PDA

View Full Version : Alien seatpost and CO2 problems

MallyG
06-25-2004, 04:24 AM
Went out for a 115 mile ride yesterday (in 35mph winds throughout - scary!), but the biggest problem I had (again) was with my Alien seatpost. Once more it slipped back on it's mounting, and once more the saddle had to be completely disengaged and removed from the post, making it impossible to put back in exactly the same position. I'm now going to change to a Record seatpost. Anyone else have this problem?
Oh, and by the way, when I had a puncture, I went through three CO2 cannisters without success trying to inflate a tyre. Complete waste of time, especially as - in the end - I had to borrow a friends 'master blaster' mini pumb to do the job.
Anyone have any idea what went wrong?

Kevin
06-25-2004, 05:13 AM
Check the seals on the nozzle. Because the CO2 is so cold it freezes the seals when it is released. This turns the seals brittle. After a few uses the seals have to be replaced. Good luck.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
06-25-2004, 06:45 AM
. . . an Alien post because of many, MANY negative reviews on RoadBikeReview.com. Seems those little Allen bolts (2mm?) Are just a bit too short to engage well and a bit too flimsy--strip too easily. It seems to be a love it or hate it kind of piece of equipment. I think if they made the bolts just a leeeetle longer and a leeeetle bigger around it would solve many of their problems.

As it is, though, it does not seem worth a $130 experiment, and reflects badly on the other very nice looking pieces of equipment--bars, stem, etc--I have seen advertised by U.S.E.

BBDave

Kevan
06-25-2004, 07:28 AM
and I'm not just talking about Sandy. Though both are a pain in the neck. :D

Your problems aren't lost on me with this post, but once you get everything dialed in it works just fine. The headaches tho warrant no recommendation. Take care with the Record CF post, I've seen one break at the collar seemingly for no apparent reason. Some folk turn them backwards in order to properly work.

CO2, I believe, takes practice. Buy a few extra bottles, sit in the comfort of your kitchen and practice using the pump a couple times. Real life lab work usually includes the frustrations you mentioned.

Bruce K
06-25-2004, 07:52 AM
I too use an Alien Carbon post and actually like it. I have only had it slip once in 1.5 seasons and that was over a long period of time. Proper torque seems to be the key to keeping things in place.

A suggestion is to mark everything when you get it the way you want it. It seems to help getting things back again if something should move.

The complaints about the bolting system apparently have not fallen on deaf ears. I was talking with Andy at Ibex Sports (the importer/distributor) not that long ago and he told me they are changing the bolting system for 2005. There will also be a "retro fit kit" available at a small price if you want to "upgrade" your existing post.

Good luck with your new choice.

BK

victoryfactory
06-25-2004, 08:19 AM
Get rid of the CO2.
This is a prime example of technology, badly applied.
It fails too often.
It is not "green" (if you care about that)
It is not really that much smaller or lighter than a good minipump and patch kit
It is hard to control
It limits you to about 85 - 90 lbs max, which limits your ride
It is expensive
The carts rattle around in your kit.
It leaks out of your tire faster than real air.

Just because it seems like a good application of technology, many of us jumped on
the CO2 band wagon.
Don't be fooled! Get a good pump (I like the Crank Bros with the gauge)
It is less of a hassle to carry and it works great, every time, no frozen valves
no holes blasted right through your tube, no limit to use, no empty cannisters.

VF, on a mission against CO2!

va rider
06-25-2004, 08:43 AM
On the other hand, I have had nothing but good experiences with my C02. I have probably changed 30 tires in the last 4 to 5 years with the same inflater. At first, I may have wasted a canister or two. But, after that it has worked great. I can inflate a tire in about 2 seconds.

My tires pump up to 90-100 lbs. I have always found that sufficient to finish a ride.

Practice a few times with getting the inflater on correctly. I typically dispense a short blast of air to make sure it is seated properly. After that, I drain the canister and ride on.

BumbleBeeDave
06-25-2004, 08:58 AM
. . . as to call it a "big lie" . . .

• I've never had one fail. Invest in a few cartridges to use in practice.

• The larger cartridges handily put 110-115 lbs in a tire. Perfect to continue your ride. I carry two cartridges.

• I buy the cartridges that have a layer of foam wrapped around them. If I can't find any I wrap some duct tape around it and it stops the rattles.

