PDA

View Full Version : 1" fork threaded/threadless?

deechee
07-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Ok, I found an old thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=23476) about this so I'll rephrase the question to better suit me.

While I wait to find out the rake of the fork on the 48cm Cervelo Prodigy I have, what forks are good for a ~3cm spacer height? I see Reynolds only recommends 2.5 for 1", 4cm for AlphaQ, Ritchey? (can't find info) Aluminum steerer vs. carbon?

For threaded forks, how do I measure the steerer tube height I need?

dbrk
07-23-2007, 09:53 AM
The loss of stack height with a threadless steerer is sometimes compensated in the overall design of the bike. So long as you don't go up and down much or are satisfied to ride with more limited bar/saddle drop options, then it makes little difference. Some will point out the mechanical advantages of threadless or that you should go with the market/availablity etc., but there are plenty of threaded options still available and the bits you will need to keep them operational. The aesthetic of riser stems and spacers doesn't suit me personally but everyone likes what they like (and why not?). So, though I am likely in the minority here, I would say that threaded is still a viable option, not one to worry about, and that if you like it, you should go with it. The putative advantages of threadless don't mitigate my view even on the most practical grounds. Some of my nicest bikes---Sachs, Rivendell, Mariposa, Singer, Cooper, Pegoretti---have threaded steerers and all are relatively new, built in the threadles-dominated era. YMMV.

dbrk

barry1021
07-23-2007, 10:29 AM
+1 what dbrk says

b21

rePhil
07-23-2007, 11:52 AM
dbrk is right, we like what we like. I switched from all quill steel threaded forks, to all threadless carbon.
For some reason I was hard on headsets. I could get a few years on them but that was it. Campy, Shimano, it didn't matter. I switched to CK and all was better, except that threaded are more finicky to adjust, not to mention the time spent greasing the ones that needed maintenance
Give me an Ouzo with a CK threadless anyday. Hook that to Ritchey Bars and 84 degree stem and I am happy.
Not positive but I thought Reynolds says it's ok to go a wee bit taller with an aluminum steerer.

Dekonick
07-23-2007, 01:31 PM
If you go threadless 1", email Serotta and reserve a 1" Heads-up. and have your LBS press it into your frame. Looks nice, and should help your height worries.

deechee
07-23-2007, 02:14 PM
doh. completely forgot about that heads-up thread. Thanks! Just sent Serotta Andrew an email...