PDA

View Full Version : Cleat alignment and cycling orthotics in New England?

dauwhe
07-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Anybody have recommendations for someone to look at my cleat and foot alignment in New England? My knee is acting up again, and PBP is four weeks from today. My right foot points out when I ride, and it feels like my forefoot is rather unstable side-to-side. I think shimming the cleat and/or a custom orthotic might help, but I don't know who to see. I've heard great things about Bill Peterson in Rhode Island, but rumor is that he moved west. Any other ideas? I know Fitwerx does custom cycling orthotics--is that my best bet?

Thanks...

Dave

92degrees
07-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Have you checked with the Fit to Ride/Incline Training guys in Greenfield?

benb
07-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Boston Pedorthic did a great job for me.. they do the orthotics but not the cleats.. but my cleats have been pretty dead simple when I have working orthotics.. a lot of my toe pointing and other issues is solved by the orthotics and then my cleats just get set straight & relatively centered.

4 Weeks you might be pushing your luck if they are busy. They might be in a quiet moment since there are no marathons, etc.. approaching though.

Boston Pedorthic (http://www.bostonpedorthic.com/)

They will make you sit for a scan of your feet with a computer & a mold.. then it will take a week or two to finish the orthotics depending on how busy they are.. then you would have to sit for a 2nd appointent for final adjustment where you would go out and spin around a bit and then tell them if anything is not quite right. (I had them drop my heel at the finishing appointment for example) That's why I would say it's questionable.

They might also tell you your shoes are wrong which will make it even more difficult to get it done in 4 weeks. They don't sell cycling shoes there either, though they might be able to give you a guideline of what to buy.

The good thing is I expect there orthotics to last me a very long time as they're made out of a pretty hard material.

Ti Designs
07-23-2007, 08:49 AM
If all else fails, there's this little shop in Belmont MA tucked away in a corner of Waverley square. It doesn't have a fit studio with a bar and mood lighting, nor do they do custom cycling orthotics, but they just might know a thing or two about knees and feet and ankles. I personally own two of each! (hey, if having a dozen custom bikes makes you an expert on custom bikes, having two knees for over 40 years should mean something, right???)

BarryG
07-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Dave, you're actually closer to Albany than Boston. If you'd consider heading this way, Garrick Dardani at Steiner's Sports in Glenmont can get you sorted out. Very reasonably priced orthotics, spends lotsa time with you - highly recommended.

RABikes2
07-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Crud Dave, I hope you find relief! I started another thread because of particular cleat/knee issues I'm dealing with, too. I didn't want to hijack your thread. Are we falling apart? :confused:
RA