

Fixed
07-23-2007, 10:07 PM
bro i bet it was a great ride today there is always a nut out just forget it and remember you and your bros fun .... imho

cheers
i was in d.c. a couple of weeks back many many more cyclist than here . you are lucky bro to have such a great place to ride inho :beer:

Fixed
07-23-2007, 10:11 PM
sorry wrong place :beer:

d_douglas
07-24-2007, 02:18 AM
My sweet lady came home crying from the pool - some idiiot in an Audi blazing at about 80km in a busy pedestrian area came within 30cm of taking her out. She said she would have been dead, guaranteed.

Her consolation was that the driver and his passenger were so freaked out that they said nothing and just slowly drove away. Nevertheless, they would have won the battle if there had been contact.

Sandy
07-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Verbally accosted while riding home. One of my teamates and I were riding home and chatting. We are going over the route 7 bridge on the W&OD trail just outside of DC and come upon an ipod wearing power walker, and I say power walker because her arms were flailing from side to side. I said passing on your left four times and finally yelled ipod and finally got the power walkers attention and she started to cuss me out.

I asked her if she had a bad day and needed a hug, but she only continued with her verbal assault. Go figure.

She did give us a good laugh.

How can I put this to you in a gentle, warm, kind, sensitive, and caring manner?? The real problem occured when you asked her if she needed a hug....That thought probably really scared her..... :) :)

Sandy

Tom
07-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Eyeball the participants.

If they're holding their line and seem competent, slow down and pick a spot to go by without saying a word first. That keeps them settled. Pick a spot with a bail out if necessary. Acknowledge them with a quiet greeting after you're in their sight. They stay happy.

If they are not holding their line or do not seem competent, slow the hell down, near stop if necessary. When you are right behind them, tell them quietly which side you are going to pass them on. Don't startle them, they will jump around if you do. Don't start shrieking at them from a distance, they grow confused. When they move aside, thank them and go on your way.

If they are wearing headphones and can't hear you, quiet is relative. In any case be polite, do not be sarcastic. Mutter under your breath after you are out of their earshot if they are an idiot. If they are an idiot, one encounter with you is not going to fix it. It has become ingrained.

Remember two things. In theory you are the one that knows what they are doing. The bike path is not the place where you maintain pace, the road is.

The Word of the Rat.

OldDog
07-24-2007, 07:13 AM
You city folk who ride bikepaths are too nice of guys....me, I'd rig up a 12 volt battery on my rack hooked up to a truck air horn, come up within 3 feet and blast 'em. Then, ask them (she) if they needed a hug.

:D

William
07-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Basic rules for greeting a strange iPod walker:

--Never pet an iPod walker without asking the owner if it’s OK

--Curl fingers, let the walker smell the back of your hand

--Never ride up behind an iPod walker and yell

--Never tease an iPod walker

--Don’t go after their food or toys

What are the warning signs of an aggressive iPod walker?

--Hair on neck raised (hackles)

--Raised lip, the more teeth the more aggression

--Raised tail

--Snarling and barking with growl

--Lunging with flailing arms

What should you do if you come across
an aggressive iPod walker?

--No fast jerky motions

--Act unconcerned

--Don’t stare in their eyes

--Place object between you and iPod walker (i.e. bicycle)

--Hop on car hood or tree

--Feed your jacket or books to the iPod walker if he tries to bite

--If all else fails, lay face down on ground, cover head with hands, stay still, this is a non-threatening position from the iPod walkers point of view

Just say'in.

William

Sandy
07-24-2007, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=William]Basic rules for greeting a strange iPod walker:

--Raised tail

--No fast jerky motions

--Act unconcerned

--If all else fails, lay face down on ground, cover head with hands, stay still, this is a non-threatening position from the iPod walkers point of view

William- That iPOD walker that just made you " lay face down on ground,cover head with hands, stay still,...." was a 4.5 pound chihuahua. You really are a big wimp aren't you? :) :) :) :)

victoryfactory
07-24-2007, 07:28 AM
People who use I-pods while running, skating, riding etc on the public roads
are selfish and stupid!
They have bought into an image that the manufacturers of those devices
have invented, namely that it's ok to be tuned out to your surroundings.
But it's NOT ok. It's dangerous.
I'm sure the I-pod (and remember the walkman?) people don't care, but I have
to wonder if I was a "earplug person", how many encounters like the one
mentioned above would I need to realize that it is unsafe?
What really burns me is that people seem to feel they have a right to
act in this way, as if the very existence of that technology gives them the
permission.
I'll bet that the deaf gentleman who posted above can tell us a little about
how careful and alert he needs to be on a daily basis to keep safe.
Why would anyone choose to put themselves in that situation by the
misuse of technology?