• CO2 does indeed leak out of your tire, but certainly not fast enough to matter on a 2-3 hour ride. Just remember when you get home to let the CA2 out and replace it with "real" air with your floor pump.

• I have very few flats, so the expense factor is negligible for me.

• I have an inflator that has the trigger and "intelligent" valve adapter. Very good control. But I agree that the ones where you have to turn the collar, etc., would not be good.

• No, it's not really that much smaller or lighter than a pump, but I have never been enamoured of standing there by the side of the road for 10 minutes killing myself trying to get that last couple of lbs. of pressure in the tire--I've never been able to get it much above 100 lbs. anyway.

Just different strokes (no pun intended) for different folks--take your pick and go ride.

BBDave

zap
06-25-2004, 09:16 AM
Pump away with your mini pump. I will be far down the road with my CO2 filled tires.

I carry my kit in the back pocket so nothing rattles. None of this touristy saddle bag nonsense :D

Never had a problem and get full inflation.

USE Post

I ditched mine earlier this year because my saddle kept slipping back & down.
The underside of the post head is deformed so the clamp does not have anything to grip tightly too. Plus the USE post head was to flexible for seated power climbs.

I stayed away from Campy and went with a Titec carbon XC post. I needed a 31.6 so my choices were limited. Compared to the USE, it's heavier but offers a much more solid perch.

MallyG
06-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Have just bought the carbon Record seatpost. Please don't tell me it's cr*p!

jeffg
06-25-2004, 10:08 AM

It might not be crap, but it's no where near as reliable as a Thomson. Hey, it's your a**!

Ozz
06-25-2004, 12:19 PM

No, it's not cr*p, it's carbon... :)

Maybe you could find a 2003 Ti Chorus post as a backup? It's only 15g heavier and completely reliable!! ;)

Tom Robison
06-25-2004, 07:55 PM
It might not be crap, but it's no where near as reliable as a Thomson. Hey, it's your a**!

Hey Jeff, which Thomson do you have? I'm looking at the "Masterpiece". Impressions?

Tom

BumbleBeeDave
06-25-2004, 09:58 PM
. . . with the setback. Set it and forget it . . . easy to adjust (if you ever need to!) and STAYS adjusted! Great post . . .

My understanding is that the “Masterpiece“ post is an Elite that has been shaved in the clamp and the tubing ovalized. Worth the extra $$$ and weight saved? You decide . . .

BBDave

bulliedawg
06-26-2004, 09:45 AM
Flatted today for the first time in about two years. Used my co2. I have the little nozzle, you unscrew the cartridge to inflate. It worked beautifully, first to slightly inflate for installation, then to fully infate to rock hard. In fact, I had to uninfate to reach my optimum pressure. Used properly, I think co2 is an excellent product.

dirtdigger88
06-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Hey Jeff, which Thomson do you have? I'm looking at the "Masterpiece". Impressions?

Tom

Tom,
I looked at the masterpiece, here is what I thought. You are only losing something like 60 grams i believe, but the price difference is what almost double? Also, as of now I don't think they come in silver so I opted out right there. I am sure they work just fine, but it just seems like a lot of $$. I always liked Thomson posts because they are great to adjust, reasonably light and fairly cheap. (and they come in silver) I know, buy one and let us know

Jason

vaxn8r
06-26-2004, 03:30 PM
I have both Elites. The Masterpiece takes a great post and perfects it. You have to compare the two in your hands. Every spare gram is whitled away on the Masterpiece leaving nothing but lean function and form. They do not look much different from on the bike. It's inside and around the clamp you can really see the differences. The Masterpiece is exactly 40g less and at 157g it's lighter than a lot of CF posts.

Dirtdigger, come one now, if it's all about value why do you own a Serotta? The new Thomson is wonderfully engineered. What is the value of excellence?

Yes, it comes in setback, non-setback and polished or black.

victoryfactory
06-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Just like any other religious zealot, I have made up my mind on this
CO2 issue.
CO2 is the devil.
I will not listen to reason.You are all being fooled. I would rather blow up my
tires with lung-power (lord knows I have enough hot air) Than go back to
the evil CO2.

CO2... Don't go there.

VF, who also hates cell phones, (even though he has one)

Black Bart
06-26-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm with VictoryFactory, except I hate cell phones and DON'T own one. Zefal XP is the only way to fly. If I had a dollar for every friend's tire I've inflated after his or her CO2 thingie crapped out, I could buy each of them a frame pump of their own.

vaxn8r
06-27-2004, 12:43 AM
It goes both ways Black Bart. I bet I've inflated a dozen or so tires for my "pump" buddies who don't mind a 1 second fill job and off we go.

