PDA

View Full Version : Wheel question- Ksyrium SL or X-Lite?

fierte58
07-21-2007, 07:52 AM
So, one of my LBS's has a pair of X-Lites in a really cool silvery colour for A$1,000. I can get a set of Ksyrium SL's for about A$1,100 from another LBS.

The X-Lites came new on a bike but were exchanged by a customer who went for something carbon. I think are an 07 model, but I could be wrong about this.

From what I can gather throught searching the Forum some people really like their X-Lites but there were warranty issues with early models, and some mumbling about them not being great for riders over 80kg. On the other hand, some 200lb riders thought they held up great.

I have some old Ksyrium Elites, and some old Open Pros with Daytona hubs and don't seem to have many problems with wheels going out of true- despite being a bit over 200lbs myself.

I am going to be training for a big hilly ride next January so lots of hills are on the agenda. Comments?

KJMUNC
07-21-2007, 08:07 AM
I've owned both and suggest going with the Ksyrium SL's. For a mass-produced, all-around wheel they are hard to beat. They're definitely on the stiff side, but should hold up just fine with a bigger rider. That being said, they're still expensive at retail compared to a set of nice hand-built wheels, but Mavic's optional warranty is well worth the extra $$.

My expierience with X-lites, on the other hand wasn't that great. They're flimsy when compared to Ksyriums and Bontrager seems to be trying to do too many things with one wheel. I also had major issues with Shimano cassettes creating deep notches in the soft plastic rear hub body. It got bad enough that it took a rubber mallet to get the cassette off, and then I had to take a file to smooth it down.

mike p
07-21-2007, 08:14 AM
I'd go for the ksyrium's. I've had a pair for 4 year's now that I've never even had to have trued and I weight 190! Very hard to beat.

Mike

cmg
07-21-2007, 10:19 AM
What is the weight of the Ksyrium SL's rims? i never seen that posted. "they're still expensive at retail compared to a set of nice hand-built wheels," Visit the RBR wheels forum to see threads where this issue is talked to death about. Seems like you could build a lighter wheelset using lighter rims.

The photo is from the sheldon brown site about soft aluminum bodieshttp://sheldonbrown.com/images/aluminum-body.jpg

RPS
07-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Comments?Only that weight is highly overrated.
Wouldn't let that be the main driver.

TAW
07-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I've got a set of Ksyriums that I've had for at least 4 years. They're my everyday wheels and they hold up beautifully, ride decently and do everything fairly well. Not the most aero or the lightest, but I honestly wouldn't hesitate to buy another set, and I think you'd be happy with them.

Serotta PETE
07-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Krysiums have been bullet proof. A friend of mine who owns a high end store and gets a chance to ride all the high tech wheels always goes back to the MAVIC> I am 200 and the Mavic are just trouble free for me. (SL or ES).

There are some wheels lighter but I have always stuck with the Ks because I have nerver had problems :beer: .

SWorks4me
07-21-2007, 11:27 AM
SL's all the way.

myette10
07-21-2007, 11:38 AM
... and have ridden each for many miles. I'm 175 lbs and like them about equally. They pretty much feel the same and I've had not problems servicing either set. I busted a spoke on the x lites right in front of a shop once and was able to get home using a regular spoke which was nice. That never can happen with the Mavic and depending the hub on the x lites may not work with them either.

I can teel you this: I'd never consider using the x lites for cross, but use the ksyriums all the time. So for basically equal money, go with the Mavics.

Ken Robb
07-21-2007, 11:44 AM
I had zero problems with my Ks but---I sold them because I didn't like how much sidewinds pushed them around. If you are going to be in a windy area on your ride you may want to consider rims with low height.

For some reason the Spinergy SR3 wheels that came on my CSI are better in crosswinds though they are semi-aero rims. Aerodynamics: Ken's Big Mystery

pdxmech13
07-21-2007, 01:14 PM
I think that those prices are a little high.
If your gonna buy new wheels I would get the 2008 X lites as there have been some subtle improvements.

Jeff N.
07-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Eleven bills is steep for K-SL's. Check E-Bay...save hundreds. Or even Colo. Cyclist or Excel Sports. Jeff N.

Serotta PETE
07-21-2007, 03:07 PM
These are Austalian $s that he is talking and it probably includes VAT

RPS
07-21-2007, 03:23 PM
The photo is from the sheldon brown site about soft aluminum bodieshttp://sheldonbrown.com/images/aluminum-body.jpgSimilar problems are magnified by large guys using triples or compacts. We hear riders say I'm 200-lbs, but are they climbing in a 42/21 or 30/27? Makes a difference on equipment selection IMHO.

Jeff N.
07-21-2007, 05:13 PM
These are Austalian $s that he is talking and it probably includes VATOh, OK Pete. Didn't know. Jeff N.

vaxn8r
07-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Not to throw a wrench in your decision but if you have 10 speed how about DA 7801 or Campy Neutrons. Neither quite as sexy as what your contemplating but ATMO both are going to put a bigger smile on your face. They are well balanced, tough as nails, corner well and handle cross winds better. I ride K's and like them, but if I were buying today it'd be one of the above 2 sets. I can't speak for the Bontragers but they wouldn't be as high on my list only because I associate Bontrager with mountain bikes. That's just me though.

Fixed
07-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Not to throw a wrench in your decision but if you have 10 speed how about DA 7801 or Campy Neutrons. Neither quite as sexy as what your contemplating but ATMO both are going to put a bigger smile on your face. They are well balanced, tough as nails, corner well and handle cross winds better. I ride K's and like them, but if I were buying today it'd be one of the above 2 sets. I can't speak for the Bontragers but they wouldn't be as high on my list only because I associate Bontrager with mountain bikes. That's just me though.
me too ......cheers :beer:

hybridbellbaske
07-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Thanks for all the helpful replies. It seems that the K's have garnered way more votes.

I do have Campagnolo 10 speed, so Vax's suggestion re Neutrons bears further thought. Dumb question...can you use the DA wheels with Campy 10?

Edit- just to be clear- I am hybridbellbasket on my computer at work, and fierte 58 on my computer at home. I'm not quite sure how or why that happened-sorry for any confusion. Scary to see that I have way more posts as hbb than as fierte58. Hope my partners don't find out!