PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Record Carbon Crankset

Jeff N.
06-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Is everyone out there in Serottaland happy with this crankset? (Those who own it, of course)...ya think its worth the bucks? Jeff N.

Kevin
06-25-2004, 01:33 PM
I have the 2002 and 2003 Record carbon crank. The 2002 and 2003 versions have proven themselves to be fine components. But then again with the limited power generated by this gray haired father, a beer can would be stiff enough. As far as whether it is worth the price, its really a question of asthetics. If you like the look, its worth it. If you don't, its not. Obviously, I like the look.

Kevin

zap
06-25-2004, 04:18 PM
I like my '04 Record Carbon crank. New for '04 is a special surface treatment on the chainrings to further improve front shifting.

Is it worth it? Well ummmm, I didn't want FSA, had Record everything else and wanted lighter weight, so yes it was worth it :)

BTW I use PW magti bb and SRP ti crank bolts with the Record carbon crank.

gt6267a
06-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Jeff N. -- from some of your posts on other threads, I thought you were a DA 10 convert? i.e. you rode Record but have decided the new DA is better. I am wondering why you are not going with Shimano? Or, do I have you confused with someone else?

-k

Jeff N.
06-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Jeff N. -- from some of your posts on other threads, I thought you were a DA 10 convert? i.e. you rode Record but have decided the new DA is better. I am wondering why you are not going with Shimano? Or, do I have you confused with someone else?

-kI ride both. I PREFER Dura Ace, but have two other machines with Record...I got an excellent opportunity to buy an '04 Record crank, and just wanted to be sure I wasn't making an expensive mistake. Jeff N.

Scott
06-25-2004, 08:35 PM
I converted to Record from DA a few months ago. I originally went with the alloy but broke down a few days later, returned the alloy to Performance and got the carbon. Does it make a performance difference? I doubt it. I can't believe that it makes me faster. But it looks GREAT and works flawlessly. It really sets off my Onyx Concours and complements the other black components. Also, one of the reasons I bought it was a good deal. This store on e-bay sells them for $524. I also bought my Record Pro Fit pedals from this guy. Excellent service. Lightening fast shipping and real pleasure to deal with. An added plus is that he's a true cyclist.

http://stores.ebay.com/Professional-Cycling-Discount

saab2000
06-25-2004, 10:18 PM
......both Record aluminum cranks and a 2004 carbon. I cannot tell ANY difference at all. Not that I expected to either.

Yeah, it guess it looks sort of cool now that we are leaving the "metal era" and entering the carbon era, but I frankly prefer the metal cranks.

Just my $.02

Jeff N.
06-26-2004, 03:22 AM
I converted to Record from DA a few months ago. I originally went with the alloy but broke down a few days later, returned the alloy to Performance and got the carbon. Does it make a performance difference? I doubt it. I can't believe that it makes me faster. But it looks GREAT and works flawlessly. It really sets off my Onyx Concours and complements the other black components. Also, one of the reasons I bought it was a good deal. This store on e-bay sells them for $524. I also bought my Record Pro Fit pedals from this guy. Excellent service. Lightening fast shipping and real pleasure to deal with. An added plus is that he's a true cyclist.

http://stores.ebay.com/Professional-Cycling-DiscountThanks for the tip on the store. Man! Excellent prices! Jeff N.

Jeff N.
06-30-2004, 09:19 PM
So I got the '04 Campy Carbon crankset, and although it works perfectly, the drive side crankarm is closer to the right chainstay than the left crankarm is to the left chainstay as they pass. They were perfectly equal with the Campy Record aluminum it replaced. Jeez, why does crap like this always happen to me? I mean, its no big deal, I guess, but it bugs the hell outa me! BOTH SIDES SHOULD BE EQUAL! Campy......Jeeeez. Jeff N.