Black Bart
06-27-2004, 02:57 AM
Vaxn8r, if you have a good CO2 system and can make it work, more power to you. I have no stake in how you choose to inflate your tires. Just please tell me you aren't one of the many who throw the empty cartridges aside as if they would biodegrade sometime in this millennium. My real objection is with some of the users of these things, not with the systems themselves. I stand by my observation, however, that many of the systems just don't seem to work very well. My frame pump is fourteen years old, has never failed me and is still going strong.

dirtdigger88
06-27-2004, 08:57 AM
Dirtdigger, come one now, if it's all about value why do you own a Serotta? The new Thomson is wonderfully engineered. What is the value of excellence?

I value excellence, but if Ben and Co. came out with a "new and improved" legend that was 40g lighter I would not buy it. Look at the specs on my bike, I lean towards the middle of the road parts. Almost as light as the super light ones, but not quite and not quite as much $$. I has ITM Milenium bars 215g - $80, Thomson stem and post 190g each and $80. I have $12 bottle cages and training not racing rubber on my bike. I should have said that I would not change from myu Elite post to a masterpiece because the value to grams is not there. I did some calulations a while back, if i went with all the super light parts (not counting what I could do with a $2500 set of carbon wheels) I could have dropped another $400-$500 on my Legend, and it would have weighed about 3 oz (maybe 4) less that it does now. I weigh 195 lbs- is four ozs worth it? To some yes- to me no.

Jason

victoryfactory
06-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Come on guys, one more seatpost-post so I can get back to the CO2 thing.

VF, who's legs are tired after a great, windy ride but whose typing fingers
are just getting started....

PS: I wish I wasn't so hung up on looks so I could carry a frame pump too.
ah, style...

vaxn8r
06-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Black Bart, please tell you you don't throw away used innertubes or hose bike grease down the driveway and into the sewer. How long do you ride those tires before chucking them into a land fill? Please tell me you've never driven your car to the bike shop or to start a ride.

Sorry for being crotchety but I don't appreciate the tone which implies you're "greener" than me. Maybe you are maybe you aren't. You really have no idea so let's drop the personal attacks.

vaxn8r
06-28-2004, 11:31 PM
OK, my last remark was over the top....sorry for the rant.

Anyway, I was using a good old fashioned hand pump to get some air in my wife's tire---pre race, not pumping all that hard, hand stablizing the valve stem, when BAM!! The valve stem is cut in two, mid shaft. Looks like I took a hack saw to it. I showed it to the guy at my LBS and he says he sees that all the time. Well, not with CO2 you don't. That could have been a total disaster if down to one tube. A patch kit would be useless. Anyway, to each his own.

va rider
06-29-2004, 07:21 AM
VF - your a luddite?

You probably do not have high speed Internet at home either!

victoryfactory
06-29-2004, 08:02 AM
Okay, you got me. I can only offer this in my defense:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

-Ralph Wado Emerson

VF, who will never be accused of consistency

Black Bart
06-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Vaxn8r -

I did not intend the tone to which you objected, but upon re-reading my post I understand why you construed its presence. I apologize.

And to answer your questions: 1) No, I don't throw away used innertubes, at least not intentionally. San Jose claims they are recyclables and I consign them to the same weekly pickup that takes away paper and bottles. 2) I don't own a hose. I wash my bicycles in the middle of the back yard. 3) Tires go with the innertubes. I'm less confident that the city actually recycles them, but I tell myself they do. 4) I don't own a car, by choice. I commute and run errands by bicycle, as does my wife. She has a car which we use for longer trips. It's a 2003 Honda Civic hybrid; she's had it for eight months and it has 1400 miles on it. I think it's still on its fourth tank of gas.

Good luck with your upcoming double century. I've never done one, although I have completed too many century rides to remember. I've been over 150 miles several times and my butt has told me it was time to stop.

vaxn8r
06-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Ok....you are definitely greener than I am. Thanks for the post. :)

gwk
06-29-2004, 02:59 PM
MallyG,

The key to inflating with a CO2 cartridge it to keep the cartridge upright (vertical with the opening on top) while inflating. I wasted a few until I finally read the directions and figured out what I was doing wrong.