PDA

View Full Version : Two good things per recent threads

Ray
07-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Between moving and a very minor health issue, I haven't been doing much riding for the past couple of months, but have done a lot of short errand runs and just in the last week managed to get out for a couple of "rides" - nothing major, but at this point 30-40 miles feels really good. Anyway, a chance to try out two new acquisitions that have recently been discussed here.

First, the Chrome Metropolis. I've been using what was the biggest Timbuk2 messenger bag for almost 10 years and had been happy with it. Based on some of the discussion, decided to buy myself a new one for the new house and ordered a chrome. My first impression was MY GOD THING THING IS FRIGGIN' HUGE! It looks like aobut twice the volume of the timbuk2 and it's not the largest Chrome model. It was also semi-complicated to figure out all of the straps and buckles, but that took all of about two minutes. But my first ride with stuff on board told the story - this bag rocks! I never had any problems with the timbuk2, but the Chrome distributes the load on your back in a much more balanced and comfortable way, the buckles and straps make adjustments a snap, and the bag feels very secure - no sway back there at all. I've been doing lots of errands with this bag and am totally smitten, for a mere bag.

Second, the Garmin Edge 205. At once, the most complicated and simplest bike computer I've ever tried. There's a lot more technology at work here than in a standard bike computer, but it really gets out of the way. One computer, mounts on three bikes, no sensors or wires, and I'm good to go. I can have it tell me as much or as little as I want. My standard configuration just shows time, current speed, and trip odometer - allows me to ditch the watch and follow a cue-sheet and that's about it. But every now and then if I want to chase myself around with the average speed showing, it takes no time to change the display. Or to show your direction, or current grade (although it sucks at this), or max speed, or a host of other pieces of information I may or may not ever want. I generally don't want average speed easily available on a ride because I subconsciously ride to please it, which doesn't please me. With the edge, the data is always buried in there somewhere, but I don't have to be able to see it. If I want to check after the ride (which happens occasionally), it's very easy to go find it in the bowels of the unit. I find this to be incredibly cool, easy, and useful. I also look forward to someday playing with the software and mapping out some of my rides when I check out some new roads I like - nice to know where I was. All in all, the best computer I've ever tried, for my particular needs and wants.

It's cool when equipment meets or exceeds your hopes and expectations. Doesn't happen often, but it did in both of these cases.

-Ray

onekgguy
07-21-2007, 05:34 PM
snip...or current grade (although it sucks at this), or max speed, or a host of other pieces of information I may or may not ever want.

-Ray

Ray,

My Edge 305 had some grade issues when I first got it but late last summer they came out with an update which fixed the problem. I find it very stable and accurate now. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the 205 and the 305 in this regard.

Kevin g

Ray
07-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Ray,

My Edge 305 had some grade issues when I first got it but late last summer they came out with an update which fixed the problem. I find it very stable and accurate now. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the 205 and the 305 in this regard.

Kevin g
The 305 uses barometric elevation - the 205 just uses GPS elevation. I don't know how accurate either of them are, but barometric is supposed to be better. The 205 got a lot of hills in my area right, but it got enough of them so incredibly wrong that I figured it was useless on balance. Like showing a descent while I was climbing a 6-8% grade, showing a 20% grade when I was in the big ring on about a 4% or so hill. Not a huge issue for me, and I didn't have any desire for the cadence or heart rate, so I went with the 205.

-Ray

Fixed
07-21-2007, 06:52 PM
cool bro nice choice with the mess bag imho
cheers

onekgguy
07-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Ray,

If I'm not mistaken the 305 uses a combination of GPS data and barometric information to give elevation and grade data. I do know that it can take a little while to sync the two. I've never had anything near the crazy readings you've experienced wrt grade.

The customizable data fields can't be beat!

Kevin g

Ray
07-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Ray,

If I'm not mistaken the 305 uses a combination of GPS data and barometric information to give elevation and grade data. I do know that it can take a little while to sync the two. I've never had anything near the crazy readings you've experienced wrt grade.

The customizable data fields can't be beat!

Kevin g
If the grade had been a big deal, I'd have gotten the 305 and just done without the heart rate and cadence. But it's generally no more than a curiosity (and usually just an excuse for why I'm so slow, which I don't need an excuse for anymore :), so no biggie. But, yeah, the TOTALLY customizable data fields, where they go on the display, their size, etc, is really nice for showing just exactly what you want and nothing else.

-Ray

Ray
08-03-2007, 06:14 AM
I finally installed the software for the Edge 205 so I can upload and map my rides. 90% of the data leaves me cold and I don't mess with it. But its about a two click operation to map any rides I've done on Google Earth (or just about anywhere else, for that matter). And, I'm sorry, but that's just slick as greased *****. I've had some issues that have kept me off the bike a lot this summer, so my recent rides have been pretty short and familiar and the mapping is more for the novelty than anything else. But once I get back to taking those longer rides and going out and getting good and lost, the ability to plop this sucker down by the computer and immediately SEE where I've been is gonna be cool. Some tech leaves me cold, but I'm a sucker for some of it and this little doodad works for me.

-Ray