Humbug!
Rant over.
VF

Too Tall
07-24-2007, 07:35 AM
It is a tough sell however success is coming in dribs and drabs. I joined the local running org. as a "give back" to help them with nutrition, coaching etc. and was pleasantly surprised to hear and see in most recent newsletter their policy / support for "run aware". A few members quit over this maybe your new friend is one? http://www.mcrrc.org/health/runaware.php

PS - Look for a fog horn under the channuka bush this yr. ;)

William
07-24-2007, 07:42 AM
William- That iPOD walker that just made you " lay face down on ground,cover head with hands, stay still,...." was a 4.5 pound chihuahua. You really are a big wimp aren't you? :) :) :) :)

HEY! THERE WERE TWO OF THEM....EXTREMELY....VICIOUS....<sob>

deechee
07-24-2007, 08:21 AM
I'll give you the reverse. A few weeks back my gf and I were running on the bike path near our house. We run in the opposite direction of traffic. No other bikes on the path, and suddenly an old ugly woman passes us on her bike and yells "Get OFF the path!". My gf snaps back "Wear a helmet!". (old lady wasn't)

An elderly man who was walking nearby erupted in laughter and I had to as well. The old bag on the bike didn't turn back and disappeared. Weird thing is I've seen this old lady yell at other people too. A lot of crazy people out there.

MarleyMon
07-24-2007, 08:37 AM
The rec. trails here are marked - Bikes yield to skaters, peds & horses.

I know what I am in for & don't pretend they are "Bike paths"
Sure it can be annoying, but not as much as riding in traffic.
Idiots, (i.e. those who recreate in a manner that impedes me)
are, like it or not, my fellow citizens. But I do hate when they let
their dogs wander all over the path!

TimD
07-24-2007, 08:37 AM

Nice job. Do your friends address you as "Manet" ? LOL

rpm
07-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Eyeball the participants.

If they're holding their line and seem competent, slow down and pick a spot to go by without saying a word first. That keeps them settled. Pick a spot with a bail out if necessary. Acknowledge them with a quiet greeting after you're in their sight. They stay happy.

If they are not holding their line or do not seem competent, slow the hell down, near stop if necessary. When you are right behind them, tell them quietly which side you are going to pass them on. Don't startle them, they will jump around if you do. Don't start shrieking at them from a distance, they grow confused. When they move aside, thank them and go on your way.

If they are wearing headphones and can't hear you, quiet is relative. In any case be polite, do not be sarcastic. Mutter under your breath after you are out of their earshot if they are an idiot. If they are an idiot, one encounter with you is not going to fix it. It has become ingrained.

Remember two things. In theory you are the one that knows what they are doing. The bike path is not the place where you maintain pace, the road is.

The Word of the Rat.

+1 This is exactly what I do. So often, saying anything freaks people out and they jump, so if it's not necessary, I just glide by. When I do come up on people blocking the path, I usually, say "Hi folks, I'd like to get by" and let them choose which way they want to move. I don't like riders who literally snarl, "On your left!" and blow by at high speed.

Once in awhile I'll take my albatross-barred 650b for a cruise on the paths around the Minneapolis lakes. Inevitably, I get the "On your left" snarl from some fat guy on a Madone who thinks he's Lance of the Path. What I'll usually do is just spin up and sit on the guy's wheel to freak him a bit before he accosts another skater or slow rider.

jhcakilmer
07-24-2007, 10:05 AM
I consider myself a low key guy, and the only time I've every been close to putting some smack down has been while riding my bike. What is it about drivers that makes them so hostile. I ride most of my miles on rural roads without any traffic, so it's not like there's traffic creating extra stress.

One time, while out by myself some teenages came very close to hitting me, so I caught up to them at a stop sign, and broke off there side view mirror.....I know probably not the best thing, but seemed right at the time. Musgrave might of been with me, but I don't think so.

Also one other time, was about to go toe to toe with a red-neck driving a beat up truck, but then I saw the gun rack, and decided it might not be a favorable outcome..... :D

sspielman
07-24-2007, 10:46 AM

...It took me a minute before I noticed the dogs.....

Sandy
07-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I consider myself a low key guy, and the only time I've every been close to putting some smack down has been while riding my bike. What is it about drivers that makes them so hostile. I ride most of my miles on rural roads without any traffic, so it's not like there's traffic creating extra stress.

One time, while out by myself some teenages came very close to hitting me, so I caught up to them at a stop sign, and broke off there side view mirror.....I know probably not the best thing, but seemed right at the time. Musgrave might of been with me, but I don't think so.

Also one other time, was about to go toe to toe with a red-neck driving a beat up truck, but then I saw the gun rack, and decided it might not be a favorable outcome..... :D

Wise decision!!

:banana: Shotgun Sandy :banana:

WickedWheels
07-24-2007, 11:13 AM
There's a simple solution the the ipod problem... a small squirt gun in your jersey pocket.

Too Tall
07-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Anywho ZNFNDL...aren't you glad your stalker is gone?

michael white
07-24-2007, 01:12 PM

so what's the rule here? don't stare into their eyes? no jerky motions?

Serotta PETE
07-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Sandy, thanks for the laugh today....miss your smiling face and BAILEY misses your bagel.

YOUR FRIEND PETE (aka IPOD wearer)

[QUOTE=William]Basic rules for greeting a strange iPod walker:

--Raised tail

--No fast jerky motions

--Act unconcerned

djg
07-24-2007, 03:55 PM
People who use I-pods while running, skating, riding etc on the public roads
are selfish and stupid!
They have bought into an image that the manufacturers of those devices
have invented, namely that it's ok to be tuned out to your surroundings.
But it's NOT ok. It's dangerous....

Rant on. I blame cell phones -- the "gateway" consumer electronics for this sort of thing.

Fixed
07-24-2007, 05:22 PM
bro i thought i was sensitive it just words i get that daily as long as they don't touch me we are good imho
cheers