PDA

View Full Version : MTB Tire

sevencyclist
07-20-2007, 11:45 AM
I am doing a 24 hours marathon race on a dry course with lots of loose sand over hardpack in the beginning of September. Any suggestions for a fast and light front tire in 2.1 size that gives the bike good directional control? How about a rear tire that has low rolling resistance and gives decent forward traction?

I find that front tire makes a bigger difference in the handling of the bike and rear tire makes a greater difference in forward propelling of the bike, but many non front/rear specific tires makers claim that their tire has the best in traction/control/rolling resistance for both front and the rear, which obviously is hard to do when you are trying to maximize different funcitons.

Scientifically does higher knob heights give any advange to holding on to the trail in dry loose sand over hardpacks? Many tire makers seem to suggest that the knobs only makes a difference when they are on the edge of the tire, but to me the center knob seems to be the one doing most of the work even during turns. Does it make sense to have fewer taller and bigger center knob contacting the trail, or better to have more shorter and smaller knobs biting on the trail? Any physicists out there who can explain this to me? Thanks.

chuckred
07-20-2007, 11:53 AM
This is a tried and true good all arounder... fairly light, I've had good luck in conditions like you described with 37 lbs front and 50 rear - great traction, rolls well, etc. The classic Smoke and Dart combo still seems pretty good...

Schwalbe has some very light weight tires that I'm considering, but they may be a bit too fragile for a 24 hour or endurance race?

There's a new Continental I'm considering as well.

At Leadville, the Hutchinson Python seems to be well regarded, but I haven't tried it.

coylifut
07-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Kenda Nevegal with Stick E center. very fast with great control

sevencyclist
07-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Kenda Nevegal with Stick E center. very fast with great control
Thanks for the feedback. Kenda has the newer "baby Nevegal" in the form of Small Block Eight where the same shape lugs are used, but has more but smaller knobs across. I am wondering how these things perform. FWIW, the SB8 are lighter by about 100 gm and supposedly less rolling resistance, but not sure they perform.

shanerpvt
07-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Kenda has the newer "baby Nevegal" in the form of Small Block Eight where the same shape lugs are used, but has more but smaller knobs across. I am wondering how these things perform. FWIW, the SB8 are lighter by about 100 gm and supposedly less rolling resistance, but not sure they perform.

SB8 much faster rolling with WAY less " Bite" in the sand or loose stuff. i roll a 2.35 SB8 in back & a 2.35 Nev in front w/ Stan's for "all mt" or "trail" type of use. I think the Karma is kind-of in-between, but I haven't heard much good about them. I agree with the Stick-E - I personally haven't had the best luck with the Dual Compound from Kenda.

FATBOY
07-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Specialized Resolution Pro 2.1 is a really high volume tire that corners quite well in the loose stuff. For a bit more dig mate it with a Roll-X 2.0 in the back, this tire digs and brakes quite well but rolls on hardpack too. If you want a really fast rear tire the Fasttrack is available in two knob heights. The standard tread works well in the Wasatch here, shaley/sandy on top of hard dirt, but the LK (low knob) rolls really well on the hard stuff. These are available in 2.0 or 2.2. I like big tires at 24 hr. races for the extra comfort and better grip when the mind and body start to squabble with one another.

Kirk Pacenti
07-22-2007, 06:14 PM
sevencyclist,

I think the new Panaracer "Razer" is one of the better tires out for the conditions your tackling.

http://www.panaracer.com/mtb.php

I like the MX 2.3 for the front and the XC 2.1 for the rear.

cheers,

KP

pdonk
07-22-2007, 06:22 PM
I have been riding hutchinson pythons on the rear for the past 3 years and can say they work well in all conditions. Having riden a specialized tire with a similar tread pattern, I would not recomend them for the front.

Before that I was a michelin wildgripper devotee, and would still ride them if the shop I get pro deals at ever had them in when I was there.

Before that I was on panaracer fire xc and smoke lite compes for years (both 1.9's super light and fast).

I tend to prefer smaller, lighter tires that while they will spin out, you know will hook up if you just keep pedalling.

As for fronts, I am riding a panaracer dart, it is ok. Before that I was on some kona tires for a while. I have never really found a front tire I like.

Ginger
07-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm not a Kenda fan, but I had very good experience with a set of borrowed Nevagals racing Iceman, and that was a ton of sand sand sand...I had them for a while and they did well on technical "stuff" too.

sevencyclist
07-23-2007, 12:15 PM
As for fronts, I am riding a panaracer dart, it is ok. Before that I was on some kona tires for a while. I have never really found a front tire I like.

Yeah, I have not found any "amazing" front tires, that is why I have posted this thread in search of something that will keep me from sliding away on the thin film of sand over hardpack on turns. Most tires work fairly well for the rear, and as you mentioned, as long as one keeps pedaling, the tire eventually hooks up again, but the front might only have one chance before sliding out.

Thanks to all for your input. Sounds like most of the better front tires are going to be a little heavier.

I don't know if this is scientifically true. Someone once told me that weight of tire does not matter for the front since it is not part of the drive. Unless the tire is being lifted up to hop over rocks, then the weight does not slow down the ride to much; whereas the rear tire's weight is part of what needs to be spun to generate forward motion, so the weight is more important to the speed. Somehow that does not make sense to me. Am I wrong?