PDA

View Full Version : Observations on saddle bags and tubulars.....

Longdaddy
07-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Just want to generate a little discussion-
Back in the day (the 80's...cue "Thompson Twins" and "The Cure" backround music) while exploring the back roads of Bloomington, Indiana, skipping class and dreaming I was Dave Stoler, I rode tubulars. Not Dugast's, but those cheep, $20 Panaracer/Vittoria/Clements. They rode great and I felt like a "Pro".
Most guys I knew carried their spare under the seat with a toe strap. I had this cool saddle bag from Cannondale that was long yet slender that held mine. Now the trend seems to be to stuff everything in your back pocket!
Currently I use a small saddle bag (Jannd) to hold a tube, small pump, tool.

I say this as I contemplate my big return to tubulars on a regular basis.
What are your ideas on carrying your spares? Bag, strap? Or do you use Tufo sealent, for example, and just wing it?

Just as important, you gotta look cool.

MikeW55
07-22-2007, 09:25 AM
This is my routine-I buy a couple of tires when I see a good price (Conti Sprinters), and I store them on blank rims. I put on two coats of glue (3M Fast Tack Trim Adhesive), fold the tire, put it in a zip-loc bag. Jandd makes a bag which is a little oblong and will fit the tire. The pre-glued spare will hold fine for the ride home. On longer rides I also carry a second pre-glued spare in a zip-loc in my middle jersey pocket. Thats only because no one else in my group rides tubulars, and I get a second flat. (You can usually borrow a second tube).

djg
07-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Once upon a time I was young. And I knew people who were cool.

Now, 46, pushing 47, and even if I still care some what some things look like, I've given up on looking cool. I've got a rolled up spare tubular under my saddle on my fixed gear bike -- it's held there by a length of nylon webbing that has velcro on it. On my road bike, I've got a Jandd saddle bag that holds a tubular tire, patch kit, and mini tool. It's a nice bag -- fairly narrow so it's out of the way, and keeps everything clean. There's a plain Jandd one and one sold by bike tires direct with their logo on it (I have one of each and can't really remember which one is actually on the bike).

tbushnel
07-22-2007, 02:07 PM
question for you - is the "patch kit" to help out someone using clinchers or do you do roadside tubular repair?
Just wondering.
Cheers,
Ted.