PDA

View Full Version : Make-a-Wish ride.

fhernandez1960
07-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks to all suggestions on an early post of "How to prepare for the Kanc?".

On Friday a group of 11 riders and a support truck rode our bikes to help raise funds for the Mass Chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation to grant two special kids their wishes. Our team is now 10 years old and has raised more than $175k and granted 40 wishes to children who are battling with serious illness.

You gals and guys gave me great advise on how to approach the ride from training to nutrition and first hand knowledge for riding the 12 mile strech known as the "Kanc".

We rode Friday-Sunday covering over 300 miles and beautiful towns in New Hampshire, Maine and the coastline from Saco, Ogunquit to Rye.

The Kanc was very doable even after doing 116 miles the prior day. Maybe because I took it easy on the first 10 miles and the last two after the hairpin turn, I just kept rolling with good tempo.

The bad thing... I crashed badly on the second day doing 20 mph on a paceline. I think fatigue and lack of concentration got the best of me as I touched the back wheel of one of my friends. I got banged up bad with plenty of road rash, a bruised back but no broken bones. The next 20 miles were tough with muscle spasms and pain but the Advil kicked in and it was tolerable. The Fierte was fine as it landed on top of me. Priorities!

I was lucky but also felt terrible as my lack of concentration could have gotten others hurt. I am grateful that I was the only one that fell.

The best thing was the two kids that we are sponsoring this year were at the finish line to wait for us. A very special time.

Thanks to everyone for the advise!.

Francis.